It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New idea for planet habitation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
What if we could make a machine to mimic another planet, so say you wanted to go on vacation to mars for the weekend. instead of going there by use of shuttle, you could just go to like a virtual airport, where they put you in like a cryogenic freezer thing and strap things to your brain. then you could just kind of imagine yourself on mars. But it would be really customized and realistic, like everything was touchable and you had all your senses and stuff, and it could be like regular vacation, you had to pay a certain price to upload a 5-star hotel or a 2-star hotel. i suppose you could use it for living too but i think it would be too weird. anyone at least get where im going with this?

Schmidt1989

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I guess the travel time would be shorter, but people might want to actually go there.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
yeah but i think this could be usefull for those that cannot afford the $100,000,000 ticket...which by the way is absurd.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
An interesting concept, though with perhaps some problems (like, for instance, feeding the body and the fact that we don't have a good suspended animation technology (nor one that would allow you to remember things.))

In a sense, we do this with some of the computer games. I've been reading up on RealLife cyborgs, though, and there is a "disjunction with reality" problem when you come out of an extended trip to an extended reality. You sometimes see this problem when you get TOO immersed in a game; a brief point where you wish or long for things available in a cyberreality that aren't available in a reality.

I think as a game concept or other live concept it might be fun to explore. It'd probably cost an arm and several legs, though, and recouping investment could be a pain. But interesting notion, I think.

And there is a growing interest in Virtual Reality rides which are often more extreme (but safer) than roller coasters.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
i knew thered be lots of problems with it, like you said such as feeding and what if it crashed? you could perhaps go brain dead or something from an electric shock or something else..

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989
What if we could make a machine to mimic another planet, so say you wanted to go on vacation to mars for the weekend. instead of going there by use of shuttle, you could just go to like a virtual airport, where they put you in like a cryogenic freezer thing and strap things to your brain. then you could just kind of imagine yourself on mars. But it would be really customized and realistic, like everything was touchable and you had all your senses and stuff, and it could be like regular vacation, you had to pay a certain price to upload a 5-star hotel or a 2-star hotel. i suppose you could use it for living too but i think it would be too weird. anyone at least get where im going with this?

Sounds like you've been watching too much Total Recall.
Schmidt1989

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I agree with NWguy

What you described sound just like the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie called "Total Recall.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
really? never even heard of the movie...

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I was gonna tell him to write it up as a film & sugest the title total recall but now my prank has been spoiled!

new topics

top topics

join