It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone name this machine gun for me?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I remember hearing something about it where the ammo is just stacked up in the barrel, and it uses electromagnetism to fire, or something like that. They just stuff ammo down the barrel until it can't hold anymore, and it just opens up at whatever rate you set it to.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
It is fired electronically. Each round is "locked" until an impulse fires it and unlike an old pepperbox revolver or Winchester lever-action you don't have one round setting the next off through the percussion cap and creating a run-on.

As for anti-ordnance, the original prototype was a pistol and they've made assault rifle versions. Multiple barrels to prevent the need for reloading. In the infantry version the selling point isn't rate of fire, it's the guarantee of no jams. Ever. Unless your battery fails. And no field-stripping. And no clogging the works with dust. Or mud.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spreadthetruth

Originally posted by MickeyDee
The people at this company are mad!

Check this out.....

How good would that be on Robot Wars!!!!!.....

Mic

[edit on 13/8/2005 by MickeyDee]

LMAO!!! What the hell are we gonna use that for?? Worming out badgers????
I swear thee should be a show for thses real deal battlebots

looks like the type of ROV used by bomb disposal units the four barrels are likely 12 gauge single fire, loaded with special ammo that dismantle the device keeping it from being triggered

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
They have also done a 40mm grenade launcher version kind of like a mini mlrs (but without the range)

I believe trials are being held as an addition to ship mounted phalanx style systems

Several of thouse mounted on carrier would make cruise missile strikes far less succesful.

To reload replace the barrel with a new preloaded one

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
The people at this company are mad!

Check this out.....

How good would that be on Robot Wars!!!!!.....

Mic

[edit on 13/8/2005 by MickeyDee]

Funny, yes it would propably wine verybody there...

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Metalstorm. Must have all you weapon junkies just ready to tear down whatever pinup is currently gracing your closet door, for this latest "gun du jour." It's simply a test bed for technology, and like many prototypes has severe limitations. The cyclic rate of 1,000,000 RPM is based on the firing of 180 rounds. You will also note that there's not details regarding setup, maintenance or the steps involved in actually utilizing this weapon. It's so cumbersome that some hillbilly half drunk on moonshine with a flintlock rifle could take down the crew of this weapon before it could even be set up, not the kind of “tactical advantage” I’m looking for. Give me a team of well trained rifleman, against your video game weaponry anytime.

Dismissed

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
give me a Marine sniper armed with the .50 cal sniper rifle Barett and will see which ones wins. Machine or man.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
give me a Marine sniper armed with the .50 cal sniper rifle Barett and will see which ones wins. Machine or man.

against what or who a cruise missile ? i'd like to see that

keep in mind that these weapon systems have a very limited spectrum of utilisation (as it has been mentionned a bit further up)
different situations demand different weapon systems , try neutralising a strategic bomber with a 155 mm self-propelled howitzer......
metal storm (just like tha phalanx system) would make an excellent defense against a lot of types of ordnance onboard a ship
just like snipers are very effective at pinning down infantry units , getting rid of commanding officers, and even light or medium armored vehicles, counter-sniping, not talking about the psychological effect

give me an a-10 and MK78 500lb napalm ordnance and we'll see who wins
a-10 or sniper (sounds about the same as your sentence.....
)

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Give me one goal keeper and several thousand rounds of ammo, we'll see who wins

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Imagian a field full of these things. I guess it would be pretty effective on a train or somthing.

This electric mechanism device is interesting. If anyone can post up some more info on this i'll be happy

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
They have already developed hand guns prototypes that work like the Metal storm gun.

The O'Dwyer VLe

Cant say I would want to use one of these though. It fires so fast you better hit your target when you fire or you could be out of bullets very fast. The saftey features on it are interesting many gun companies are working on features like that though.

www.metalstorm.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Give me one goal keeper and several thousand rounds of ammo, we'll see who wins

Give me Monty Python ready to re-enact the battle of Pearl Harbour

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
The weapon isn't for use against troops or vehicles, it's strictly anti-ordinance.

It's basically is designed to throw up a wall of lead or tungsten in the flight path of mortars and missles.

Using metalstorm against soft targets would be the very definition of overkill.

From my understanding this statement is true. It was developed as an anti missile gun for battleships. It can of course be used for other applications if the need arrises.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
They have an idea for a 40mm grenade launcher that would put a group of grenades into a box shaped area and have them detonate simultaneously about 6 ft. off of the ground. I want that puppy on my side. You can have your riflemen I like my chances with this.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
robo gun
had serius problam of stabilty i see and had video of its firing although with single barrel it wobble while firing cant acurate becuse of kick back.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join