It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATTENTION: Points System Is Being Revamped

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
split your existing points between the 3 boards.

Boo.

Double Boo

I really don't see the need to do this. I think the old points system was good. But then again you might implementing new stuff that I don't know about so I'll just shut up now and keeo posting

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Doesnt matter either way to me.. I already bought everything I wanted with my points.. so they've been stacking up for a while now..

Split em, I dont need em! ;p

(Hell, take em away for all I care! ;p)

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
If SO made links to the main forum pages of the respective sites out of the ATS Points, BTS Points and PTS Points captions, newer people might get aware of the other sites more easely and start posting there too.

I personaly rarely visit BTS or PTS, PTS cause its not my cuppa tea, and BTS because I generaly just plain forget about it even being there.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
split your existing points between the 3 boards.

boo 2

maybe this will be changed...

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The new point system is outlined in the update board information post about the points system;
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I like the idea of points for all ats boards.
Since only ats got points, it made the other boards-bts, pts... seeem not as important.
Another great idea and improvement to ATS!

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
So does this mean that everything is going to get cheaper? Or just make it harder to get stuff? Is there anyway we can convert PTS/BTS points into ATS points or vice versa? And if not where will the seperate stores be?Just some random questions...

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
so no points for old posts in bts/pts then eh?

cause I got close to 7k posts or so :p

ah well

hopefully things wont cost so much

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Two flaws in using existing posts to calculate your new points totals.

1) BTS posts have earned 1-point for some time.

2) Many members have spent these points already.

(and the code was shaping up to be monsterous)

I performed a random sample of 20 members with 500 posts (or more) in the past 30 days. The ratio came out to be:
ATS posts: 55%
BTS posts: 35%
PTS posts: 10%

I used these ratios to calculate the new 3-way split.

Also... Applause from a staff-member is now board-specific... so applauding someone in BTS, gives them 250 BTS points.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It makes me look like I 'slum' a lot in BTS and PTS, which I don't (not intentionally anyway).

Tragic.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by CatHerder
It makes me look like I 'slum' a lot in BTS and PTS, which I don't (not intentionally anyway).

Tragic.

It's just a matter of interests, I come for the site for ATS I don't really come for jokes or politics I have my friends for that

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
This new point system will make it a lot harder (and longer) to accumulate 5000 points for the RATS boards. Is there a high yield forum somewhere like the old stlye of say collaborative fiction etc?

Since the points are a lot harder to accumulate won't the noise to signal ratio increase? (At least on the open forums... I've never been to RATS and don't have anywhere near the points req'd to know what is even there)

Are there any "special" threads where value posts earn more?

Is it possible to get applause from more than one mod for a good post?

Can I borrow ?

I.O.U --->place a massive total here

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
hmmm, I think you should address some of the senior members who accumulated a vast amount of points under the old system. With this new system of 1 point per post its going to make it impossible for anyone new to come even within a few magnitudes. Take your total SO of 100k odd, it'd take someone to post 11 times every hour for a whole year straight.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
As mentioned in SO's link here:

ATSNN, Fiction, Research, and Debate forums will still offer a much higher point value. Plus, applauses will still give 250 pts.

[edit on 8/14/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I have never understood the whole applause thing, like I know what they are, but I am unsure how you know if you got one....but this is niether the time nor place for that.

The only negative draw back I can see to this new way of getting points (depending heavily on now ATSNN) is that a lot of repeats will occur in the posting. Also as I had mentioned above how often does an applause happen? I am not saying that they do not happen, I just don't know the signs when they do happen.

The only other idea I can think of at the moment is maybe lowering the prices?? Just a tad? Or at least at the begning to kinda slowly build up to the idea that getting points is going to be a lot harder now for just the every day person on ATS.Just some ideas.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final
I have never understood the whole applause thing, like I know what they are, but I am unsure how you know if you got one....but this is niether the time nor place for that.

The only negative draw back I can see to this new way of getting points (depending heavily on now ATSNN) is that a lot of repeats will occur in the posting. Also as I had mentioned above how often does an applause happen? I am not saying that they do not happen, I just don't know the signs when they do happen.

Your "applause" questions may be answered here:

Hope that helps.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Your "applause" questions may be answered here:

Hope that helps.

Yes it did very much, thank you for the link!

Back to the point idea ( I know I know, but I think this could be a good idea!) Maybe if certain forums, or sections of ATS/BTS/PTS, are having less traffic maybe a sudden increase of points (nothing crazy maybe like 3 points for a post) But unanouced, just at random maybe for like a few hours or maybe a day. Basically its like a nice lil treat for those contributing to a topic that might be less used. Or maybe the Mods can be on the look out for more quality posts in those topics. I dunno just some ideas!

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final

Originally posted by CatHerder

Tragic.

It's just a matter of interests, I come for the site for ATS I don't really come for jokes or politics I have my friends for that

Yes...you do have your "friends" for that.

Us.

--

Good job SO, I like the way it looks.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

Yes...you do have your "friends" for that.

Us.

Haha Good Call, but in the real world
(haven't been there in a while) it seems that all my friends do is talk about Politics or how they can TP 6 houses in 1 night
I am 16, if that helps your thought process about why we would be talking about such things.

So I never quit understood the whole BTS and PTS points? Are they able to be spent in the member center the same with ATS points, or all the all one big thing of points and it is just seperated to show where you earned them? Was anything ever posted on this

[edit on 14-8-2005 by The_Final]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   
So far things look to be working fine!

It'll be interesting to see things changing as always.

Never a dull moment here that's for sure!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join