It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S and U.N Diplomats Pressure Sunni's To Accept Iraq Constitution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Pressure has been stepped up by American and U.N Diplomats to get Sunni Arabs to accept Iraqs new constituation just two days before the dealine for its approval. The sunni's have declared they will not accept the new constituation under any terms but the president of Iraq Jalai Talabani has predicted the draft will be ready by the deadline and will go ahead with or without the Sunni's agreement and approval.

AP
With time running out, U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad and U.N. envoy Ashraf Qazi met separately with Sunni leaders but failed to persuade them to accept a federal system.

"We will not be subdued and will continue to cling to our stance," Sunni negotiator Kamal Hamdoun said. "We don't accept federalism ... We don't want federalism. We are confident that federalism means division and federalism cannot be approved at this time."

The final negotiations on the document — a key part of the political process the U.S. is counting on to curb a Sunni-dominated insurgency — took place against the backdrop of continuing violence.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The stategy could backfire because the country's interim charter states it will be voided if it is rejected by two thirds of voters in three providences. Sunni arabs are a majority in 4 out of the 18 providences.

I can also see more violence and insurgency if this constitution is pushed forward without the sunni's backing.

News Link
Yahoo Item
Full coverage yahoo

[edit on 13-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I thought this article was interesting:

www.chi... cagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0508130061aug13,1,3297435.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

It stands in contrast with the posture of American diplomats here earlier in the summer, who played down the U.S. role in what they termed an Iraqi process.

Reached by telephone, a spokesman for the U.S. Embassy declined to comment Friday.

"The Americans say they don't intervene, but they have intervened deep," said Mahmoud Othman, a Kurdish member of the constitution committee who said he met with U.S. officials Thursday and Friday.

"They gave us a detailed proposal, almost a full version of a constitution. They try to compromise the different opinions of all the political blocs. The U.S. officials are more interested in the Iraqi constitution than the Iraqis themselves, because they promised their people that it will be done Aug. 15.".

Am I the only one who thinks that another country shouldn't 'give' a country its constitution in this manner??

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Less than ironically the fact that the UN is involved is absent from drfunk's reply.

No, the US shouldn't meddle in other nation's affairs, unfortunately we do. But neither should the UN.

And holy crap, the UN is siding with the United States. Ergo, the UN is wrong.

Oops.

Don't let the United Nation's involvement escape your opinions. Or your want to support it with your tax dollars.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
No Dr your not wrong.... NoOne should create another countries constitution

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete
Less than ironically the fact that the UN is involved is absent from drfunk's reply.

The UN isnt in the article. Last time I remember the UN didnt invade Iraq did it? Typical RW response pass the buck to the UN.

Originally posted by Mayet
No Dr your not wrong.... NoOne should create another countries constitution

I didnt say that. I said another country shouldnt 'give' another country a constitution in this manner, many countries borrow from others constitutions greatly when creating them including Australia's. That's why I was being careful with the wording.

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 14-8-2005 by drfunk]

top topics

join