It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard to Investigate Origins of Life (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
A team of researchers at Harvard University will be the latest to join the "origins of life" search. According to Harvard professor, David R. Liu, they will attempt to "reduce this to a very simple series of logical events that could have taken place with no divine intervention."

news.yahoo.com
Harvard University is joining the long-running debate over the theory of evolution by launching a research project to study how life began.

The team of researchers will receive $1 million in funding annually from Harvard over the next few years. The project begins with an admission that some mysteries about life's origins cannot be explained.

"My expectation is that we will be able to reduce this to a very simple series of logical events that could have taken place with no divine intervention," said David R. Liu, a professor of chemistry and chemical biology at Harvard.

The "Origins of Life in the Universe Initiative" is still in its early stages, scientists told the Boston Sunday Globe. Harvard has told the research team to make plans for adding faculty members and a collection of multimillion-dollar facilities.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Given the amount of resources and tools that Harvard and this team of researchers will have, I imagine that this will be a very interesting venture. Until now, Harvard has not played a key role in the search for life's origins, but I am sure that is all about to change.

join