It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA owes Canada 5+ Billion Dollars.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
appear first in the Washington Post while the canadian rags say nothing?

not to split hairs or anything, but the Washington Post ran the story at 5:30 AM, the Toronto Star at 1:30PM and the Globe and Mail at 3:30PM.

I think Intrepid has it right...apathy

I was googling for stories on this issue and came across the Post story when it was the only one running it.

I think we're a long way into the 'Death of NAFTA' with this. At least I hope so.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I'm not sure NAFTA is dead - yet. I can't see any scenario where it is retired without some other agreement (forced or otherwise) taking its' place. As long as we have two nations there will be trade regs of some sort... can we get a better deal? Perhaps - but I truly doubt it. As far as "Canuckistani-apathy" is concerned I think this may be by design - and shaded heavily to favour those below the 49th - What thinks you?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
heh the party websites got me into going to the liberals page.

At arrival I am asked for my full name, postal code etc.

What a clever way of seeing whos interested and where they are from.

Too bad I hit the "skip" button.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   

By ALAN FREEMAN
Tuesday, August 16, 2005 Updated at 5:28 AM EDT
From Monday's Globe and Mail

I read about the possible cancellation last night....

There is also some talk that Ottawa and the provinces may look to postponing the next round of softwood talks originally planned for the week of Aug. 22 in the hopes of sending a message south of the border.

A spokeswoman for Peterson would not confirm this, but suggested that Canada is prepared to defend its interests.

"Canada wants to come to a fair and durable resolution to this," Jacquie LaRocque said. "Ministers have been clear: We must and we will take every measure necessary to ensure Canada's rights are respected."

cnews.canoe.ca...

Google does not carry all the stories, some organizations have charged that they violate copyright and release agreements. Agence France-Presse, for one.

NEW YORK Mar 22, 2005 — In a case that could set limits on Internet search engines, the French news agency AFP is suing Google Inc. for pulling together photos and story excerpts from thousands of news Web sites.

Agence France-Presse said the "Google News" service infringes on AFP's copyrights by reproducing information from the Web sites of subscribers of the Paris-based news wholesaler.

The issues raised by the case have profound implications for the Internet, where anyone can be a publisher and Web journals, or blogs, are becoming more frequent destinations for seekers of news.

abcnews.go.com...

And the irony of me linking to a story about not using stories is not lost on me......

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by highgroundsys0p
As far as "Canuckistani-apathy" is concerned I think this may be by design - and shaded heavily to favour those below the 49th - What thinks you?

Well...let's see...we have a Prime Minister who (sort of) owns Canada steamship Lines, but pays no taxes on it because he has his ships registered out-of-country. He constantly waffles on the sponsorship scandal by waving his hands in front of his face, saying he knew nothing about it, yet, at the time, he was Finance Minister for Chretien.

If that's not enough salt in the wounds of Canadian taxpayers, he now has the gall to place a seperatist into the countries most auspicious position, the Governor general. Of course, he probably knew nothing about that either, since he's only a 'little' Quebecker.

About the NAFTA thing...you may be onto something. It makes sense to get rid of a treaty which has these troublesome venues for dispute settlements.

Do I hear Brian Mulroony singing 'When Irish Eyes Are smiling' in the background?

[edit on 16-8-2005 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Ever wonder who's minding this store? What q level might they have? Who reads what on behalf of whom? If I was 43 or 41 I'd be interested wouldn't you? Think Cheney's C-5A Galaxy sized ego is coming to AB for a friendly visit? I think we will be told the way it will be. Just for fun I'd like the softwood issue settled - 2 beat up unsafe "civilian" orbiters relocated to Churchill ought to about even the score. I think the lack of Canadian reportage on this isn't just vacation-time sleepiness - we're being lulled into missing "opportunities". Glad there's some of us out here walkin' perimeter with some SA preloaded huh? How bad do you think the situation is? Think we'll ever get the straight-skinny?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
CBC is currentlly in a lock out, so news coverage from them is limited.

Two days into its controversial lockout of 5,500 unionized employees, the CBC has been operating on autopilot with plenty of reruns and pared-down programs.

But the most noticeable change has been the absence of any apparent effort to mount a management-produced television newscast, relying in prime time and over the supper hour on imported feeds of the BBC World News service. Newsworld has been limited to one-minute roundups of Canadian news read by managers before handing things off to the BBC.

news.yahoo.com...

Id gladly take any job there

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
A job at the CBC... Ever seen the BoD... look deep... heh. You'll see why it is so convenient for them to be "out" right about now. Ever hear of "the little knesset" - word to my bro' Dulcimer. A job at the CBC's 500 million (1980's bucks) broadcast center... fat pipes on that baby... we did a little fiber-op stuff there - totally high-buck zoot-capri facility man. A job at the CBC... Ihear if you are "loud" enough you get to be governor general. Talk about your double-chocolate-dipped pension heh.
While we're at it Google Downsview from orbit - we'll chat elsewhere. I saw some really, really heavy copper delivered there - do the goog and look for ground patterns the vent system is MONSTER.
But back on topic the Yanks owe us large - they must feel we owe them large - and they're a little miffed with us about not coalescing with the coalition - should we just Reaux-Chambeux them for it or just take our lumps or something in between... maybe an LA class sub or SuperHornets or some transport action? What do the others about think?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Geez sorry man about sayin' anything 'bout Downsview if you happen to work for DND IM Gp. Sorry man I saw the coat of arms and it just didn't click - I wuz thinkin' CSIS or sumthin'. You "fly" stuff for them? If so - good for you. If not be careful... TM'd eh. So what would you want in a wish list for Canada with the 5B? Anybody? How do any listening Americans feel?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Dont let the avatar fool you, I have nothing to do with it, I just like it

