It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Monsanto files patent for new invention: the pig

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Monsanto is by far the leading producer of genetically engineered seed, holding 70% - 100% market share for various crops and became with their recent acquisition of Seminis Inc ( they were very close before) also the largest conventional seed company in the world. This article shows how Monsanto is not resting on it's laurels and that it is seeking to virtually patent pigs and their offspring by claiming rights to certain breeding methods and the offspring that results in.

www.greenpeace.org
"Geneva, Switzerland — It's official. Monsanto Corporation is out to own the world's food supply, the dangers of genetic engineering and reduced biodiversity notwithstanding, as they pig-headedly set about hog-tying farmers with their monopoly plans. We've discovered chilling new evidence of this in recent patents that seek to establish ownership rights over pigs and their offspring."

"The patent applications were published in February 2005 at the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) in Geneva. A Greenpeace researcher who monitors patent applications, Christoph Then, uncovered the fact that Monsanto is seeking patents not only on methods of breeding, but on actual breeding herds of pigs as well as the offspring that result."

"According to Christoph Then, "I couldn't belive this. I've been reviewing patents for 10 years and I had to read this three times. Monsanto isn't just seeking a patent for the method, they are seeking a patent on the actual pigs which are bred from this method. It's an astoundingly broad and dangerous claim."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

To say that Monsanto has a questionable record when it comes to their concern for human health is giving them a great deal of credit as the continued sale of their flagship product 'Roundup' indicates. Roundup is the world's single most popular herbicide despite a great deal of evidence that shows how exposure to this herbicide results in symptoms that are similar to those noted by the Monsanto employees in the 1940s, and soldiers and civilians who were sprayed in Vietnam with the defoliant agent orange.

The Agent Orange produced by Monsanto had dioxin levels many times higher than that produced by Dow Chemicals, the other major supplier of Agent Orange to Vietnam. After it came to light that Monsanto had known about the toxicity as early as the late 1940's, and had tried to cover it up, US veterans sued Monsanto and the company settled out of court paying about $80 million in damages.

"According to the 1994 "Seventh Annual Report on Carcinogens," Agent Orange causes "toxic effects in animals includ[ing]... vascular lesions, chloracne, teratogenicity, fetotoxicity, impaired reproductive performance, endometriosis and delayed death." It also proved toxic to humans. The application of Agent Orange and TCDD caused more than 50,000 birth defects and hundreds of thousands of cancers in Vietnamese civilians and soldiers on both sides of the conflict. The effects of Agent Orange are still being experienced 26 years after the end of the war."

"The US has dumped [on South Vietnam] a quantity of toxic chemical amounting to six pounds per head of population, including women and children."

-- US Senator Gaylord Nelson

If patenting of pigs can ever be supported legally would you want this company involved? Is this who we want in control of what you may sow, breed with and later eat when they are apparently so uncaring when it comes to easily identifiable toxins such as dioxin?

Related News Links:
www.grain.org
www.animalconcerns.org

[edit on 16-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Seem that i may need some help.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Edit: Nevermind, the link wont work..

[edit on 8/16/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I have compiled some research here on ATS on this thread...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Take patent application WO 2005/017204. This refers to pigs in which a certain gene sequence related to faster growth is detected. This is a variation on a natural occurring sequence -- Monsanto didn't invent it.

It was first identified in mice and humans.

So what if you happen to own a pig that ends up with the gene sequence identified? With this company's history of going after farmers who's crops have been cross pollinated with their own (due to nature) this is really frightening. Seems from some other threads they also have a shady history in some areas bribing and suing their way into acceptance of their products as well.

I can't believe the audacity of this company and how it goes unchecked. Everything they touch just further adulterates our food supply and hurts our farmers. Seems to me they have long ago crossed the lines that should make them a target of an anti-trust lawsuit, but it will never happen.

Thanks for the heads up, as I decided quite some time ago to review my mutual fund holdings for shares of Monsanto, but I keep forgetting to do it. I seriously want to make sure that I have none of their stock. From what I can see they are almost single-handedly responsible for making it impossible to eat healthy natural food and until people wake up it becomes less and less likely that their products could ever be avoided or removed from the food chain.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
This story was posted last week!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
disgusting, immoral and obscene...you can no more own a life than you can own a soul, their very natures are transendant of time and place...but I would not expect anything less from mosantos or ADM.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
This story was posted last week!!!

I searched the forum and did not spot your post. It may be the fact that your title was abit obscure? Either way i apologise for stealing your thunder.

Stellar

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Anyway it seems to me that the only people standing up to monsanto right now are Greenpeace and the Farmers who Monsanto is suing atm. Biological Patents should be re-looked into. Will that happen? Doubtful. The IP Industry has literally gone insane. The system worked in the 19th and 20th centuries but now it's just an archiac relic that threatens the sanctity of life.

I would give Monsanto credit if they were using their IP for good, like making drought resistant crops and sell it for cost to drought plauged parts of the world, but they don't they go the way of Greed and Evil. I know that is harsh sounding rhetoric but it's completely true in this case. Allot of people rail on M$ for being the most Evil company but I disagree. Monsanto is by far the Creepiest most evil company out their. I generally don't like to use such strong terms as Evil and Hate as I believe they should be reserved for extreme circumstances but Monstanto is an extreme circumstance waiting to happen, anyone sane would agree.

[edit on 16-8-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The only way the" little guy" can fight back, is to not give them your business. Buy only certified organic, "free range" and "cruelty free" products from local farmers. Better yet, go vegetarian and start your own garden!

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollmonster
The only way the" little guy" can fight back, is to not give them your business. Buy only certified organic, "free range" and "cruelty free" products from local farmers. Better yet, go vegetarian and start your own garden!

lol Are you living in a dreamworld? How available is Organic food in the USA? It's fairly good in my city, but from what I've heard in lots of places it's simple not even available. Or there is a stigma against it. Or a thousand other reasons. A company should not be able to Patent an entire living Species. Period. What's next, Patented Humans? lol Extreme yes but who knows what this Century will bring if we let companies like Monsanto roam loose and wild with little restriction or oversight.

top topics

join