It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Cover-up's?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2003 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I still find things like this mazing that our government as well as the rest of the world still likes to cover things up, even though they know we know they are lying, as usual!

Why Have Governements Around The World Played Down Devastating Nuclear Accidents?

Travellers passing through the the town of Khyshtym in Siberia, Russia, will see bizarre signs on the north-south high-way, advising drivers to proceed at speed, without stopping, and with their windows closed. This is because Khyshtym is possibly the most radiocative place on Earth, following a nuclear accident at the town's plutonium producing plant in 1957. The consequences of this accident are still visible to this day. Giant mushrooms grow behind barded wire on heavily irradiated topsoil, fishing is banned in the lakes and rivers and local doctors still adivse women to abort pregnancies.

For the rest of the story click the link below:

www.mysteries.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk...

There is also a part about the accident at the "Windscale" plutonium reactor in the Uk, would you believe it was the same year as the Khyshtym accident as well. (October 10th 1957 ? strange or what) And the public wasnt told about that until after the accident, then not the whole truth either. (But then they wouldnt would they?)

blackwidow

posted on Aug, 29 2003 @ 07:54 PM
link   
A very good topic! Scary thing is, about the only real nuclear accidents that the public knows is 3 Mile Island and Chernobyl... there have been MANY more, all of them potentially devastating.

Here are a few interesting ones...

We Almost Lost Ohio -- And Your State Could Be Next

By Russell D. Hoffman

Did you hear about what almost happened at Davis-Besse, a nuclear reactor in Ohio?

It would have been "10 times worse than Chernobyl" as one eminent scientist I've spoken to put it.

Most people have no idea how close we came to catastrophe. A mere half inch.

Here's the basic sequence, in lay-person's terms:

Davis-Besse is a 900 Megawatt PWR (Pressurized Water Reactor) owned by FirstEnergy Corp.. It is located 21 miles ESE of Toledo, OH. It first went online in 1977. It's getting OLD.

www.nonuclear.net...

In 1944, the Port Chicago disaster killed hundreds of Americans in a single blast. Was it an accident, or was it America's first atomic weapons test?

On the night of 17th July 1944, two transport vessels loading ammunition at the Port Chicago (California) naval base on the Sacramento River were suddenly engulfed in a gigantic explosion. The incredible blast wrecked the naval base and heavily damaged the small town of Port Chicago, located 1.5 miles away. Some 320 American naval personnel were killed instantly. The two ships and the large loading pier were totally annihilated. Several hundred people were injured, and millions of dollars in property damage was caused by the huge blast. Windows were shattered in towns 20 miles away, and the glare of the explosion could be seen in San Francisco, some 35 miles away. It was the worst home-front disaster of World War II. Officially, the world's first atomic test explosion occurred on 16th July 1945 at Alamogordo, New Mexico; but the Port Chicago blast may well have been the world's first atomic detonation, whether accidental or not.

www.dreamscape.com...

(EDITOR'S NOTE: In January 1990, the Napa Sentinel commenced a series of articles concerning the explosion at Port Chicago in San Francisco Bay on July 17, 1944. Several other articles were produced to support the theory that the explosion was nuclear. Over the years, the Sentinel has been challenged on one point of the articles: If it was a nuclear explosion what about the radiation? For several years our research team has devoted itself to searching for records of other atomic explosions of the era to determine the levels of radiation association with those tests. This four part article addresses the question of radiation at Port Chicago.)

www.sonic.net...

The project examines the causes and the health and environmental effects of the Tokaimura (Japan, September 30, 1999) nuclear accident. The entire report was based on the published reliable, public domain sources pertaining to the subject. In the following sections, the students reviewed the causes of the accident and its potential health and environmental impacts due to the radiation released, based on experience from the Chernobyl accident and other events which also released radiation to the environment. At the end of each section, the list of sources which includes published information and web-based sources will be provided. In addition, the Appendix of this web page will also provide the links of available photos and other Tokaimura information pages regarding the accident.

www-rcf.usc.edu...

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 04:09 AM
link   
dragonrider

thnx for those, will have a good read later!

blackwidow

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Wow, great topic. As a side note, I've driven by 3 Mile Island on my way to Hershey's Park =).

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Blackwidow and DR

Thanks for the links to read up on these. I have no confidence in the long-term maintenance and upkeep of US nuclear facilities let alone what may be in Russia.

Do any of you remember when the Diablo reactor was coming on line in California? Do you remember there was a great debate taking place at that time because that reactor sits on TWO fault lines. I was living in CA at the time and I remember there was a political cartoon in the paper showing it sitting on three fault lines...the third one was human fault.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I live just by the Diablo reactor. It is only a few miles down the road from where I live. I still dont think they should of took the reactor offline though. We need the energy.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Valhall

I dont know anything about the "Diablo", (living in the UK) but will look that one now, thanx

blackwidow

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 03:40 PM
link   
jetsetter

Is this the "Diablo Reactor" in California, that you was talking about?

www.nucleartourist.com...

If so have read through, but cant find anything wrong either.

Couldnt find why, they took it off-line, when was that?

blackwidow

[Edited on 30-8-2003 by blackwidow666]

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Has anyone heard rumors that before the first atomic bomb detonation, there were concerns among scientists that such an event could cascade into a chain reaction, thus igniting the entire atmosphere and destroying all life on the planet?

If that is true, I am glad they were wrong.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Sanders

I heard something very similar to that, but for the life of me cant remember where, not alone when it was?

Will try to remember though!

blackwidow

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I am pretty sure that is the reactor I was talkign about.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that those links are going to make me an interesting evening. Thanks, DR

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sanders
Has anyone heard rumors that before the first atomic bomb detonation, there were concerns among scientists that such an event could cascade into a chain reaction, thus igniting the entire atmosphere and destroying all life on the planet?

If that is true, I am glad they were wrong.

The scientists were afraid the explosion could ionise all the hydrogen in the atmosphere in a chain reaction, essentially rendering it useless in shielding us for cosmic radiation. NOT GOOD

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I live in the region... and I've never even heard of Port Chicago until now. Very scary.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 09:27 AM
link   
TheyWatchYouToo

I dont even live in America, but I had heard of port Chicago.

I like to to know as much as possible about where I live, as you just never know.....

blackwidow

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Thank you dragon rider for those very interesting links. I think i've heard of Port Chicago somewhere before. It's interesting that i only live a few hours from it and have barely heard anything about it.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 03:53 AM
link   
READ THE ORIGINAL THREAD :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join