It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami To Wipe Out East Coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I've only seen one post about this, no threads, but I think it's a topic that is thread worthy.

There is a Volcano in the Canary islands known as the Cumbre Vieja, on one of it's next explosions would split apart, send a giant piece of rock, roughly twice the size of the isle of Man in Britain, into the Atlantic Ocean.

Scientists estimate this would cause a Tsunami so large, it would travel 4,000 miles across the Atlantic, hitting the East Coast of the U.S., and traveling up to 20 miles inland.

Professor Bill McGuire, the director of the Benfield Grieg Hazard Research Centre at University College, Londin, stated that the US government is not taking the threat very seriously, and that Boston, New York, Washington DC, and Miami could be virtually wiped out by this incedent.

The last eruption of this Valcano was in 1949, and scientists estimate this Valcano blows about once every 20-200 years.

Anyway, I just thought this would be a good topic for discussion here. Is there any way to monitor siesmic activity in this region?

www.prisonplanet.com...

stevequayle.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
here you are

www.iris.edu...

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
And i live right on its path
I think if its not one thing it will be another that will get us in the near future.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
ive known about this for years, at least 8. They always show speacials about this on the discovery channel ive watched em a million times

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by weeman
ive known about this for years, at least 8. They always show speacials about this on the discovery channel ive watched em a million times

Yeah, I've seen this story retold many times as well. As I recall the experts are in wide disagreement as to what would happen -- this is obviously the worst possible scenario and is not at all likely.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This has been discussed before ...

Notably ... Here within the last three months.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Well, disasters are always going to be a part of our lives... We'll just have to learn to accept them...

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by weeman

This sounds like the boy who cried wolf too many times. They have been warning people for at least 8 years without anything happening. When something is actually about to happen, I could just see many people say yea we heard it before just go back to your normal lives. Then the thing erupsts.

This is a possibility with all doomsday perdections. Everyone will get so use to hearing about them, they never happen, and will sturck with disbelief not knowing what to do if and when it actually does happen.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   
there was a british documentery about this almost ten years ago now. get the sand bags out

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
wow thats one huge tsunami

but it is comfirmed??

top topics

join