It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Saddam Could Be Executed After First Trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
It is possible that Saddam Hussein could be executed after just his first trial of what could be many to come. This fall he will be tried for his involvement in the 1982 massacre of approximately 150 Shiites in Dujail. If sentenced to death after his first trial, it is possible that he could be executed even before his following trials would begin.

news.yahoo.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Saddam Hussein could be executed after his first trial if he is convicted and sentenced to death for his alleged role in a 1982 Shiite massacre, even though he faces other charges, an official close to the proceedings said Thursday.

The first trial, which involves the deposed Iraqi ruler's alleged role in the 1982 massacre of an estimated 150 Shiites in Dujail, north of Baghdad, is expected to begin by the fall, said the official. He briefed reporters on condition that his name would not be used for reasons of security and the sensitivity of the case.

Iraqi authorities also are building about a dozen other cases against Saddam that they intend to try separately. Those cases include the killing of rival politicians over 30 years, the 1987-88 Anfal campaign that left tens of thousands of Kurds dead or displaced and the crushing of a 1991 uprising by Shiites following the Gulf War.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Saddam has been in US custody since his capture in December of 2003. IMO, even if he is sentenced to death after his first trial, he should still be brought up on his other charges. It would be good to have it officially recorded in a court of law, the atrocities that he was found guilty of.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Looking for confirmation on this Yahoo report before voting. Could not find on CNN but must be elswhere..

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Found this being covered here as well.

www.winktv.com...://localhost/APWIREFEED/d8btq3r81.xml

and here

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 11-8-2005 by mpeake]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Does anyone know if there is an appeals process in Iraq? Or is it straight to the gallows after the conviction?

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It's probably a good idea that they have him killed before any of the U.S backed atrocities come out publicly.

That wouldn't look to good.

There is no friend anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Thanks for that. So the old killer may meet his doom sooner than later?, Oh well wonder what's in store for Head Chopper in the nest world or whatever..

Dallas

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
And the downside is??? I think that if he is executed it could go a long way toward increasing the stability in Iraq. There is a certain percentage of the Iraqi population who still believes that Sadam is going to come back to power and punish them for being traitors. Make his execution public, televised and certain. My vote would be for beheading him and then having the body available for public viewing. I don't want to make a freak show event out of it, i just want the Iraqis who still fear him to know that he is truly dead.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I truly feel that his execution would be a symbol that a dictatorship like his is no longer acceptable. Not that we won't have evil rulers in the future (and I can already feel the anti-Bush jokes coming on
), but it sends a message that his actions will not be tolerated anymore.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
They probably will eventually execute Saddam to quiet any hope of a plot to free him,
but personally I would rather see him rot in jail so he can spend the rest of his life reflecting
on what he did to his own people.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I agree with the author that even if he is convicted in the first trial, he should not be executed until the other charges have been dealt with. The full extent of his treachery should be accounted for and recorded in the history books. There could still be others involved that should be jailed right next to Saddam.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The powers that be may not want Saddam's defense team to expose all the dirt that brought him to
power. All his connections, the supply chain, his ties to CIA and the money trail leading right back to the Regan administration Hawks who created this monster.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
They should have done it a lone time ago with a Barrett or a bomb, but that would probably make him more of a martyr to some people.

[edit on 12-8-2005 by warpboost]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What would your views be if a serial criminal was executed after being tried for his first crime? Perhaps the crimes after that, and more importantly the information that he could give about those who aided and abetted him in the crimes would be lost? No?

THINK people. Silence your accomplice and you're home free. Yipee!

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I'd like to see that bum get life in jail and have to come to my house everyweekend to cut my grass and work on the landscaping....

....whew.....I'm in shape and it drives me nutz to work in all that heat............

new topics

top topics

join