It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA owes Canada 5+ Billion Dollars.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Dunno. Martin's swinging by a thread and may not want to make any waves. Klein seems to be a man of alchohol and brash moves.

Cheney was an exceptional Defense Secretary and head of Haliburton, an oil derivitive. Best is let 'm sweat and wait for the next US Election. But who knows what's already been signed though Klein cannot sign for Canada. He can sign for the dinner bill though.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Heh oil for the gurantee of defense... its a long shot but I wouldnt put it down.

The problem is missle defense is hit and miss. i mean, miss and miss.

I guess it will be up to Martin to make the big deal for oil. He really has no legacy, and his time could be running out after gomery, so I wouldnt be surprised if he goes and does something big.

d1k

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
All I have to say is....pay up....I'll take direct payments, PM me for details.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Even if we get the $5 billion from the US does it really matter? Its surprising that with the 2nd biggest Oil reverses in the world, we can’t even get a tax break in our own country, Americans actually pay less for Oil in terms of international dollars in there own country believe or not. All the tax increases on goods and cuts in public spending is really starting to show. I’m mean still I love it here, but come on. Its time Martin and the liberals get kicked out of office and let another party try to do a better job. Where’s all the money from the sponsorship scandal? $250 million stolen out of Canadian pockets that could have gone to schools, programs, etc. What a shame.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
He might. Prime Minister Martin might get removed through a non confidence vote on the next budget?

But who'll be electe after that? That I have no idea at all about. But at least there will be some serious election promises made.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Isn't anyone disturbed that the US Ambassador participated in the Premiers meeting? And as far as I'm aware he has yet to meet PM Martin in person? I've felt the integration of government was OK to this point but I see big changes may be coming in Canada and I suspect Canucks will have little to do with it. Resources may only be the tip of the "assimilative-iceberg".
America is being told they need security and we (Canada and most Joe and Jill average everywhere) potentially stand in their way. We will be told the changes are for security reasons and public safety at every turn - we will be enumerated and evaluated and judged. Gone across the border recently? - real "mark of the beast" stuff and they're just gettin' warmed up. Even NASCAR (a politcal pacifier if there ever was) has come to Canada.
I give us one more major terror attack on NA and only the badges will be different - tabula rasa for the New Police state.
But it all takes resources - that'll be first.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
The only thing left after all the special visitors at this premiers meeting is for alchohol Klein to announce a separation vote in Alberta?

I knows it's been discussed for years. That would hurt Canada and could even lead to British Columbia's following suite, though I don't think the Asian populous in BC will vote in favor.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
There are no non-confidence issues slated for the fall sitting and the gov't is unlikely to fall. The Gomery report is due out in November or December and PM Martin has promised an election within 30 days of that time. Think like Feb or Mar. I want someone who stands any chance of forming a government to preserve our resources and our sovereignty. Sure almost all our politicos are well - corrupt/broken? But if we can get promises then we can at least say liar and try and hold them accountable to the people. The panoply of sovereign resources are they only thing that America needs from Canada. What do we need from America? Think about it... What don't we need? At some point we will have to reckon this. I'm not sure maybe everything'll work out great for the US and Canada - All it will take is one major terror attack on the continent and the only difference between Yanks and Canucks will be the colour of the police uniforms and the accent on the talking heads. Think of Reagan's "alien" speech at the UN replace "alien" with any threat-spin-of-the-day... unity of fear. Sad.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I hear you 5x5. Sort of a "Titor-like" A.F.E? Regional-based on more like values issues? Who knows... might be better. But I have to say I am proud to be born and raised Canadian - I live in the finest nation on this planet. Pity to watch it erode... but if it breaks up I'll help defend what ever piece of it I happen to wind up in... that's if that doesn't get sold out from under us too. At some point the price of gas doesn't matter - taking and holding possesion does. That'll be a tall order huh?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Canadian politics is very strange. One thing I know for sure is that Chretien and Martin definitely had a huge role in the scam since Martin Finance minister and knows what really happened to all the money. Chretien was acting crazy calling Gomery biased and tried to get him removed using the courts. Just shows that he played a huge hand and neither Martin nor Chretien will admit to any blame. Strange thing is, I trust the Liberals more than the Conservatives under Steven Harper…never liked that guy. I genuinely feel that Jack Layton representing the NDP would do a better job than those two knuckleheads parties. What happened with the Decriminalization of Marijuana that Martin promised? Bastard..

[edit on 16-8-2005 by Darth Tinku]

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   
The major problem with Canada is that it lacks a leader that can make decisions.

If you dont believe that, look at how Martin handled missle defense. I am not saying any of the other stooges could do it better, but he really looked weak there.

He needs to shape up and start getting tough with the Americans.

Im not sure what will come out of Gomery in the end, but I heard today in a poll that the gomery issue is now fading away in the minds of Canadians.

