It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i woke up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
two days ago i went out fishing in the long island sound(its by NY) about 4 in the morning. It was a beautiful day no clouds in the sky. As we started getting towards open water and away from land i realized something was wrong as i looked over long island i see a brown grey sky, and as i look over NY i see a darker grey/brown cloud. I was disgusted. I have always been aware of the air pollution but when you are living in it you dont realize how bad it is. Being able to step back from the mainland and see the clouds of crap hovering over it disturbed me.

Just thought id share this litle story to show a small part of how earth is being destroyed

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I sure hope that was a row or sail boat you were in, and heaven forbid you drove a car, but then again in winter you sure as heck dont use any fossil fuel to warm your house now do you?

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Ed, are you saying that in order to lessen pollution we have to stop using gas all together?

You know that theres less drastic means right?

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
No its just the it makes me yawn when someone drives an SUV to a save the earth meeting.........you know what I mean?

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
haha yea ed im gonna start with the less drastic things

im thinking about gettin one of those gas/electric cars

but people really dont have an alternative to using cars right now, those big suvs are unnecissary tho

[edit on 14-8-2005 by weeman]

[edit on 14-8-2005 by weeman]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
So...just who do we blame here..... the dude driving his SUV to a green meeting..or the manufacturers of the vehicle in the first place.

It has to be an overall effort and alternatives have to be on offer.

We have been given an alternate fuel supply by using biodiesel. We have known about it for years...

but instead we fund billions on stupid things, like the 900 billion dollar mission to mars.

That money could have been spent on setting up alternative fuel factories... there is a glut of sugar on the market and of the other plants needed to make biodiesel but silence, nothing..... no huge grants given out no huge factories to produce "green oil"

the money we then saved on being held to ransom for this precious oil from the middle east by using biodiesel could have then be used on a trip to Mars.

Priorities and until the pople down there start seeeing the people up there not caring...they are not going to change habits.....

Who is stopping the biodiesel development? Exxon or smiliar? Who stands to make the most out of us not using biodiesel?

Wake up world the sun may be shining now but soon a dark clouds going to overhang this planet.

and those huge*ss SUV's are needed by people like me who have to drive on roads that are no better than tracks and have to have a vehicle to fit my 6 children in comfortably and safely........

Just give me an alternative at the pump...I'll take green fuel anyday... and besides, diesel makes my hands smell horrid for hours

[edit on 14-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
No its just the it makes me yawn when someone drives an SUV to a save the earth meeting.........you know what I mean?

Oh, understood. Sorry bout the misunderstanding.

IMO the best thing we could do for our enviroment would be to be more fuel efficent as a society. For example, use the Metra (train) more often to commute into the city.

But I think the big thing that would save us a lot of grief would be if people wouldn't drive just to drive less than a mile away. Seriously, if we'd all just walk or ride bikes to go shorter distances we'd probably have a lot less pollution and it might do something for the obisiety problem.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet

but instead we fund billions on stupid things, like the 900 billion dollar mission to mars.

Who is stopping the biodiesel development? Exxon or smiliar? Who stands to make the most out of us not using biodiesel?

900 Billion! Damn!

Anyhow Exxon would be the one making the money from biodiesel also so that theory is crap, also ADM would, but its a matter of CHEAP energy.

Would you pat $6.95 a gallon for the GREEN Fuel?

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

Originally posted by Mayet

Would you pat $6.95 a gallon for the GREEN Fuel?

IT will eventually come to that or worse when the oil runs out. Its just a matter of time

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Well the Mars missions are a high priority. I mean look at how much technology the space program has given us. Like closed chest heart surgury.

But I understand we're wasting money on a lot of useless crap. But let's just remember it's not entirely Exxon-Mobile who's preventing alternative fuels from being used. It's partially the guys who make sure this entire country keeps moving, thats right, your automotive mechanic. Of course they have jobs to worry about.

Biodiesel on the otherhand, if I'm not mistaken works just like regular fuel, which means the mechanics stay in business. The only one's losing money are the exec's at Exxon-Mobil and friends.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
*Yawn*

I can't tell you when was the last time I used an electric razor. How about everyone else? Be truthful, you lazy hypocrites!

Some of you little heathens like to throw stones at me ever time I show up, as if I am the great destroyer, but I'll have you know that I even keep my speed down to below 90 MPH nowadays. As a matter of fact, I just got back from Texas and didn't even break the 90MPH barier the whole way, except once, and that was to pass a new VW bug doing 85! How dare someone do 85 in a Bug! Don't they know that a VW is a symbol for those who care?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The sad fact is that this doesn't need to be. There have been some amazing advances in the area of photovoltaics, and batteries recently that can literally turn everything around right now. Sample the following:

SUPER cheap solar cells:
www.physorg.com...

Solar roof tiles anyone? Don't believe that is possible? It is being done right now all over the place. Couple that with this:

www.theregister.co.uk...

You do the math and tell me why aren't we using this stuff RIGHT NOW???

-P

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
postings, both of those are recent breakthroughs. It will take at least a couple years to bring them to market. Nokia is salivating over the quickcharge battery that's all I know

You may not realize but Alternatives are booming right now, some growing at a rate of 10% or more a year.(Like Solar for one) The higher Oil prices go the more feasible it becomes to stick these things on your roof.

Anyone who wants to keep track of the alternatives will love this blog, it's more focused on technological fixes for our problems.
www.worldchanging.com...

mayet, recent findings suggest a Mars Mission wouldn't cost 900 billion but 60-70 billion. I don't see the US gov't funding another ISS like program anytime soon. In the meantime they will continue to spend the money that could have been spent on a Mars mission on better ways to kill people, yay.

Here is a page you might find interesting mayet
vesuvius.jsc.nasa.gov...

[edit on 16-8-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Here is a page you might find interesting mayet
vesuvius.jsc.nasa.gov...

Great link!

Thanks, and that doesn't even touch the tip of the iceberg.

top topics

join