It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a Mrs. God ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Most pre-christian civilisations had Mother Goddesses aplenty and many of their creation ideologies were Goddess centric. It's been suggested that this prevailed at a time when Man's contribution to a Woman's pregnancy was not understood. Once it was understood the cult of the goddess waned while the cult of a God waxed. Priestesses were replaced by priests and so on. The Greek Myths provide a good working example of this where it can also be seen how 'local' gods and goddesses were absorbed into the mainstream pantheon. The known mythology also changed over time including the creation story. Thus the Goddess gave way to the God. Even the word Jevovah has a Sumerian Goddess root. In fact in early Genesis it is a female 'spirit of the lord' broods on the face of the waters.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chasrac64
Did Man teach this or God?
Who says Mary is the Mother Of God? maybe the Church?

Mary is the Mother of God. This is in the bible. Christ is God.
Mary is His mother. Therefore - she is the Mother of God.

Man Made doctrine????? did God personally come down
here and tell you this? or did you learn it in the Church????

God did not personally come down and write the bible. Men did.
Catholic men in the year 350 A.D. (or so) finalized 'approved'
scripture. Therefore the answer to your question is BOTH ...
God inspired scripture and men wrote it down.

The truth that Mary is the Mother of God is not something
that was made up by a church, unless you believe that Christ being
God was made up by a church. The teaching that Mary is the
Mother of God is pure scripture. This can only be rejected by
people who do not believe that Christ is God (LDS for example).

[edit on 8/15/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The bible says God is a man. The bible and Jesus calls God the Father, therefor being a man. The father can not be a father if he is a woman. Second if you read revelations chapter 4 God sit in the throne between 24 elders. this is saying God has a body in heaven two.

John 17 v 1 ( after Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed. " FATHER, the time has come. glorify your son, that your son may glorify you.

my point is Jesus calls him father.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Jesus figures pretty late in terms of Goddess worship (as in most deities had been made male long before then).

There is also that old chestnut of androgyny which has been something ascribed to many deities as well as angels.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
You know, when Jesus was calling God "father", maybe he wasn't biologically speaking. Maybe it's just the general role of things. It's like if an adopted child calls his foster dad "father". The man isn't really the child's father but still fullfills the same role after birth.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I`m sorry, I have very different view then you do. This is what I believe in an no one can convince me any other way.
I have seen things in a different view, maybe because I never let Religion control my life. Honestly, you could not pay me all the money in the world to attend one of these services. ( Church) Knowing what I know now!
To try and explain this to other people, I may as well go :bnghd:

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Even if we consider Jesus,
The Son of God or The Son Of Man
and God as The Father, this does not answer the question of God having a companion.

I personally believe that the Bible is a very well intended guidebook to humanity.
It is also a book of rules and law.
Some may take the text literally and others will know the difference between the words of men
and The Word Of God.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chasrac64
I`m sorry, I have very different view then you do.

That's fine. No need to apologize for a different view.
You asked where the teaching of Mother of God came from.
I tried my best to explain it. I'll try one last time to show
you that it is straight from scripture ...

Scripture says Jesus is God.
Mary carried Him in her womb.
Mary bore Him. Mary raised Him.
This is all through the gospels - especially LUKE.
She is absolutely His mother - the Mother of God.

Now what some people have a problem with is that they
think this somehow means that Mary generated Christ's
soul. This is not so. GOD generates souls, not people.
Your mother carried you in her womb and bore you. She
didn't generate your soul, but she is still your mother.
The same with Mary. She carried God in her womb and
bore Him. She didn't generate His soul, but she's still
His mother.

Of course if you don't believe that Christ is God ... well ...
then that whole thought process doesn't make it for ya'
does it??

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Are you forgetting that Mary had a husband?

Mary was the mother of Jesus of Nazareth The Christ Child.

Christ The Savior sent to teach us The Word Of God.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree
Are you forgetting that Mary had a husband?

Of course I'm not forgetting. How could anyone forget
about Joseph? Scripture clearly states that Mary found
herself to be pregnant through the power of the Holy Spirit
BEFORE she and Joseph lived together ('knew' man).
Joseph had no part in the procreation of Christ. He was
Christ's foster father ... but definately not his biological father.

