It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Why should I have to 'Press 1 for English?''

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   
For illegals, a spreading backlash
Counties, states hope to needle Bush into tightening US border.

CALDWELL, IDAHO – This oasis of irrigated farm country in the high desert is a long way from the US-Mexico border, and even farther from the nation's capital, but it represents America's new battleground on immigration policy.

Here county commissioner Robert Vasquez is trying to do what he says Washington won't: crack down on illegal immigration. He recently sued several local employers in a novel bid to use federal anticorruption law to prevent hiring illegals.
LINK

Well I for one feel that you should try to adopt your new countries language and not the other way around. Its getting out of hand and I for one am pissed at Bush for not doing anything, so there you have edsinger bashed bush.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Alright Edwards! You realize not only is he opening the borders he is cutting Border Patrol funds, making programs that basically say "Come here and rape our women." and all this happens while terrorists enter the country illegally from Mexico!

Although I normally don't have to press one for english just wait for the option I want and press it. If I wait I get around 4-5 for "If you want these options in spanish please press #"

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Alright Edwards! You realize not only is he opening the borders he is cutting Border Patrol funds, making programs that basically say "Come here and rape our women." and all this happens while terrorists enter the country illegally from Mexico!

(I'm sorry...is this another of those sarcastic posts where I'm just missing the point? I'm terribly sorry if it is - I just can't tell
)

Otherwise I'll say something about no terrorists ever having been Mexican and most rapes being carried out by people known to the victims, and not rogue foreigners...

But I can't tell from the post. Sorry

[edit on 13-8-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I think alcohol and ATS might not be a good match maybe?

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
[
I for one am pissed at Bush for not doing anything, so there you have edsinger bashed bush.

No reason to bash President Bush ED. He is just doing what Rove, Cheney and Rummy, Wolfawitz and Condi tell him to do.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaaNo reason to bash President Bush ED. He is just doing what Rove, Cheney and Rummy, Wolfawitz and Condi tell him to do.

At with that you explain perfectly how you know nothing.

[edit on 14-8-2005 by edsinger]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

You got that right edsinger!!

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Some times Im glad that I live in this part of the world the benfit of living on Island(s) is that illegals cant just walk across a poorly guarded section of the border.

Looking from the outside in to many people benfit from the flow of illegal aliens.
Who else would work for lower wages and less workplace safety?
The illegal aliens should be rounded up at the border and given military training if they are willing to die for America they have earned the right to make the US there home.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
The illegal aliens should be rounded up at the border and given military training if they are willing to die for America they have earned the right to make the US there home.

I think I saw that in a movie Gangs of New York, where all immigrants who came from ships and wanted to stay were immediately sent to fight general Lee.

I've watched first episode of fourtg seasson of CSI Miami, where cops arrested some gangmembers from Nicaragua. When they asked one of them some questions he replied:

No habla Ingles

And a detective said:

Well you better learn it fast Esse.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by edsinger

You got that right edsinger!!

- Oh no no no; we'd lose some of our (unwittingly) funniest posts.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I'm normally too much of a tulipwalker to agree with you ed, but I'm right there with you. I've grown up in areas where all "official" mailings (ie bills) or papers sent home from school come out in 2+ languages. In fact, the town I used to live in, if you didn't speak Spanish, the job market was basically closed. I don't fault the business owners for that so much: you need employees that speak the local language in order to do business. But it's crap that it comes to that.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Sorry to bust the bubble but as a free Enterprise and capitalism the business sector is going to carter to the majorities in this case if you are in a mostly majority Spanish speaking community they will forget about you and they will go where the money is.

So you may have become a minority in your English speaking community now.

Suggestion learn Spanish is not so bad after all, I can deal with both languages been Spanish my language of birth.

So can you.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
No, Marg, I'll not learn Spanish simply to make the invader feel more at home. I have a better idea of how to make them feel just like they are at home, but INS won't do its job!

However, I agree with you in that it is purely "free enterprise" at work.

Press whatever number necessary to buy their wares or service, that's their motto!

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Hey Spanish is my first language, but in my Island English is feed to us since elementary schools and all over the Island the English signs are everywhere.

Also to get a job you have to speak both languages.

You are forgetting that most of the communities that are majority Spanish are not full of Illegals, they are also working tax payer Spanish people too and citizens of the US.

Perhaps you should take a trip around the US and see what is going on, I have been all around the country north and south, Hawaii included.

No all Spanish people are illegal, terrorist and bad.

