It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

did jesus spend time/die in India ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I had heard a few weeks ago about a tomb located in Kashmir and which is supposed to be the real burial site of Jesus, he would have survived the crucifixion and left for India (where he already might have spent some time at a younger age)

a lot of speculations have been going on about the real story behind all of this e.g. the vinegar given to Jesus on the cross ( vinegar was used as a drink,applied and wounds of all sorts and a common way to dilute medication )this vinegar might have been mixed with a powerful drug leading to a deep "coma" allowing to save Jesus.

"Vinegar was used in Greece to preserve an assortment of herbs, roots, meats and vegetables. The Romans used vinegar to cook with as well. A drink of sweetened diluted vinegar called “posca” (poor man’s wine) was popular among the common fold and roman soldiers. Ancient history tells us that when Hannibal let his army over the Alps to enter Rome, he used vinegar to dissolve the snow and make the march less slippery."

jesus lived in India

jesus tomb in kashmir

Jesus journeyed to india

Yus Asaf in wikipedia

i suppose we are not close to see any decent research done on this matter considering the huge impact on the christian church if it happened to be fact.
but who knows ........

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I haven't seen this particular claim before, but I have seen several like it. A few months back, there was an ATS thread titled something like 'did Jesus visit Japan?' Also, the Mormon church (of which I am a member) believes Jesus visited North America after the events described in the New Testament. I absolutely do not believe that Jesus died in India, but I am willing to consider the possibility he visited there, although I consider it unlikely, unless I come across some convincing evidence.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I do recall hearing about a tomb in or around kashmir that I think you are talking about. THe local tradition is that its a wise man or something who, I think even performed miracles similar to the ones attributed to jesus, and maybe he came form the far west. There is also a 'footprint' in the stone that supposedly has a mark that is equivalent to the large scar left from crucifxtion.

Doesn't make sense tho, a footprint isn't going to form in stone like that. Also, the idea that jesus went to the far east, while it might make sense in light of the 'pacifism' of the jesus movement (in line with buddhism and some types of hinduisn, jainism, etc), doesn't make sense in the context of the history that we know.

The Apostles don't seem to be aware that jesus was still alive and merely vacationing in the far East. And I'd think that when Paul comes along and says that he saw a vision of him, that the other's would know that he was lying and that jesus wasn't dead.

Also, I don't think that its reasonable to say that they figured their movement was better off with him 'dead' and away, rather than actually there, in person, able to show to everyone that he had died and was resurrected.

Also, supposedly some of the apostles went east to evangelize, just like Peter and Paul went West. St. Thomas went all the way to Southern India in some traditions. Doesn't make sense that he'd not stay in contact with the Big Teacher.

As far as the mixture, there's a few problems. There is no known mixture that would do this. The stuff that's given to him, its not really clear whether its vinegar, over-aged wine, or sometimes I think I've heard it reported as something almost like bile. And, regardless, he's stabbed with a spear after being seen to expire (in the story anyways). If the story isn't realiable enough to report that he's alive, then why is it reliable enough to report that he was given this (non-existant) coma-inducing drink? I mean, if they were covering it up, why in the world would they ever report that aspect??

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I believe that Jesus did travel to India, and other places...his teachings are (imho) based in buddhism. I don't base this only on the bible, but the nag hammadi texts and some others as well. Jesus' teachings were radical for that area, but not in others...his "missing years" in the bible also should be a clue that he was somewhere.
I believe his ascension was not literal, and that he did not die as the bible says. The graves in japan and india ....both people believe they are right, but both cannot be...unless one is his son with the same name. There was speculation that there were well over 100 men from the area with the same name...who knows? One of them may have cashed in on it. lol We may never know....but it's fun speculating. lol

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Heard about Prophet Isa (Jesus) in kashmir. I highly doubt that. Also considering Muslim and Christians believe he is in Heaven. And we both are awaiting his descent sometime in the future.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by maidenwolf
I believe that Jesus did travel to India, and other places...his teachings are (imho) based in buddhism. I don't base this only on the bible, but the nag hammadi texts and some others as well.