Mary was the mother of Jesus of Nazareth The Christ Child.

Absolutely. Mary ... mother of Christ ... who is GOD incarnate
(see beginning of gospel of John ... in the beginning was the
Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God ...)

Thus ... Mother of God.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
:bnghd:

Please help me cope

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Sure Fallen .. I'll help you cope .... Here is what scripture says ...

In Luke we find the Angel of the Lord announcing to Mary that
she will be the mother of the Savior and she asks how that can
be since she isn't having sex with a husband. The angel says
that she will become pregnant by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Therefore ... there is no HUMAN father procreating Jesus.

Luke 1:26-39

... the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named
Nazareth, to a VIRGIN betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph
... and the virgin's name was Mary. And he came to her and said
'Hail full of Grace, the Lord is with you!' ... and he said 'behold, you
will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name
Jesus'... and Mary said 'how can this be since I have no husband' ..
and the angel said to her 'The HOLY SPIRIT will come upon you and
the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the
child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God.' ... and Mary
said 'behold I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be done to me
according to your word.' ... and the angel departed from her.

The next thing you read is Mary is pregnant and she is making
haste to go visit her cousin Elizabeth.

This is from the Gospel of Luke. The information in Luke had to have
come from Mary herself. It is the only way he could have known such
intimate details of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph in the early years. Mary
must have told him. Luke also knows about what Mary 'pondered in
her heart' after the dedication of the baby Jesus in the temple. Only
Mary would know such things. Much of the gospel of Luke must have
been told to Luke by Mary.

[edit on 8/17/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This text explains Mary's relationship to the birth of Jesus as The Saviour, The Christ Child,
as The Son of God or The Son of Man depending on your interpretation, but it does not imply
that Jesus is actually God.

Jesus may have shared God's DNA or divine spirit if you will, but this still does not make Mary
the Mother of God. Mary was the Mother of Jesus with God's blessing.

None of this answers my orginal question asking if God might have an equal female counterpart.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Some say Jesus is God in the Flesh.(meaning Jesus is God himself)
My question is your thoughts about this knowing some of the scriptures I am about to say and list.

John 17 v 1-25 Jesus is praying to God The father and not him self. Many times in the gospels Jesus is found Praying to god and not himself. How do some of you who say Jesus is god answer this?????

Though i cant find this two saying in the gospels i know their there. Jesus says (Why call me good, only god is good). second jesus says (No man nor the son of man knows the timing of christ, only the father knows when christ will come.)

How do some of you believer's answered this???? When Jesus says he does'nt know his coming, but that only God knows.??????

MOst imporant if you read revelations Chapter 4 v2-3 & and read chapter 5 v1 then read v 6-7 What happens is this John go's to heaven in spirit and see's god siting in the throne between 24 elders holding the Scroll Of Seven Seals in his right hand. Jesus comes and takes that scroll right out of God's right hand. SHOWING TWO DIFFERENT BODIES,TWO DIFFERENT BODIES.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
The concept of the holy trinity was first spoken of by Tertullian - a presbyter of the 3rd century Church in Carthage. He was the first to use the term by theorizing that the Son and the Spirit participate in the being of God, but all are of one being of substance with the Father.

The fact that the whole trinity debate is based on a theory that someone came up with in order to tie-up loose ends seems pointless to argue about...neither side will listen to the other. Lets keep on track with the original focus.

note: capitalization of Christian terms such as God and Son are capitalized only to fit context with reference to Tertullian and do not reflect my religious stance.

[edited for dumbass grammer]

[edit on 18-8-2005 by Howard the Dolphin]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   

but it does not imply that Jesus is actually God.

That's where interpretation comes in. In order for a person
to be considered 'christian' it is necessary, at least by the
standards decided by main stream christian churches, that
you DO believe that Christ is God.

Mary was the Mother of Jesus with God's blessing.

Right. Mary was the mother of Jesus. Jesus is God.
Therefore, she is the mother of God.

But if you choose not to believe the mainstream interpretation
that Jesus IS God ... that's fine. We will find out when we are
all dead, right?

