It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a 'shaped-charge' IED?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
This clip was posted on another forum and was claimed to be a shaped-charge exlposive IED in Iraq, possibly from within the last couple of days.

s12.myhostcenter.com...

Does it look that way to the rest of you?

[edit on 11-8-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
it looks like it, from the way those shrapnel on the right side of the explosion. in anicase they missed. and they decided to leave. wat morons. i expect them to stay and say hi we try to kill u Americans. nice song.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Improvised shaped charges are nothing new unfortunately, the Viet Cong used them occasionally in 'nam, or at least, they had the technology.

It's relatively simple to construct, and the shaped nature increases the effectiveness dramatically.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Yeah they did miss and it makes me think these new IEDs are less effective than the more common ones that they've been using.

They don't have to be right on target to do damage with the regular ones.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
the old IEDs was to explode big and send shrapnel everywhere. wat these insurgents attempts to do is concentrate all the explosion to one direction instead of just goin outward everywhere. the new armor on humvess as well as the use of M113, Strykers, Abrams, Bradleys, etc. it has advantages and disadvantages. u pay for wat u get, all big explosion that goes everywhere but less penetration, or one direction with all the energy but just one direction that would miss. the old IEDs u see the big explosions that consumes a Humvee, but it sometimes doesnt penetrate. back then it could penetrate the soft skin Humvees, but the new armored Humvees makes the insurgents having to deal with tactics.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Not a shaped charge, but a directed blast.

A shaped charged is designed to pierce or cut, not send out a specified blast radius.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Making both Directed blast and Shaped charge IEDs is very easy provided that you have easily morphable explosives (like M-Hexogen for example)
We were trained to make both Claymore type bombs and HEAT charges during my recon training in Finnish Army.
I've been wondering that the insurgents haven't started using these earlier

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Interersting, I doubt it is a shaped charge explosive. It looks more like to me that they've used a few rockets like RPG-7's which have had their rocket motors ignighted when the main charge when off.
Or maybe they had PRG-7 rounds buried in the road to try and get them to detonate on the underside of the Hummer, where there would be a btter chance of damage.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Btw
most RPG-7 grenades built have a shaped charge or twin chaped charge warheads... some have HEs but haven't seen those been used often

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
There's a big difference between standard HEAT-type shaped charges (maximum stand-off range about a metre, but with very deep armor penetration) and an explosively formed penetrator (range of 100m or more, penetration about 1/6th as much)

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join