It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the 25th Amendment Currently Invoked?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Seems to me that I read somewhere (wow, what a flimsy post introduction!) that Bush invoked the 25th Amendment when he went on his current vacation in Crawford for the month of August, 2005. This would turn over all presidential power to Cheney for the duration of Bush's vacation.

I can't find any sources on this, but I'm pretty sure I read it and that it wasn't a dream (or some horrid nightmare). Does anyone have any information on this?

Or can you tell me it was a dream?

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
This is the first I've heard of it...

Besides, I don't think he would do it, just so he could take a vacation... after all, I heard on TV the other day, that this is a working vacation anyway...

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Seems to me that I read somewhere (wow, what a flimsy post introduction!) that Bush invoked the 25th Amendment when he went on his current vacation in Crawford for the month of August, 2005. This would turn over all presidential power to Cheney for the duration of Bush's vacation.

the 25th amendment is mostly on a Presidents inability to continue his duty as Commander in Chief. unless he sends his resignation or dies. the amendment cannot be used.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Section 1.

In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.

Section 2.
Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

Section 3.
Whenever the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, such powers and duties shall be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President.

Section 4.
Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.
Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The only time that I have heard of Bush invoking the 25th Amendment was back in 2002 when he invoked Section 3 when he underwent a colonoscopy.
Bush Transfer of Power

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Bush has been signing bills into law. He couldn't do that if Cheney was the Acting President.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
The only time that I have heard of Bush invoking the 25th Amendment was back in 2002 when he invoked Section 3 when he underwent a colonoscopy.
Bush Transfer of Power

This is correct, I believe anytime a president goes under the knife this occurs as happened with Reagan and I believe Clinton as well.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012

Yup, anytime a President is incapacitated (under anesthesia, or more likely in this instance just demerol during this invasive procedure) Section 3 is invoked. In the rare case where the President has no foreknowledge (as in Ronald Reagan being shot) there hasn't been a clear transfer of powers.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by CatHerder
Yup, anytime a President is incapacitated (under anesthesia, or more likely in this instance just demerol during this invasive procedure) Section 3 is invoked. In the rare case where the President has no foreknowledge (as in Ronald Reagan being shot) there hasn't been a clear transfer of powers.

Though the VP could still be made Acting President if a majority of the cabinet and the VP agree that the President is incapacitated.

The movie "Air Force One" got that part right. Someone did some good reasearch on that point, because few people know about it and it has never been used.

top topics

join