It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elmo Bumpy Torus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I did not work on it (the Elmo Bumpy Torus), but knew someone years ago who did. I did a quick search on the internet and found a number of references to it, so I don't suspect it is classified any longer, therefore... I have a question.

Using magnetics to create a force field that can confine large amounts of energy are kind of a cool idea, I guess. Could enough advancements have been made such that a flying craft could create enough energy of it's own, in flight, to create a shaped chamber that could be used for combustion and propulsion?

Sorry... This is kind of a badly worded question, but I don't know any other way to present it here. I'm not trying to play in the UFO field here, just wondering... If it is possible, then the possibilities kind of boggle my tiny shell-like mind.

Any opinions? Any known facts? Am I way behind the times?

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I wish I had an answer for you on this - I could possibly contact some associates of mine at Lawrence Livermore Nat. Lab., they may know what if anything became of this field of research.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Yes, the theory about magnetism is well-known, and I guess that it could work... Just do as intergurl said, and you might get some more "professonal help"...

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Thanks Intelgurl... That would be cool. I'm not a scientist or anything like that, just like dreaming on stuff. It seems like a workable alternative, but I don't know the numbers.

I sort of figure it's not a viable alternative though, if it were, I suspect it would have been done already.

Fin .. Professional help? I've probably needed that for years.

Thanks for your responses.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86
Thanks Intelgurl... That would be cool. I'm not a scientist or anything like that, just like dreaming on stuff. It seems like a workable alternative, but I don't know the numbers.

I sort of figure it's not a viable alternative though, if it were, I suspect it would have been done already.

Fin .. Professional help? I've probably needed that for years.

Thanks for your responses.

That was funny... No but the way intergirl meant...

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
YEah.. I think that prof help bit came across wrong..

But since I don't know what in blazes we're talking abt I gonna ask this..
We're talking craft with self sustainable energy or enrgy forcefields??

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Magnetic containment is used in the JET project - the working fusion reactor , based in the uk.

Know one thing ; physics 101 - Energy cannot be created nor destroyed , it can only be converted from one form to another.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
"Could enough advancements have been made such that a flying craft could create enough energy of it's own, in flight, to create a shaped chamber that could be used for combustion and propulsion? "

Certainly, but that will be some time after they have a working fusion reactor, which is something like 40 years away AFAIK.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
?

The JET project in the UK has a working fusion reactor

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
As far as I can tell, JET uses something like 700 Mw of input to produce something like 10 Mw of output. This is of limited use unless you are also going to carry a power station around with you.

Once we have a fusion reactor that can sustainably output more energy than goes in, we will be in business.

new topics

top topics

join