It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Global Warming Dramatically Evident in Siberia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Thank you everyone, for your replies. This is an important issue, and I'm glad it's generating discussion.

apc, craig
I agree 100%. You took the words right out of my mouth.

I agree that humans are not likely to contribute heavily to the natural process we're witnessing, and I also agree that the planet will survive by bouncing back and forth, just as it always has, regardless of our fate.

One smallish volcano eruption puts the combined emissions of every car on earth to shame, and there are many, many eruptions every year. Now we've also got to worry about the 'downhill' effect. Once you've crested the top of the hill, and started down again, your speed will increase dramatically.

We have to figure out how to survive, at this point. Placing blame is of secondary importance, if it's important at all. Basically, we can't stop the process, we probably can't even slow it down measurably (this buggy has no brakes!), so how do we weather the storm? That's the issue I think should be taking center stage, instead of political agreements and summits on the minutia of acceptable emissions thresholds and whatnot.

What the human race needs more than anything, in my opinion, is a replay, a free ball. We need either permanent space colonies, or a serious commitment to terraforming a nearby planet. If we don't get some folks off this rock, the species WILL, eventually, become extinct one way or another. That's the bottom line, as I see it. What better excuse for long term space habitation than global warming? Do we need a meteor impact or something to convince people this spinning ball of crusted-over molten metal isn't safe for permanent habitation?

Skeptic
Thanks very much.
This place certainly does rock, we're consistently in front of the 8 ball, instead of behind.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join