It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Arrested with IED at Oklahoma airport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reuters.myway.com...

Charles Alfred Dreyling Jr., 24, was detained on Wednesday morning after a security screener using an X-ray machine saw the device in his luggage as he tried to board a flight to Philadelphia at Will Rogers Airport in Oklahoma City.

"Although the investigation is in its initial stages we have found no apparent connection to any type of terrorist activity or group," FBI spokesman Gary Johnson said.

Johnson said the screener saw an "improvised explosive device" in Dreyling's carry-on luggage.

Does anyone feel there is more to this, or it was just a deranged individual. What the hell was this kid doing with a IED in his back pack trying to board a plane?

students.ou.edu...

Does this son of middle America look like a terrorist? He was headed to Philly, so I hope no one else got through any of the other airports and that this is an anomoly.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
That's kind of scary.
He'd probably be in Gitmo by now if he were Muslim, especially when you look at his interests on the site you linked to:

Interests:

* Playing soccer
* Fishing
* Flying airplanes

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
By Crikey!!!

His interests should ring alarm bells. Soccer? The guy is obviously deranged

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that if any other IEDs managed to get through security we'd have found out by know (kaboom in other words) so I think its fairly safe to say this was an isolated incident. On the plus side maybe the proprofiling "granny lover" contingent will finnaly shutup.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It does sound a little strange, i wonder if he will be made an example of, being white, and go out of their way to make it seem that all people, no matter what religion or colour, will be treated the same. I wonder just what the improvised explosive device was though, could have been a firework for all we know so far.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The local coverage on this is making less and less sense. some reports are saying he had already been to St. Louis with the same bags and was now headed off again to Philly - which that's kind of weird...what's he spend his summer airport hopping? Anyway, the point is that if these reports are correct, the devices had already made it through at least one airport without being discovered.

THEN, his family is stating that his hobby is to make pyrotechnics (fireworks) and that these two devices were in fact a couple of fireworks he had made for July 4th and had never removed them from his bag. yeah - that makes sense.

All in all - nothing on this makes sense right now.

[edit on 8-11-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
THEN, his family is stating that his hobby is to make pyrotechnics (fireworks) and that these two devices were in fact a couple of fireworks he had made for July 4th and had never removed them from his bag. yeah - that makes sense.

Actually, if ALL I had heard was that some kid got caught with fireworks in his bags at the airport, that would be the most believable story to me. (And actually, I'm still tending toward this fairly innocuous explanation).

With the state of affairs as they are today and the news so eager to make a big deal out of any little thing, I think perhaps this story just got 'blown' out of proportion. Everyone talking about an 'IED' and possible terrorist connections. Bah! I think everyone's been reading too many conspiracy websites!

He made some fireworks last month and forgot to take one out of his backpack, then used it when he went traveling. I've found some pretty interesting things that I've left in luggage from the last trip.

That's my take, anyway. I feel sorry for the kid.

new topics

top topics

join