Exactlly what Martin wants to happen.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   
We haven't seen a proper politician since Trudeau, period. He had balls of steel, that one. But now, it's all wiffling and scamming. Tory land scams, liberal sponsorship...

Not to mention the fact that hippies have ruined a lot of legislation. For isntance, the gun registry. It's pretty pointless and confusing, like 90% of the Firearms Act.

The Senate is dead weight, and AC should be lined up and shot for sucking down so many taxpayer dollars.

But, no matter what, I love this country.

DE

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
D and DE... I whole heartedly agree. Perhaps Canada lacks a decision that can make a leader? FLQ, China, NEP, floating the dollar when it was $1.08US... yeah Trudeau had the correct physical attributes peculiar to the male anatomy to insure decision making. Our current and recent "leaders" are appartachiks of the "Ghost In The Machine" - Harper scares me by what he doesn't (or isn't allow to say), Martin is just an old-money Anglo lookin' out for number one, "Smilin' Jack" talks a good story - but lacks the grunt and resources - Maybe the NDP should get a shot at governing - I think we'd be more likely to see some spine even if the nut does have a left-hand thread. I would love it if we could toss political-parties and go to a "loose-fish" Canadian scenario - but the political critical mass just isn't there - yet... We need a "dilemma grande or force majeur" that'll force our leaders to take a stand and do something more than pay lip service to our sovereignty. Could resources be the international issue that binds these buggers to fish or cut bait for our nation? What about "Belly" Stronach, Petey "I got dumped by that witch" Mckay and Captain PQuist Duceppe? Do these folks have the "step-up and come-forward on the side stick" factor needed to shift the center one way or the other? And what of Trudeau the junior? Is he hooked up well enough with the RFK Jr. crew to make a difference? I want to see how much political capital will be expended now that the Danes are sending another ship to Hans Island - I'd love it if America lend-leased us a LA class sub and had it surface near Hans Island and the JTF2 hombres set up a little "camping" trip... that might force some semblance of spine - our Minister of Defense talks big but has a small stick and walks without moccasins- any bets on when the PRT in Kandahar takes casualties? My money is on a time just before the Yanks need something from us... Our folks seem to be sittin' ducks in them G-Wagons... IED fodder or political fodder or just plain fodder? Isn't there a second-gen Mulroney being groomed? D'Oh!

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
David Wilkins is now the newly installed American Ambassador for Canada.

A Bush supporter for many years, his credentials are stuff of legend.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

I'm sure we can expect fair dealings with this fellow of excellent qualities, even, perhaps a quick end to the softwood lumber dispute...

NOT!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Update:

Ill quote the entire article, as its short, but I will give you the source.

Canada said on Tuesday it would scrap softwood lumber dispute talks with the United States next week following the U.S.'s refusal to eliminate duties after a trade panel decision.

"Following consultations with provincial governments, and in light of the U.S. response to the August 10 decision of the NAFTA Extraordinary Challenge Committee, the government of Canada has decided to not proceed with the negotiations planned for next week," Trade Minister Jim Peterson said in a statement.

The NAFTA committee had rejected a U.S. appeal of a ruling that said Washington had failed to justify imposing duties on Canadian softwood, used in building homes.

Washington Post

So now what? what does this even mean?

Related:

CTV
CBC Toronto

Canadian officials have questioned Washington's commitment to the free trade agreement.

Peterson has told Portman that Canadians are outraged by the refusal to follow NAFTA rules.

Finance Minister Ralph Goodale has said Washington has to understand that "Canada takes this very, very seriously.'''

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
But you beat me to the punch...

What it means, in my most fevered dreams, is that Canada will be shredding that Nafta debacle as soon as the Liberals get their thumbs out of their...er...mouths.
Kudos to Jim Peterson, but why did this have to appear first in the Washington Post while the canadian rags say nothing?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Kudos to Jim Peterson, but why did this have to appear first in the Washington Post while the canadian rags say nothing?

Complacency of the Canadian public? Probably thought is wasn't worth printing.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Canadian sources covered it first. Even in my articles you can see the time difference.

I saw it on the news this morning too.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Is silence the best policy? Or merely a tactic waiting to see what Uncle Dick "Chicanery" is gonna plunk on the table behind doors closed? I mean they must be doin' this for a reason - right? Or maybe left? What do these folks really want? I smell a package deal a comin'. Convenient that the CBC ain't operatin' on all cylinders at the moment don'tcha think? This action or withdrawal of action is decidely noteworthy but I'm not sure why - yet? Is a paortion of the GUC (Grand Unified Conspiracy) theory about to go operational? The timing of these events is well - smelly.

today.reuters.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Interesting rhetoric now available - for public consumption. Serpent boy and commie-guy are active - but these are merely openers in a game of "Jacks or better to open"? We're gonna get reamed - no KY in AB for Dicky-Boy.
www.ndp.ca...
www.conservative.ca...

D'Oh clicked the wrong button and started a new thread - sorry all - hgs0

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join