It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halo: Starcraft turned FPS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Alright I did some PC gaming and then it hit me; "OMG! Halo didn't copy directly off of Starship Troopers! They borrowed off Starcraft, an earlier game influenced by Starship Troopers.

Think about it, four races, terran in both games, the Covenant being your Protoss, and the Flood being the Zerg, and then the Forerunners being your Xel'Naga, aka the advanced dead race.

First let's compare the two human factions. Notice how eeirily simlar the Starcraft marine looks to a Halo Spartan? Or how neither game has regular army units, just tough talking marines.

Then look at weapons. Both are far in the future but still mostly use good old fashioned firearms, not plasma, not lasers, not even metal storm. Then look at Halo's flamethrower (PC multiplayer), and then the firebat, both are extremely short range. Next look at the Ghost's canister rifle, it's one high caliber rifle, sort of like Halo's rifle. Neither has a simple 7.62mm rifle, both are over .50 caliber. That and compare Cortana to the computer assistant in Starcraft, a bit similar.

Now the flood vs. the Zerg. If you pay attention the Zerg are often referred to as "the swarm", that sounds similar in concept to a flood. Both sides win by mass rushing your position using nothing but brute force often times. And notice how the flood reproduce, by infestation, parasitism, just like how the Zerg queen infests the Terran command center. Next note the fact that well they make funny noises when they die (I love the sound of splattering Zerglings). Then finally add the fact that they seem to be containted by dead races, or at least they tried to contain both sides.

Next is the Covenant vs. the Protoss. First off see how they have superior technology. Then look at the caste system in their culture. The prophets being the Judicators/Conclave, and the Elites being the high templar.

That and look at how fancy each has their buildings build. Very clean looking despite being in a warzone. That and notice how each seems to be building off an extinct race that is wiped out by their less advanvanced rivals (I'm guessing the flood killed the forerunners here, makes sense).

Next look at their fasination with energy blades mounted on the wrists. The elites seem to love them, just like a Zealot. Or better yet, the stealth elites, you have to admit that is eeirly simlar to a dark templar. And then of course you have to figure that both have blue blood (blueish purple in the case of the elites).

Anyhow when I get a chance I'll find a few image comparisons. But does anybody agree with my theory that Halo was mostly based off of Starcraft?

[edit on 8/14/2005 by cyberdude78]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Now for some images;

First a few marine from Starcraft;

Now a Spartan from Halo;

Next we have a Protoss Zealot (my former avatar, awesome anime effects JAK!);

Now let's look at an Elite from Halo with an energy sword;

I'll find a few more images but those are good for starters.

[edit on 8/14/2005 by cyberdude78]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
wow, gj on all this.

"Or how neither game has regular army units, just tough talking marines."
Yeah, I've been curious bout that 2.

"Next look at the Ghost's canister rifle, it's one high caliber rifle, sort of like Halo's rifle. Neither has a simple 7.62mm rifle, both are over .50 caliber."

Yeah, when u think bout it, expically the Elites, they needed a big rd.

hmm......

world.guns.ru...

It's hard 2 say that their not related. Same with the canister rifle. Good points cyberdude.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Yea you can say that Halo took some stuff from starcraft but you can also say that starcraft took some stuff from Alien's and from starshiptroopers.

Example the drop ship from the terrain uses a voice over or says the same thing from the Aliens movie. Another Example is the SCV which I think they took from Aliens as well and the whole alien acid thing which the zerg has.

From Starship Troopers they took the whole bug thing and made it into the zerg. The mastermind in Starship Troopers can be compared to the overlord in Starcraft.

Personally I think that they borrowed allot from each other but I really do beleive that Starcraft has the most incredible story of them all.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
no crap man. the covenant are the protoss. the flood are the zerg. and the humans are... well... the humans/terrans.:shk:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
good observation .. never thought of that (being that i never played halo! .. flame on!) .. starcraft had an incredible story line. i

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Starship Troopers (the novel moreso than the movie), StarCraft, Halo, and the Alien franchise are probably my favorite science-fiction-themed media; they've all done some interesting and fun things with the same basic formula, which sort of gives the feeling that they're all taking place at the same time, in the same universe.

Anyone ever play Aliens vs. Predator 2 for the PC? It too plays a lot like a StarCraft FPS, and it's one of the best multiplayer games I've played to boot.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Maybe I'm too geeky for a thread like this... Halo was actually loosely based on marathon, the precursor to all space alien games. The marathon symbol is found everywhere in the game, the guns are similar, the universe is similar, familiar phrases and cortana (AI spoiler).

Edit: So yea, I can see starcraft being a halo influence, as they've all had similar basics.

[edit on 9/23/2005 by Kalapadea]

new topics

top topics

join