It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority jury verdicts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
NSW Opposition Leader John Brogden today promised to introduce majority jury verdicts in criminal trials if he wins the 2007 state election.

Under a Liberal government, majority jury verdicts of 11-1 would be permitted in all criminal trials.

In cases where a juror had been excused during a trial, a 10-1 verdict would be permitted.

Now in NSW criminal trials, jurors are required to achieve unanimous verdicts.

Mr Brogden said the change would bring NSW into line with all other states except Queensland.
relevant article

Im not sure about this one majority verdicts would prevent a hung jury. However given the conquences of sending someone to jail one wonders if a seed of doubt is such a bad thing.
Still as long as someone isnt put to death if new evidence comes to light a person can be freed from prison.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I think this is a good idea. I can't imagine being innocent and not being able to convince just two people of it. Of course, I don't fully understand the rules governing jury selection either, and that is an important factor.

All in all I'd say it's a good thing though. I speculate that cases of a single nut letting a guilty man go free are more common than cases where only one juror has the ability to see clear holes in the evidence against the accused.

new topics

join