It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Directed EMP Pulse to counter IED's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Just been reading a jounalists Blog who is currently in Iraq -

Michael Yon

He tells in detail about an attempted insurgent ambush using a IED set off with a Motorola radio transmitter.

My question is are there any systems/weapons that are man portable or vehicle mounted that can send out a EMP pulse that is very localised and directed, that could knock out the electronics on the radio transmitter?

Spacemunkey

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Maybe a bit tricky to use in field...
if it's even possible
But good old radio jamming should give EOD Engineers enough time to deal with that kind of bombs.
Russians tried using similar IEDs During WW2, the attempt was foiled by playing constant music on the frequencies they used, so that detonation commands didn't get through..

[edit on 11-8-2005 by northwolf]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
EMP...humm maybe, but it would have to be focused. I am sure the Iraqis would love having what little power they have knocked out, just because the US army thought a bag was an IED.

Side note: There is a reason Israel is one of the first to make cell phone jammers.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
www.expressindia.com...

here are some of the methods that the Indian military is doing to deal with IEDs.

and here is wat the U.S. military is using against such devices. the Joint Improvised Explosive Device Neutralizer, pretty weird name.

www.armytimes.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Let's all hope and pray that they get the JIEDN all certified and stuff and into the sandbox. It would be a miracle if JIEDN becomes fully operational. It's what they should have had like 2 years ago! IEDs are like the only thing that the insurgents have enough skill to utilise.

To: NW-oh uh I mean Government,
Please get lots of anti-IED systems such as JIEDN to Iraq ASAP or else you'll have to ban the sale of cell phones and confiscate and destroy all existing cell phones in Iraq

new topics

top topics

join