But these other texts show that what jesus was saying wasn't unsual for the era and area, that they didn't have to be imported from a far away nation, and that they were infact in a very jewish context.

Jesus' teachings were radical for that area, but not in others...his "missing years" in the bible also should be a clue that he was somewhere.

The 'missing years' only exist because we hear that he was a prodigy as a child, and next we hear about the passion itself. There's no reason to think that he went all the way to india, or anywhere else. Besides, the Apostles'd probably mention that he had been to the ends of the earth and all that jazz, it sounds good.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I do recall hearing about a tomb in or around kashmir that I think you are talking about. THe local tradition is that its a wise man or something who, I think even performed miracles similar to the ones attributed to jesus, and maybe he came form the far west. There is also a 'footprint' in the stone that supposedly has a mark that is equivalent t o the large scar left from crucifxtion.

agreed a footprint is far from being a credible proof , be it scarred or not, but eventhough i'm absolutely against sepulture desacrations, i'd be curious to see the results of an authopsy on the body of that man , if results would be negative we could at least put a lid on this whole story

Doesn't make sense tho, a footprint isn't going to form in stone like that. Also, the idea that jesus went to the far east, while it might make sense in light of the 'pacifism' of the jesus movement (in line with buddhism and some types of hinduisn, jainism, etc), doesn't make sense in the context of the history that we know.

don't forget the probable influences by mithraism and zoroastrism
only these two influences deserve their own thread imho

The Apostles don't seem to be aware that jesus was still alive and merely vacationing in the far East. And I'd think that when Paul comes along and says that he saw a vision of him, that the other's would know that he was lying and that jesus wasn't dead.

Alas the only testimonies we have of the apostles have been reported by others. I'm not trying to say thes cannot be believed but i'll give you another example : ever heard about the french massacres in Madagascar during colonial times (probably not has been kept quite a secret,100.000 casualties to quench the "rebellion")officialy only a few hundred until last year when the french president asked for forgiveness in the name of the french nation and admited to the until then unofficial figures.What i want to say by this is that different factions will have different versions according to their goals.In such old writings ,considering the number of sources and and writers one cannot consider that facts have been reported without "adaptation"

Also, I don't think that its reasonable to say that they figured their movement was better off with him 'dead' and away, rather than actually there, in person, able to show to everyone that he had died and was resurrected.

don't forget that the hebrews were actualy waiting for the messiah, "officialy" Jesus was dead and he was a martyr and could be considered as the messiah by some of the population , the zealots for example had a lot to win politically by manipulating the events

Also, supposedly some of the apostles went east to evangelize, just like Peter and Paul went West. St. Thomas went all the way to Southern India in some traditions. Doesn't make sense that he'd not stay in contact with the Big Teacher.

if they had known that he was still alive , but i'm not very familiar with the apostles missions after Jesus' death i'm affraid

As far as the mixture, there's a few problems. There is no known mixture that would do this. The stuff that's given to him, its not really clear whether its vinegar, over-aged wine, or sometimes I think I've heard it reported as something almost like bile. And, regardless, he's stabbed with a spear after being seen to expire (in the story anyways). If the story isn't realiable enough to report that he's alive, then why is it reliable enough to report that he was given this (non-existant) coma-inducing drink? I mean, if they were covering it up, why in the world would they ever report that aspect??

i'll have to look it up as i saw a very interesting documentary (could have been BBC) a few months ago about the events , a few historians and scientists presented a whole list of possible versions of the events and giving more details about the "mixture" that could have been used , as far as i remember it is reported in the bible that jesus even refused to drink it , stabbed yes , but by a roman "pilum" which is actualy a throwing weapon, roman soldiers advancing on enemy troops would first throw their lighter pilum (greater range) then the heavy pilum , the pilum had two functions kill, injure of course, but if none of both happened piulums would render the usage of the shield it penetrated impossible leaving the enemy defenseless and an easy kill with the roman shortsword . The pilum was not the type of lance most people think of which looks like a double-edged knife at the end of a pole , which is not supposed to thrown but used as a stabbing weapon .
If stabbed with such a lance (not javelin or pilum) Jesus (or any other human being) would have died instantly

hope i made a bit of sense, english not being my mother tongue

[edit on 16-8-2005 by Hvitserk]

