It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major global warming contribution; the snowball is in motion!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Siberia starts to melt

The world's largest frozen peat bog has started to melt for the first time since it was formed 11,000 years ago.

link: ananova news

Underneith this bog is billions of tonnes of methane, 20 times worse than carbon dioxide. When the ice melts the methane will be released! I was wondering if they could just set it all on fire and burn off all the methane. Does anyone know what chemicals are made when you burn methane?

i got this from ananova, couldnt find a better link, perhaps someone else could post a better one.

[edit on 13-8-2005 by superduperman]

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
this is serious stuff here

other reports i read told that the thaw is happening over an area roughly the size of france and germany combined

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by superduperman

i got this from ananova, couldnt find a better link, perhaps someone else could post a better one.

[edit on 13-8-2005 by superduperman]

It could very well be true. Earth changes are occuring everywhere. It's a fact that the Arctic ice packs and glaciers are melting. However Ananova is certainly not a reliable news source. Ananova is the Newspaper Checkout Counter tabloid of the Internet.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant

It could very well be true. Earth changes are occuring everywhere. It's a fact that the Arctic ice packs and glaciers are melting. However Ananova is certainly not a reliable news source. Ananova is the Newspaper Checkout Counter tabloid of the Internet.

yeah i know its a bad link, but i know its true coz i originally read it in a reliable newspaper, and also saw it on bbc news on tv. I also heard it was the size of fance and germany combined!!! this is a major problem, but surely you can set it on fire to burn off all the methane?

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I'm seeing more and more stories in the media about the loss of ice. The story that superduperman was talking about was also on the BBC web site.
Here's the link to their story:
news.bbc.co.uk...

But they also had a report about the rapid decline of glaciers in Greenland:
news.bbc.co.uk...

It looks like our world is in for some big changes in the future because this is happening in the north of Canada with the loss of perma-frost and with glaciers melting all over North and South America.

Don't buy any beach front property folks, it may end up under water in a few years.........

new topics

top topics

join