It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet problem!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Ok, here's everything in a nutshell: I have this Dell Laptop, Linksys Router, WireSpeed DSL Modem and a some kind of Desktop. The router and modem are wired to the desktop and the laptop is wireless. The desktop can surf the web as normal, but the laptop cannot. I called the service department for every piece of equipment, tested them and found that the equipment is working properly. I suspect that the problem lies somewhere in the software of my laptop - which isn't covered in my warranty.

On my Laptop, it will say that its connected to the Internet. It will connect at home and at Borders' hotspot. The thing is, I can't actually pull up a web site. Both Mozilla and IE will go: finding site.....finding site....server cannot be found. I've talked to every single person I know, including Dell's free tech help and tried everything they could think of. I can't afford Dell's $75/per incident "second-level" tech support, but I would really like to get online soon.

Well, it actually just stopped working one night. I hibernated my laptop and when I woke it up, I couldn't surf. I used the system restore to roll it back to last Saturday - a few days before it stopped working. I'm thinking about just restoring the whole thing to the factory settings if I can't come up with anything else.

Oh, I don't know if this changes anything or helps much. But I ran the Wireless Network Setup Wizard about a week back. I just checked that network today and was still able to see the Desktop when I clicked "veiw other workstations on network" under network conenctions. I couldn't do anything else, but I think that has something to do with the permissions set on the desktop.

Anyone have a clue?

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'm just assuming your using XP. Have you checked "services.msc" for all the needed services to network? Also on your connection make sure "printer and file sharing" are checked. I know that seems like the most obvious.

But, after I did a windows update, for some reason it wasn't still checked. If you just did the lastest update, it may of changed something. I have no idea why it does that.

Sounds like your desktop isn't communicating properly with the laptop.

You can do a google search and find what services need to be enabled for networking and what direction they need to point.

If you just click Run and type in "services.msc" (without the "s) hit OK and go thru them to see if they are enabled.

Make sure your proxy and firewall are set to accept network and file sharing too.

The Linksys Router, is it a G or a B? If your laptop card is a G and your router is a B, they are not compatible. B will work off G. But G will not work off B. You can run a B or G card off a G router. If the router is a B, only a B card will work. hope that wasn't confusing.

A G is about 5x faster than a B, so if your card is a G, and router a B. The router cannot pick it up.

Also it is good to stick with the same brand names on all your wireless connections to that router. Some MAY work, but some MAY NOT.

Not sure if that was any help. Seems like tech support would of asked these same questions,

[edit on 14-8-2005 by maybeangels]

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Try turning NAT (network address translation) on in your router. It is used to allow multiple computers to connect to the internet at the same time. Rather that one at a time.
It may help in your case.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Although you say you can "see" you desktop in My Connections XP sometimes just keeps these regardless of connection. Therefore can you ping it?

(In case you don't know how then go Start->Run type "cmd" press ok. Type ipconfig and remember the IP. Go to the other machine and get into the command prompt again (cmd). This time type "ping " where you insert the IP without the )

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infidellic
Although you say you can "see" you desktop in My Connections XP sometimes just keeps these regardless of connection. Therefore can you ping it?

Great Idea! Why didn't I think of that?

Hope Shaione can get online to see this advice.....

Also, when using wireles networking, make sure you are not near other appliances that emit RFs...like microwaves. 2.4 giga phones...etc.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Hey thanks for the replies guys! Its still not working, unfortutely. I tried a few of the suggestions and still no luck. I did some google'ing and found that quite a few Dell customers have had this problem and I found some drivers to download for my NIC. Hopefully, this is fix it, if not I want my money back!

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
So what did the ping say?

No Reply?

Or it replied?

Or Host Unreachable?

Ping Tutorial

[edit on 17-8-2005 by makeitso]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Yup, that's it. I got 4 "request timed out" when trying to ping an www.google.com, but I got answer when I pinged the router.

Great website though! I'm going to print it out so I can try it when I get home. I'll post my results afterwards.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Then it is probably your gateway.

A gateway is the door that leads to the outside world.
When you do an IP Config /all you can see what your gateway is set to.

IP Settings Tutorial

Best of Luck

new topics

top topics

join