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Ok... sure give it to the sector it came from... that seems sensible. What about the folks who are no longer in that sector? Tough luck or should it be plowed back into the sector in new initiatives - read small and mid-size operators... Lord knows there can't be many indy outfits left?
Any concern that the folks left standing are int'l corps? Who may benefit on both sides of the border no matter what happens? Can there ever be a fair redress of the problem or is the damage irrepairably done already? I feel big time sorry for anybody who has to work in softwood these days - no picnic at the best of times. What about a marketing board - too commie? Or would it help develop alternate markets?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
No Canada is not happy. Time to grow some spines and slap the states around a bit.
[edit on 13-8-2005 by Dulcimer]

Time for the US to grow some balls and take over canada once and for all!!

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by grad_student

Originally posted by Dulcimer
No Canada is not happy. Time to grow some spines and slap the states around a bit.
[edit on 13-8-2005 by Dulcimer]

Sorry, thats not going to happen.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by highgroundsys0pfeel big time sorry for anybody who has to work in softwood these days - no picnic at the best of times. What about a marketing board - too commie? Or would it help develop alternate markets?

How about we put that 5 bil. into tree planting operations like Outland?
It would amaze you how many trees would get planted with those kind of dollars.
Those kids work hard for their cash and turn it into educations, for the most part.

www.outland.ca...

[edit on 17-8-2005 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Tree plantin' sounds good M - as for The "American" commentor Dulcimer referred to - I agree completely with Dulcimer.
"Time to take over Canada once and for all" - I think not. American's are welcome to perceive Canada however they please - You will find the Canadian peoples are reasonably well placed - everywhere in your nation and have been since the "Brain - Drain" post Arrow. We do turn up in the darndest places - like at the helm of NORTHCOM - like writing your president's speeches - stuff like that and guess what many Canadians don't like America - we used to - enough to cause great Yankee suffering if required - and we are incredibly patient.
We await that which may come with steely resolve and true patriot love. Besides if that doesn't work we've got a huge population of "hypenated Canadians nouvelle" who wouldn't mind ills befalling America. Times like this I am proud to be born and raised above the 49th. Canada rocks and America's foreign policy insures and reinforces the paranoid psychosis that I hear frequently radiating from American minds on this site and others like it. I don't worry about being Canadian - can my American friends say the same? Read Bush's Halifax "international" speech - get the hint?
I say go ahead try and take over Canada - let er rip Bubba - As Pearson said to LB Johnson, "Your deer are small" and I'd add "your attention span is short."
Peace... happy Sept 7th America. Your freedom and security will bind you to your own loci of needs.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by grad_student

Oh...that's original. It's been tried before, remember?
I think it might have an impact on how your #1 ally in Iraq deals with you too, not to mention a few others.

But that's OK, grad_student, we Canadians are getting used to these reactions, so, no harm done.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
So what happens now then. I assume that there is some mechinism that happens when one side looses the arguement and debate and still refuses to live up to their end of the agreement?

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Here is the response from our neighbours to the south:

Canada must put aside the rhetoric and return to the negotiating table if the softwood lumber dispute with the United States is to be settled once and for all, U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins said Wednesday.

"That's a decision the Canadian government has to make," said Wilkins. "We want a negotiated settlement, we want to bring finality to the issue." "What we don't need is continued rhetoric to raise the emotional issues."

On Wednesday, Wilkins made it clear that the next move belongs to Canada.

"The United States put a proposal on the table. We need to get a response to that at some point from Canadian negotiators and continue negotiations," Wilkins told reporters after speaking to a gathering of the American Chamber of Commerce in Canada.

"What we need to do is let the negotiators do their job, get together and try to work out finality. Otherwise, you're just going to continue to have one lawsuit after another."

The Americans refused, saying the ruling didn't end the matter because it did not deal with a 2004 decision by the U.S. International Trade Commission which supported the American case.

Wilkins defended his country's interpretation of the ruling, saying he refused to accept the argument that the U.S. is simply not respecting the North American Free Trade Agreement.

"The bottom line is, we need to get the negotiators to get together... and get this issue behind us once and for all," Wilkins said, adding he hoped the cancelled talks would be rescheduled soon.

cnews.canoe.ca...

David Wilkins = Paul Cellucci with a more pleasing accent

What happens next? The same thing that has been happening for over twenty years with this issue. The US continues to do whatever it wants and our government will roll over and play dead. Western Canada doesn't get you elected to office.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I read this last week, well the same words at least, they want more negotiations AFTER a ruling against them has been given. They didn't get the ruling they want, so more negotiations.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
OK, then what is needed is a mass mailing to the PMO asking whether we should send our tax dollars to them or just forward them to the Americans? Seeing as our leaders want to be their boy's - why do we need them? One extra level of sleeze?

Seriously though, what can be done? Someone better stand up for the Canucks.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join