It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"new" Canadian aircraft?

page: 1

join
share:
jra

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out what 'new' (probably used, but new for us) aircraft Canada is getting. I have a cousin who has a friend in the Air force who is apparently going to the US some time soon or at the begining of next year to train on some new aircraft that we're getting. I just don't know what it is exactly. Apparently it's a two seat, short range aircraft. That's all I know, sorry.

I found a list of things that are being improved, but it doesn't sound like any of these are it:

# Fixed-Wing Search and Rescue Aircraft to replace the CC-115 Buffalo aircraft;
# Medium- to heavy-lift helicopters to support land and special operations missions;
# Maritime Helicopters to replace the Sea Kings;
# Uninhabited Aerial Vehicles to support domestic and international operations;
# Modernized CF-18 Hornet fighters, with satellite-guided air-to-ground capabilities
# Modernized CP-140 Aurora surveillance aircraft
# CC-150 Polaris Air to Air Refuelling aircraft
# New aircraft to replace the CC-138 Twin Otter

I'm sure this 2 seater plane is nothing special, but I am rather curious as to what it could be.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I was thinking of the BAE Hawk, but I think Canada already has its full complement of these.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Canada is buying F35 JSF although I am ot sure which version. Also they might upgrading their Hornets to SuperHornets

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I Am Canadian........

Just out of curiosity, what do we have now and how many???
Could we kick the ass living on the farm in the next field???

It just seems that we have very little to offer when the donkey doo hits the fan....

jra

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by iris_failsafe
Canada is buying F35 JSF although I am ot sure which version. Also they might upgrading their Hornets to SuperHornets

I don't think it's for sure if Canada is buying the F-35. They've put a few hundred million into it's development. The money being invested is mostly to open doors for the Canada's aerospace industries in obtaining Joint Strike Fighter contracts and what not. But if Canada were to get the F-35, it would be the 'A' version.

Either way, the F-35 isn't ready yet and it also isn't a two seater.

I don't know if my cousin miss heard or miss understood his friend, there's a chance of that. It does sorta sound like the CT-155 Hawk or something, which we do already have. So who knows...

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
The only thing I could find so far, is the following......

Ship-borne anti-submarine helicopter squadrons are currently operating the 40-year old CH-124 Sea King with the new CH-148 Cyclone beginning in 2008. The Cyclone is the proposed maritime version of the Sikorsky H-92 Superhawk.

Search and rescue squadrons have also seen new aircraft when the CH-149 Cormorant replaced the CH-113 Labrador beginning in 2002. The CC-115 Buffalo short takeoff and landing fixed wing aircraft are also being replaced in the 2000s with a dedicated STOL search and rescue aircraft.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Looks like maybe the C-27J for the SAR plane. Developed in 1997, first flew in 2001 for Italy.

www.simviation.com...

The C-27J is an answer to the need of renewing the Search and Rescue airlift fleet (the Buffalos and the C-130s) of the Canadian Government, which could purchase 15 units of the Italian-U.S. airlifter. The aircraft has already been formally evaluated by the Air Forces of Australia, Taiwan, Ireland, Portugal, Bulgaria, Czech Republic and other countries that have recently joined NATO.
www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jra
# Fixed-Wing Search and Rescue Aircraft to replace the CC-115 Buffalo aircraft;
# Medium- to heavy-lift helicopters to support land and special operations missions;
# Maritime Helicopters to replace the Sea Kings;
# Uninhabited Aerial Vehicles to support domestic and international operations;
# Modernized CF-18 Hornet fighters, with satellite-guided air-to-ground capabilities
# Modernized CP-140 Aurora surveillance aircraft
# CC-150 Polaris Air to Air Refuelling aircraft
# New aircraft to replace the CC-138 Twin Otter

here is another to add another the list a replacement needed for the C-130's. Our hercs are given so much flight time and need to be keep in such good shape we could have another sea king situation again.

also its is the cyclone that is lined up and a some what of a contract signed for the chopper. Canada is suppose to get 28 fully integrated maritime helicopters.

I posted the list of planes we had earlier on a thread but i can't find it. either way we have 104 operational CF-18s with 16 more being used for parts of sorts or in storage.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Just out of curiosity, what do we have now and how many???
Could we kick the ass living on the farm in the next field???

We have:

F/A 18's, not sure how many
Seahawks, Not sure how many,
Seagulls. Lots.. and Lots... of Seagulls.

I think the best weapon we have is a guy tied to the wing with a handgun.

I highly doubt that we are going to upgrade to Super Hornets, but the F-35's are a might. The thing is I don't think we can afford much armament for any of these aircraft. I do hope, however, that we replace the aging Seahawks... They're a stain on our military. But one on one giant stain won't make a difference I suppose.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
I was thinking of the BAE Hawk, but I think Canada already has its full complement of these.

Yes the canadian air-force is using the Hawk, but only for training...

[edit on 16-8-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by Hon. J. Michael Forrestall
Honourable senators, my question for the government leader has to do with ensuring that there are aircraft available for search and rescue in Canada. As the leader will recall, the Minister of Finance promised, almost a year ago, some $300 million to the Canadian Forces to allow them to purchase 15 aircraft within the next 12 to 18 months to replace the aging C-130 Hercules and the CC-115 Buffalo. The Department of National Defence has recently said the procurement to replace the fixed-wing search and rescue aircraft is waiting on the statement of requirements — where have we heard that phrase for the last 20 years — and that that document is waiting for the release of the defence review. Can the minister confirm that this is a proper scenario thus far?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH

I posted the list of planes we had earlier on a thread but i can't find it. either way we have 104 operational CF-18s with 16 more being used for parts of sorts or in storage.

Thanks for the info. and to keep it current, that number is now 103.
A CF-18 crashed in Quebec today and the pilot was able to eject to safety.
This was being reported on CTV News.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
My bet is on a Super Hornet variant - one without an airframe as prone to stress- fractures as the Hornet that just fell out of the sky in Bagotville. BTW: the pilot has survived after punching out... Phew glad he wasn't flyin' one of our "subs" eh?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I've heard some rumours that they're batting around attack helicopters for places like afganistan. There are some surplus appache longbows for sale in europe but not enough to be effective (6 I think). So the talk has turned towards used cobras.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Well, this is still top secret cause the world isn't sure if Canada is ready for such a huge advancement in aviation, but i'm going to go ahead and let you in on it. Here's a picture of the new aircraft Canada is getting:

We sure hope you folks don't get all crazy with it.

Wupy

jra

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
*Bump*

Well I finally just found out what it is just moments ago. It's the Dassault Dornier Alpha Jet Aparently some in the RCAF don't even know that these have been bought yet. I have no official links to confirm this though, sorry.

[edit on 16-9-2005 by jra]

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   

We sure hope you folks don't get all crazy with it.

I see you bought our governments official cover story.
The planes are actually blue.

top topics

join