It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: St. Patrick's Cathedral Rector Resigns over Sex Scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The rector of St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City, one of the largest Catholic churches in the United States, has resigned after being named as the "other man" in a divorce case based on adultery. Monsignor Eugene Clark was caught on videotape entering a Long Island hotel room with a married woman, and leaving five hours later wearing different clothing. In 2002, this same monsignor blasted American culture for its liberal sexual attitudes.

www.newsday.com
NEW YORK (AP) _ A 79-year-old monsignor named as "the other man" in a Westchester County divorce case resigned Thursday as rector of St. Patrick's Cathedral, the New York archdiocese said.

Cardinal Edward Egan accepted Msgr. Eugene Clark's resignation despite Clark's denials that he has been carrying on an affair with his 46-year-old private secretary, the church said.

"He offered his resignation for the good of Saint Patrick's and the Archdiocese," the statement said. "He will not be celebrating Mass or the sacraments publicly until this matter has been resolved."

Clark was named in divorce papers filed in Family Court in White Plains by Philip DeFilippo, 46, of Eastchester, who claimed that a private investigator taped his wife, Laura, and the monsignor entering and leaving a hotel in Amagansett, on Long Island. The videotape was shown Monday to New York City newspapers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

More sexual scandal rocking the Catholic Church priesthood...I think it's really about time that they seriously revaluate their stance on marriage of priests. At least this time it involves a grown (albeit married) woman, not a young boy.

[edit on 8/11/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

In 2002, this same monsignor blasted American culture for its liberal sexual attitudes.

See, this hypocracy bothers me much more than the fact that a priest was having a little sex. At least it wasn't an underage boy. I see this same hypocracy in almost ALL religious leaders. To put forth this holier than thou attitude means one of two things. It mean that they are either a hypocrite or that they actually buy into their own BS.

I'm not sure which is worse.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
between these types of scandals, the young boys, church employees stealing funds (yup NY papers had a priest on the take recently) it amazes me that anyone takes these guys seriously.

remember to leave some money in the collection plate so Father Shagalot can stay at a nicer place in the hamptons next time.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
well at least he wasn't buggering alter boys....and that's why I thought they called them rectors
...In all seriousness when you repress a person's sexuality to the point of denying it, it always resurfaces somewhere...it is the nature of the beast. Eventually the catholic church is going to have to allow priests to marry or this type of scandal will just keep happening.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Eventually the catholic church is going to have to allow priests to marry or this type of scandal will just keep happening.

Could you please tell me why there is more of this type of sexual scandal happening in all areas of life? More "married" people are involved than priests. How do you explain that? The divorce courts are full of them. Again, I believe there are many of the "alter boy" type scandals in all areas of youth organizations.

I do not condone priests for their unholy behavior. It is worse because they are in a position of trust. These are men who have betrayed themselves and the people who have trusted them.

The hypocrisy quoted in this article does bother me. I am also bothered by the attempted cover-ups of these problems by the Cardinals of the Church who are, again, men we have trusted. These are individual men who have sinned, not the Catholic Church.

This does not change my faith or my trust in the Catholic church.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mahree

Originally posted by grover
Eventually the catholic church is going to have to allow priests to marry or this type of scandal will just keep happening.

Could you please tell me why there is more of this type of sexual scandal happening in all areas of life? More "married" people are involved than priests. How do you explain that? The divorce courts are full of them. Again, I believe there are many of the "alter boy" type scandals in all areas of youth organizations.

I am not aware of this happening in ALL walks of life...in all actuallity I tend to think that there is not one iotas increase in such behaviour (just read old medieval ribbings of priests and monks), it's just that the media, sensing a juicy story makes the most of it...40 or 50 years ago, splaying it all over the headlines would have been considered in bad taste...it still is actually but then we are living in a tacky and tasteless time.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Amazing! You all have this priest judged, found guilty, convicted and condemned based on an accusation. Logically speaking, on the face of it, what would a healthy 46 Y.O. women see in a 79 Y.O. man. Divorce proceedings are notorious for false accustaion, i.e. falsely accusing one or the other spouse of sexual abuse of the children. Now we have merely an accusation and everyone is out for blood. So much for innocent until proven guilty! Why is it when it comes to the Church everyone is willing to forego justice and due process?

Meantime, as for a married priesthood the priests of the recent scandals, proven guilty I might add, are only 3%, repeat 3% of the entire priesthood. The vast majority of priests heroically, and willingly remain faithful to their vows and see the value in giving up a good for a greater good. It is called sacrifice, a concept that the current generation cannot fathom.

Essentially, the priest is the "father" and pastor of his flock. A married priesthood, with a blood family, would lessen and interfere, perhaps even be in conflict with the parish family of a priest. The answer then is not a married priesthood but a return to genuine devotion and a deeper Faith on the part of the clerics and the Faithful.

While scandals have rocked the Church and no doubt will continue to do so the secular world is more than willing to sieze the events as the norm rather than the exception, as evidenced by this groups willingness to hang Fr. Clark even before all the facts are heard and guilt established.

Please refrain from vain and hasty judgements until the proper tribunal, civil and clerical, have firmly established guilt or innocence.

join