It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Background of Supreme Court nominee Judge John Roberts Jr

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I have put together a few notes on Supreme Court nominee Judge John Roberts Jr. viewpoints that have been publised since the Reagan era. Mayhap, it will open some eyes as to just how his opinions may influence his decisions if he becomes a Supreme Court Judge. Hope all will find this informative.

School Prayer
Roberts sided with Rehnquist on school prayer
Basically, he felt that the 1985 Supreme Court ruling that halted the "moment of silence" in the classroom as being indefensible according to the Constituion.

In his files, Roberts kept a copy of Rehnquist's dissent from the 1985 "moment-of-silence" case, espousing the future chief justice's oft-stated view that the Constitution prevents Congress from declaring an official national religion, but that it does not require absolute government neutrality toward religion.

I personally agree with this stance. A moment of silence, reflection is not a support of any religion or even the idea of religion.

Equal Pay

Equal Pay (note this is the Chcago tribune and will need a free sign up to read article

The theory, supported by the Carter administration to achieve pay equity, was one of the more contentious labor issues of the time. When a federal judge approved it in Washington state in 1983, Roberts harshly criticized the novel ruling as giving judges, not the market, the power to decide the value of different jobs, according to new documents released Monday.

I don't think that there needs to be any comments on this one. He really set himself up with his stance.

Church-State Issue

Views on church-state issue

Rehnquist has argued that the Constitution does not demand absolute neutrality or even ''hostility" to religion. O'Connor has been more skeptical, particularly in cases such as school prayer and displays of the Ten Commandments on government property. The documents released yesterday suggest that Roberts's view may be closer to Rehnquist's than to O'Connor's

This will definately cause a stir with many who believe that any accomadation to religion by the goverment is un-Constitutional.

Roberts started on path to success at young age

I offer this up to you to show that Mr. Roberts seems to have been groomed for this nomination from an early age.
The following quote is from age 16

"I tend to think that the presence of the opposite sex in the classroom will be confining rather than catholicizing," he wrote. "I would prefer to discuss Shakespeare's double entendre and the latus rectum of conic sections without a londe giggling and blushing behind me."

I have some serious doubts that this man will be able to fulfill his role as a Supreme Court Justice without really sc**ing things up and causing even more dissention in this country.

join