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hvitserk
I had heard a few weeks ago about a tomb located in Kashmir and which is supposed to be the real burial site of Jesus, he would have survived the crucifixion and left for India (where he already might have spent some time at a younger age)...

jesus lived in India

jesus tomb in kashmir

Jesus journeyed to india

Yus Asaf in wikipedia

Did Issa/Jesus or Jus Asaf (which means Leader of the Healed) escape crucifixion and venture to India?

The research links you provided, along with those I list at the bottom of this post, point to Issa/Jesus escaping death on the cross and probably not even being arrested by the Romans in the first place.

Jesus' "no show" in recent decades also serves to confirm that he never rose from the dead -- despite the Gifts of the Spirit (like Healing and Telekinesis) that are attributed to him and mentioned in the New Testament.

According to the entity, Seth (who claimed to have been a Catholic pope), through Jane Roberts in the 1970s, the whole story of Jesus is distorted. Seth stated:

1. That Judas did not betray Jesus but saved him from the Roman authorities.

2. That another was chosen in Jesus' place to die on the cross.

3. That Mary Magdelene (who was never a prostitute and was married to Jesus), came to the cross out of compassion for the man who was chosen and drugged to die for him.

4. That the reason why Jesus told his followers not to touch him after his purported death is because he never went to the cross.

Jesus also had the Gift of Stigmata, as others have had -- like Francis of Assisi and also Padre Pio (which has been documented) in recent years -- and that was how Jesus "proved" to his followers that he was on the cross.

5. That the crucifixion was a "psychic event" and not an actual physical event.

Afterwhich, Jesus made a discreet exit from the area and, with the help of his disciples, eluded the Roman authorities completely.

>

Biography of Jesus/Issa

Jesus/Issa In India

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Uh, no, He did not live in India, and His words are not that of Budhism.
His life was well documented, except for the years He was a child. During those years, He would have been a good Jewish boy, assisting His earthly father There is no mystery around this, just conjurings of fanciful notions by people who cannot accept the Gospels.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   

But these other texts show that what jesus was saying wasn't unsual for the era and area, that they didn't have to be imported from a far away nation, and that they were infact in a very jewish context.
(Bold added)

If they weren't that different and he wasn't teaching anything unusual for the area and era as you state, then their whole reasoning religiously and politically for having him killed is not true...so outside of those 2 reasons, what was the reason(s) they wanted him gone?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by maidenwolf
If they weren't that different and he wasn't teaching anything unusual for the area and era as you state, then their whole reasoning religiously and politically for having him killed is not true

The romans and other autorities wanted him dead because he was calling for the destruction of the state and claiming himself to be king. What I mean by not radical is that he wasn't talking about chakras or meditating under the Boddista or encountering the various gods of the underworld and enlightenment and all that jazz. He talks about the messiah, the lord, baptism, piety, struggle, etc, which aren't alien ideas, like real ascetism (perhaps anyway), reincarnation, Kali and Shiva, or any specifically 'eastern' ideas. The gospels talk about whether or not you need to keep kosher, but not about going vegetarian, so to speak.

Hvitserk:
Most of what yer saying is pretty reasonable. I'd be curious to hear about a mixture that could have quite the effect looked for. A pilum is definitly not spear (in the normal sense), I agree wholeheartendly with that. Certainly wouldn't want to be jabbed with one tho!

Here's one from the 1st century

Bent, probably because it was used!

I have some trouble thinking that a person can survive a good old roman flogging, being hammered to a stick for three days, and then stabbed with one of those.