BTW we don't bite either.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I completely understand businesses wanting to increase their market by incorporating local languages--I'm not crazy about it, but it's a "necessary evil." What bugs me is that it gets to the point to where even radio and television ads on primarily English stations are fully in Spanish at times, or utility companies send out two copies of your bill, one in English, one in whatever the local language is. Like I said above, when I was in school in southern CA, every time there was an announcement from the school it got sent home in several different languages: English, Spanish, Cambodian, Vietnamese, and Korean that I can think of right now.

If I moved to Germany, why should I expect the Germans to change their culture to suit me? If they send all their mailings out in German, then it's up to me to learn the language, not up to them to send me duplicate copies in English. If I don't want to learn German, then that's my laziness, and I can just as easily move somewhere else.

The places I've lived don't look at it the same way though. Most of the people in those communities feel it's their duty to accomodate illegal immigrants, even to the point where legal or native born citizens are considered second class.

In El Paso, TX, where I spent most of my teenage and adult life, if you're an illegal immigrant then at worst you get a slap on the wrist and sent back across the border so you can do it again. Most of the time the community looks the other way, because you're cheap labor. However, God forbid you should be a native citizen smoking in a bar, gambling in public, or committing any similar crimes against humanity.

I understand the people want to come to the US to get a good job, make a living and get a better life, but that doesn't mean that we have to make it any easier for them than for everybody else.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Marg, I have been around the country, and I am aware that there are many people who have come to this country but have not bothered to learn the language, and I am aware that not all of them are illegal, but I was referring to those who are. As far as those who aren't, they REALLY should learn the language, wouldn't you think? I certainly would. If I decided to move toanother country, I certainly wouldn't expect the people of that country to change to accomodate me.

As far as you not biting; darn!

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I will never bite you Thomas you are my friend and good honest one and a great topic goer.

I love your post even when I disagree with them most of the time.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

If I moved to Germany, why should I expect the Germans to change their culture to suit me? If they send all their mailings out in German, then it's up to me to learn the language, not up to them to send me duplicate copies in English. If I don't want to learn German, then that's my laziness, and I can just as easily move somewhere else.

I lived in Germany for two years while stationed there (USAF). At that time they had a large influx of Kurdish immigrants from Turkey and Iraq moving into the country.

I happened to be in a office doing some buisness with a German girlfriend and we were filling out forms for her apartment. A couple of Kurdish people came next to me and asked for help in filling out their forms for their registration of housing for that city (in their spoken broken English and German). I took one look at the form and it was Identical to my girlfriends. All German.

When I asked my girlfriend if they had a more friendlier form for these people... she went and asked. The desk clerk called out in a very rude tone.. "This is the Federal Repubic of Germany! Not Iraq, we do not make special forms for individuals!".

My girlfriend privately agreed with the clerk.. They did not mind the immigration of the Kurds.. They just did not make exceptions in their policy for them.

That incident made me take a long hard look at the US apeasement of immigrants. I went home to Eastern Oregon, and had to renew my Oregon Drivers License.. Guess what I found in the office. Large signs in Spanish and much smaller signs in English. When I got to the desk I happened to ask how many different languages there were for the drivers license application... the clerks answer was: 43 different languages. That shocked me to the core....

The Spanish to English thing in my hometown is due to the large immigrant farm familes who come from Mexico and live in the area for about a year and then leave.. Many stay of course and become citizens. But Many of those refuse to speak English to even the English speakers..

I am not against Immigration.. just against the appeasement of those immigrants as compared to the citizens in this nation

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Ed,

It could be worse, you could be pressing 2 for english and that might be the case in the future for America the more immigrants come here.
Who do you think will be #1, Arabs or Mexicans?

When I call a Quebec number in canada English is #2.

It goes with the territory.

America was an english speaking nation for ages, but before Englishmen came over here I believe the Indian's had it first and their language...

Why don't you ask yourself how you think they feel?

Your cheesed off about a number? I can think of many reasons why they could be pissed off, stealing their land and all, attempts at social engineering, and destroying their culture in replace of european/white ways of doing things a few decades past.
Put your boobs back in your bra ed.

[edit on 26-9-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I remember in junior high (1985-87) being told that Spanish was one of our languages. Now I know better.

I don't mind if *people* are bilingual, trilingual, or polyglots. But you have problems if the *society* is bilingual.

I took a good look at my son's crayons today. The colors are printed in English, Spanish, and French!

I agree--you move to another country, learn to sling the lingo! I don't care if you speak pig Latin at home, if you want to do business, learn its native language! Don't be going to another country and expecting them to cater to you 'cause you're too lazy to learn the language!

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

top topics

join