It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Truck Carrying Explosives Blows Up in Utah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Salt Lake City; 35,500 pounds of explosives ignited Wednesday after the tractor-trail they where on overturned on Highway 6 in Spanish Fork Canyon.

www.foxnews.com
Truck Carrying Explosives Blows Up in Utah
Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A motorist and a passenger in the truck's cab were among those transported to hospitals immediately after the 1:54 p.m. accident, Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce said.

LDS Hospital spokesman Jess Gomez said two person in critical condition were taken by medical helicopter to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center (search) in Provo.

A third was brought in by ambulance in satisfactory condition. A fourth person was transported by helicopter to University of Utah Hospital, spokesman Chris Nelson said.

The tractor-trailer driver was able to get out of his truck and warn other motorists away from the truck before the explosion. It was not immediately known if the driver was hurt.

The canyon about 60 miles south of Salt Lake City (search) was closed in both directions.

It was unclear how the accident occurred, Royce said. He said the truck was "pretty much vaporized" in the explosion and that that both lanes of the highway had been gutted by the blast.
Link

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well very lucky I would say seeing how this could have been the cause of a great deal of death and injury.

[edit on 11/8/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think it's one of the most amazing stories I've ever read (earlier this morning, in fact). The guy is strapped to 17 metric tons of explosives and this giant bomb goes off, and the guy lives. How's that possible...

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
How'd he know it was going to explode?

Was it smoking? Did it beep? Did he cut the blue wire? Everybody knows you cut the red wire!

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
He didn't know. He lost control of the vehicle, rolled over and kaboom.
Still, the driver lived.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Amazing. 35,000 lbs of explosives would make quite hole. I'm surprised it is legal to haul that much at one time.

For those wondering about the driver...

The tractor-trailer driver was able to get out of his truck and warn other motorists away from the truck before the explosion. It was not immediately known if the driver was hurt.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Maybe a whole shipment of DET cord or a mixture of DET cord and plain old TNT sticks. Being crushed the Nitro in the TNT could become unstable and since I am sure the trailer took a hard side ways smack on the ground its possible that some TNT sticks were crushed and the Nitro somehow leaked out and if it dripped from anykind of height could have produced a chain reaction resulting in the entire load of explosives goind off.

But man 35,000 + lbs (almost 18 tons) is going to be one massive explosion. How far away you figure everyone was went it went off ? 1/4 mile ? Did everyone just stop on the highway (well two lane road) and wait... How many people drove by it before it exploded taking out the entire roadway with it.

The situation seems almost surreal that A they crashed the truck and it did not go off and B that they had ample time to get RESCUED from the truck and move far enough away before it exploded to be hit with only minor shrapnel...

The precussion alone should have been enough to crush their lungs if they were anywhere near close to it.

Must have been just an amazing set of incidents that no one was killed in this "accident".

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Heading to Oklahoma huh? well, I am curious as to who wants to buy that much explosives... probably just a coinky dinky but there is now a story of a guy who just tried to board a plane in OKC with an explosive device. The FBI got him, but

what is wierd, is that Fox national news has the story, but none of the local stations have it, or even the FOX affiliate here...

Is news being censored to prevent worry about terror threats?
OKC airplane bomber 8-11-05

[edit on 11-8-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Found a slide show with pictures of the 80 ft. crater. Just click on the link next to SLIDESHOW.

www.nbcsandiego.com...

Luckily, this happened out in the middle of nowhere.

top topics

join