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
Some say Jesus is God in the Flesh.(meaning Jesus is God himself)
My question is your thoughts about this knowing some of the scriptures I am about to say and list.

John 17 v 1-25 Jesus is praying to God The father and not him self. Many times in the gospels Jesus is found Praying to god and not himself. How do some of you who say Jesus is god answer this?????

Though i cant find this two saying in the gospels i know their there. Jesus says (Why call me good, only god is good). second jesus says (No man nor the son of man knows the timing of christ, only the father knows when christ will come.)

How do some of you believer's answered this???? When Jesus says he does'nt know his coming, but that only God knows.??????

MOst imporant if you read revelations Chapter 4 v2-3 & and read chapter 5 v1 then read v 6-7 What happens is this John go's to heaven in spirit and see's god siting in the throne between 24 elders holding the Scroll Of Seven Seals in his right hand. Jesus comes and takes that scroll right out of God's right hand. SHOWING TWO DIFFERENT BODIES,TWO DIFFERENT BODIES.

These are all very good questions and points. I especially like your references to what Jesus himself says about his Father. I personally think it would be a mistake to limit God to our physical understanding of body and spirit (especially when we barely understand anything about the spirit at all). Jesus didn't want people to worship him, hence his constant pointing up, however we know he was not "just a man" since he was conceived by the Holy Spirit, performed miracles, taught a lot about first-hand knowledge of God, came back from the dead, and says he and the Father are one. The result then, is that there is a unique relationship that is neither human nor entirely God, but rather him being a part of God. What does that mean?

Best answer is as the apostles describe it from Acts to Revelation. My personal favorite is Paul's version in Corinthians 12:12 "The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ." He even goes into how the this applies to the church, being a part of Christ, just as Christ himself explained during the last supper.

Friends, please do not be discouraged by trying to reconcile our human knowledge of physics, chemistry and biology with the the incredible power of God. We've got a long, long way to go in understanding how He works...hence why He's God and we're confused by a tax form.

Pray, train, study,
God bless.

[edit on 18-8-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   
The point of this thread was not to question your faith necessarily, but to consider what may have been left out of the holy scriptures either deliberately or as a matter of man's general perception of the role of women at that time in history.

With very few exceptions of royalty, women were denied any leadership roles and considered essentially
2nd class citizens.
Those who were permitted an education at all were generally only schooled in certain skills regarded
as appropriate for women to help them care for the men in their lives.

Most of the curriculum in any modern women's schools were limited to produce the good wife, the secretary or the nurse as their generally accepted roles.

It wasn't until 1917-1918 that the women's suffragette movement began to change our perception
of women's equality.
Still today, many cultures have continued to regard women as less than equal to men.

If we consider man's perception of superiority as we read through the holy scriptures,
then we must also consider how that perception may have influenced the content of what was published.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   

The point of this thread was not to question your faith necessarily, but to consider what may have been left out of the holy scriptures either deliberately or as a matter of man's general perception of the role of women at that time in history.

With very few exceptions of royalty, women were denied any leadership roles and considered essentially
2nd class citizens.
Those who were permitted an education at all were generally only schooled in certain skills regarded
as appropriate for women to help them care for the men in their lives.

Most of the curriculum in any modern women's schools were limited to produce the good wife, the secretary or the nurse as their generally accepted roles.

It wasn't until 1917-1918 that the women's suffragette movement began to change our perception
of women's equality.
Still today, many cultures have continued to regard women as less than equal to men.

If we consider man's perception of superiority as we read through the holy scriptures,
then we must also consider how that perception may have influenced the content of what was published.

I don't see where this is 'God's fault'. Genesis shows the "two fleshes will become one" demonstrating equality. Deborah was an Old Testament prophet/priestess. Mary was complimented by God Himself and chosen to raise the Messiah. Jesus lifted up a prostitute from sinner to saint. The list goes on. God doesn't need a gender since He has no need to reproduce. It would be extremely physically limiting for one who is omniscent, omnipotent and omnibenevolent, don't you think?

Pray, train, study,
God bless.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
You say that "He" is or neither gender.

Perhaps we should consider the possibility that "He" may have created the heavens and the earth, but Mother Nature decorated it.

[edit on 18-8-2005 by FallenFromTheTree]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join