Also, think about it, if the Apostles were allied with people like the Zealots and wanted to foment a revolution, it'd work out very nicely to have the Leader returned in body to rally the rabble at a critical point and establish the new kingdom. I think that, regardless of everything else, that the Apostles seemed to be relatively sincere (also disregarding issues of not having contemporary gospels).

[edit on 16-8-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by maidenwolf The graves in japan and india ....

Yeah there is a town in Japan where the residents claim was Jesus' final resting place. Supposedly Jesus' brother went to the cross for him and Jesus fled to Japan and got married (or brought a wife?) and had kids and lived happily ever after. Of course this would be later in his life and would mean none of his teachings were influenced by Japans philosophy, but rather the religious teachings of Japan could have been influenced by Jesus.

Jesus apparently died sooner than most from crucifixion, but most people put on the cross probably didnt go through as much torture. Not many would endure all that for someone else, unless I guess they thought Jesus was really the son of God which may be why the Replacement Jesus cried out "my God has forsaken me" upon crucifixion. Or not.

Or maybe... could have... possibly... almost... maybe?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Seems like as good a place as any to ask this question, but a passage I read in the Gospel of Luke, I interpreted as saying that Jesus' brother James traveled with him. I'll look up the exact passage when I get home, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about, could you enlighten me?

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
ive heard that Jesus rich uncle Joseph of Arimethia? owned tin mines in northern europe (Joseph the tin man), and that its theorhetically possible that jesus travelled with him over europe.

Jesus was touched after his death, by doubting thomas. The verse your going to use when he got out of the tomb should be translated dont hold me up (or prevent me from going).

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Uh, no, He did not live in India, and His words are not that of Budhism.
His life was well documented, except for the years He was a child. During those years, He would have been a good Jewish boy, assisting His earthly father There is no mystery around this, just conjurings of fanciful notions by people who cannot accept the Gospels.

absolutely right i do not accept the gospels , i do not accept what has been told about jesus as fact because it is clear that over the centuries people(and church) have/could have adapted it , just like i do not accept that earth was created in 6 days.
The fact that D. Icke wrote about shapeshifting reptilians is lightyears away from making me believe him .
I suppose that a few centuries ago i would have ended on a pyre for questionning the "holy scriptures" and other gospels , but nowadays it's not so dangerous anymore is it ? I'm a skeptic and i will remain so.

"sour wine"

sedative ?

morphine sulfate and acetic acid ?

4 evangelists disagree

"I dreamt that I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?" - Chuang Tsu

[edit on 17-8-2005 by Hvitserk]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paul_Richard

1. That Judas did not betray Jesus but saved him from the Roman authorities.

2. That another was chosen in Jesus' place to die on the cross.

3. That Mary Magdelene (who was never a prostitute and was married to Jesus), came to the cross out of compassion for the man who was chosen and drugged to die for him.

4. That the reason why Jesus told his followers not to touch him after his purported death is because he never went to the cross.

Jesus also had the Gift of Stigmata, as others have had -- like Francis of Assisi and also Padre Pio (which has been documented) in recent years -- and that was how Jesus "proved" to his followers that he was on the cross.

5. That the crucifixion was a "psychic event" and not an actual physical event.

Afterwhich, Jesus made a discreet exit from the area and, with the help of his disciples, eluded the Roman authorities completely.

1. Judas did betray Jesus, and was paid 30 pieces of silver for doing so. However, he hung himself out of remorse after realizing he had betrayed the Son of God.

2. It was, in fact, Jesus himself who took our sins on the cross. No one else.

3. Actually, Jesus was never married, and Mary Magdelene was in fact a sexually immoral woman.

4. I don't know where you heard that, but it's not the case:

Luke 24: 39 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have."

5. I don't understand what you mean. How could a crucifixion by the Roman government be "psychic?"

And also, he wouldn't have needed to evade the Roman authorities, for they had no dispute with him. Rather, it was the Jewish authorities who wanted Jesus dead.

The notion that Jesus never died is simply untrue. Why can't people just accept the fact that Jesus came to die for our sins? Too proud?

[edit on 28-3-2009 by blackkfox]

top topics

join