It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Developing Tornadocane Over Northern Indiana?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
There seems to be something very unusual developing over northern Indiana. It is approaching South Bend & Fort Wayne. I don't recall ever seeing a radar signature like this in all my years. Here is a thunderstorm with banding features like a tropical system. There is a very clear circulation to the storm.

www.climatepatrol.com...

What are your thoughts on this?

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Wow!

That looks weird. People in that area should take cover now!

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Wow, interesting.

A small storm with huge area of counterclockwise rotation.

I've never seen anything quite like that over land either Indy.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It's just an area of low pressure which rotates counter clockwise. I see them all the time on sat maps. Looks like some pretty bad weather over there.

[edit on 8/13/2005 by GoldEagle]

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldEagle
It's just an area of low pressure which rotates counter clockwise. I see then all the time on sat maps.

You see them all the time in large systems. But when have you seen a thuderstorm do that? There can be storms that rotate. They are called mesocyclones. But I haven't seen them with banding features like this.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
That's the type of cell that will do a fair bit of damage, NOAA has reports of 3 tornados in Indiana today, fortunately minor ones, but that system still looks nasty.

Here's the current look: www.crh.noaa.gov...

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
According to the latest radar image the estimated maximum winds are 86 kts. Not sure if that is a surface reading or what.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Interesting, but how does it occur?

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lifeadventurer
Interesting, but how does it occur?

Honestly not really sure how a storm like this forms. They are so rare and since their formation is unpredictable there is no real way to study them. Here is a link on the 1999 North Carolina tornadocane.

www.spc.noaa.gov...

Says on the page that peak non tornadic winds were 165mph. That is the strength of wind gust you'd epxect to find in a category 4 hurricane. Winds that strong will cause extreme damage.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
if that's the same storm that hit central MA today it was outrageously powerful

i haven't seen anything like it in all my time here...by the power of it i could've sworn it was a hurricane

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Im reading a book about it. The book sas global warming causes it. do you think thats true.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I read a book on the tornadocane. It said that Global warming is causing it. Do you think that is true and what will happen if the thing over Northern Indiana turns out to be real?

new topics

top topics

join