It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK - Grey boxes on roadside?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
What are the grey boxes you see along the roadside everywhere?
Thyey are on short (About 2 foot) poles and you can see the tar on the road where an inductance loop has been laid.
They seem to be everywhere, even on roads that don't have problems with tailbacks, so I can't see they are to monitor congestion, they are even in country roads.

Does anyone know? I can't find anything about them anywhere, I've spoken to people and most have noticed them but have never thought about it and no-one knows what they are.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Drive alot faster than allowed and you might notice a month later what the box was...
They might even send you a pic. of it. Alot of those boxes is fake photo-boxes to make cardrivers check their speed.

Other boxes is for electricity, they might want to put up roadlights or signs with lights at some time in the future. Or cable (tv).

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   
No these ones arn't cameras or fake cameras. They are only a couple feet high and there are no openings on them. You can see the newer tar where an inductance loop has been put into the road in front of them too. I'll have to take a photo, it looks like some sort of monitoring system but to what ends. They are at quite regular intervals and even on quiet roads whgich is odd.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I think they are there to monitor the volume of traffic over any given road.

We have a few around the area i live in.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
AgentSmith,
Those boxes are for mind control used by the reptilian grey alien things secretly running the new world order that no one has any proof of and has been talking about for years and yet still nothing.

Quickly begin smashing all those grey boxes (WHY do you think they are GREY?! coincidence? I think not
). If anyone tries to stop you they HAVE to be aliens so I think we all know what you have to do to them.....

Can't hold it in anymore...

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Do the poles terminate at the ground on a flat metal plate - maybe bolted on ?
The boxes are not too big either...

I think I've seen them too, now as you mention it ... I'll take and upload a picture of the next one I see.

Are they near [traffic light controlled] junctions, or in area's that are in line for road improvements? I tend to imagine that they are for traffic monitoring.

Maybe part of the pilot for the new 'pay per mile' tariff that was being proposed a while ago ?

[Edit: so the post made sense !]

[edit on 13-8-2005 by 0951]

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by andpau66
AgentSmith,
Those boxes are for mind control used by the reptilian grey alien things secretly running the new world order that no one has any proof of and has been talking about for years and yet still nothing.

Quickly begin smashing all those grey boxes (WHY do you think they are GREY?! coincidence? I think not
). If anyone tries to stop you they HAVE to be aliens so I think we all know what you have to do to them.....

Can't hold it in anymore...
If you read my posts, then you will know I think pretty much the same way you do LOL!
No I don't think crazy stuff like that, I just want to know what they are for!
I'm not a retard, sorry I meant Ickist (no offence to real people that have real mental difficulties) They obviously do have a purpose though and I wondered what the official explanation was...

[edit on 13-8-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
They are small coolers, used by road workers, post men and the like for keeping there packed lunches fresh.......oh and the odd beer.

Honestly

The fact that im on my second glass of wine should not be used in any way to debunk this post.

[edit on 13-8-2005 by UiNeill]

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
These photos should help you better understand the speed trap..

Some are rubber tubes (like what was used in old gas station bells.. *ding ding*) and some are piezo-electric strips actually built into the road.

If you see the rubber tubes, lock up your brakes and skid acrossed them.. it spoils all their fun ;p

And others are merely travel loggers:

TRAFFIC DATA LOGGER (TDL) FOR TRAFFIC DATA COLLECTION

The Truvelo TDL-500 provides accurate, reliable, high-speed Weigh-In-Motion (WIM) data. Such data provides authorities with reliable statistics in order to monitor the damage factor on road network systems and then carry out road design and rehabilitation programs.

Data from the TDL-500 is used for many different applications, including:

* Road pavement design and planning
* Predicting levels of pollution in tunnels based on actual vehicle weights
* Axle load monitoring and screening
* Recording of relative load movements

The TDL-500 takes data from inductive loops and sensors that are either placed on top of the road pavement (for portable applications) or are mounted in the pavement in stainless steel pans in order to monitor axle loading (for permanent sites). The road sensors cover a maximum of four traffic lanes.

The TDL-500 combines the sensor information into a default data string consisting of such vehicle data as number, chassis height, speed, length, class, number of axles, axle weight, as well as data such as weight violations, bridge overloading, arrival date and time, lane number, travel direction, trailer present, etc.

The stored data can be extracted via the instrument display, sent to a paper printer or transferred to a computer via direct RS232 connection or modem.

Source

[edit on 8/13/2005 by QuietSoul]

new topics

top topics

join