It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weapons for Citizens?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Are weapons available to citizens in your country?

In the UK:

Shotguns are available to all unless police can show good reason why one shouldn't be held. Semi's with capacity over 2+1 are on Firearms Certs.

Fireams (of any calibre) are allowed but subject to checks and proof of 'good reason' (usually land access)

Semi-autos are allowed only in .22RF - no full auto.

No pistols (except the odd deer hunter), no assault rifles (only 'straight-pull' conversions)

Airguns over 12ft/lb have to be on firearm certificate

Link to London Police firearms team

www.met.police.uk...

I think for a small island the laws are about right.

We don't give guns to kids, crims, loonies etc but if you want to shoot in the UK you can.

Feedback appreciated

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I appreciate you editing out the Anti-American rhetoric that was there earlier

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Same point, just an oblique approach.

Think you mis-read the earlier post my friend. It was anti ill-informed comment - from wherever.

So come on what can you get your hands on, gunwise? and what checks are in place before doing so?

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
When I first moved to the US, I had a stamp in my passport indicating that my application for permanent residency was "pending approval" (more or less).

I didn't have any state ID, though I did have a special "pending" social security number; I lived in Pennsylvania at the time.

But I was able to get - and legally - my permit to carry a concealed weapon (which was good for 5 years).

I occasionally carried, but it wasn't a common thing.

Point being: before I had my green-card/permanent residency, I was able to legally acquire a five-year permit to carry a concealed, loaded .357 (if I so chose).

To buy a weapon, they have in place the generic Instacheck system; this is basically an instantaneous police database check against your social security number. If this passes, you're free to purchase a weapon. The permit to carry takes a little longer, but Pennsylvania is a "will issue" state, meaning they have to issue a permit if they do not have a legal reason to deny the application (criminal activity, mental health issues, etc).

That's about it. Very, very easy.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I took a two day certification class. In which I was required to pass a written test and a physical skills test, submitted my finger prints, applied for and recieved a Concealed Cary Weapons permit. I personally don't feel that I should have been required to do any of these things to exercise my Second Amendment Right as an American citizen.

I always have my Glock 26 with me, except at work. Those who do not know me, will never know it is there.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Here in Virginia we can buy just about anything we like without a permit with the exception of full auto. you need a permit for that. You can carry openly (which I do) but need a permit to carry concealed. You can even hunt with crossbows now.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
well, if you have promision then yes, but not any "big-guns" or anything, just hunting rifles, small shot-guns and hand guns... it's crazy, in America an ordinary human can carry an M-82 without the police interfiering about it...

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Actualy you can get a lisence for .50cal rifles in finland, i've even seen 14.5mm rifle but it's harder to get permits for "very dangerous weapons or ammunition" ie. Full autos, hollowpoint bullets for handguns, artillery pieces
(you need a good reason to get one, and even if you get it you probably won't get permits to fire one)

Carrying concealed needs a special permit. You are not allowed to carry guns openly in public (ie. you have to transport your weapons in a gun bag etc.) exept when you're hunting.

Getting a license for a pocket gun is also hard (weapons like snubnose revolvers, PPK or G26) allso there is a minimal barrel length for rifles (shorter than limit fall into "other weapon" category and permits for those are harder to get)

oh and forgot to add, you need a REASON to get a gun, ie sports or hunting (self defense is usually not accepted)

[edit on 11-8-2005 by northwolf]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
well, if you have promision then yes, but not any "big-guns" or anything, just hunting rifles, small shot-guns and hand guns... it's crazy, in America an ordinary human can carry an M-82 without the police interfiering about it...

I doubt you would get too far lugging an M82 around without having to answer lots of questions. They could probably even hold you until they checked you out under terror suspicions.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
In South Africa anyone can get anyweapon legally without any form of licence required, you just go into the shop buy the weapon, get the ammo and take home in a closed locked carry case, and then you can display it in your home anyway you want, but in most cases, you will end up dead, cause the gansters have killed you for your weapon.
The strongest South African rifle is a .50 and you are able to own it and no-one cares, just as long as you don't kill people it is "cool."
Most own at least three or four firearms per family, and that would include
2 rifles one shotgun and maybe a 9mm.
But the amount of fire arms allowed, unlimited.
There are the semi-auto rifles that most use for hunting and the gool old .22 auto that can be owned without problems.
Most weapons have no restrictions of any kind.

[edit on 11-8-2005 by xina huang]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Xina - a friend of mine just mentioned this to me:

South Africa's Firearms Control Act, which was implemented this month, is intended to curb the carnage through the establishment of a comprehensive and effective system of firearms control and management.

Under the act, all gun owners must reapply for their gun licenses by undergoing a background check and earning a certificate in firearm safety and handling. The law also raised the legal age for gun ownership from 16 to 21.

(From 2004 article here, apparently)

What gives? License or no license? Background check or none?

(Edited for uncaffeination-induced spelling errors)

[edit on 11-8-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I have a question for those of you that carry a concealed. Why? Don't get m wrong I like guns and I really have no problem with people carrying them but it just seems pointless unless you are a Body Guard or a Farmer. It is very limited where you can take them anymore and lets say if someone comes up to you with a knife and you shoot them. Your going to go to Jail. Especially if you fire the thing off in a residential area. I just feel that there is to many limitations to make it worthwhile. Just curious on what some of the reasons where.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN

And, why should they interfere? The police aren't our rulers, and the politicians aren't supposed to be, eitehr.

I live in a country where the ability to keep and bear weapons depends upon where you live. I live in a relatively sane area where there is no law against the citizen owning weapons. Most of us do. WE probably have less firearms crime than most, and a WHOLE lot less than our nation's capital, where the tyrannical restrictions on firarms are the worst.

I own "assault rifles" (no such a breed, but whatever the anti-gunners want to call them), a couple shotguns, a couple handguns and a couple squirrel rifles.

One of my squirrel rifles isn't mine anymore as I've given it to my son. I've taught him how to safely handle and fire a weapon, and have properly passed down the tradition of keeping and bearing arms.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Timcouchfanclub
It is very limited where you can take them anymore and lets say if someone comes up to you with a knife and you shoot them. Your going to go to Jail. Especially if you fire the thing off in a residential area.

Apparently that's not a given; if you're armed, and you can prove that you genuinely thought your life was in jeopardy, you're probably not going to go to jail for defending yourself against an armed attacker.

As for me...honestly? I bought into the hype. I bought into the "You're a woman, you're living in a ghetto suburb of Philadelphia, therefore you're in grave danger and need a weapon" tale that I kept being told.

Turns out I didn't.

So, I stopped carrying.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Firearm restrictions vary within the U.S. For example, in Washington, D.C., it is:

The sale of handguns in the District is prohibited. Carrying a handgun in the District is prohibited. All firearms are to be kept at one`s home or place of business. All firearms must be unloaded and disassembled or locked with a trigger lock except when kept at a registrant`s place of business or while being used for lawful "recreational" purposes. A D.C. license to carry a pistol is needed for one`s home or business and the pistol must also have been registered prior to September 24, 1976.

From www.nraila.org...

However, as muzz pointed out, just a short drive south and firearm laws are not as strict.

Edited to add additional info

[edit on 8/11/2005 by DCFusion]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I have a question for those of you that carry a concealed. Why? Don't get m wrong I like guns and I really have no problem with people carrying them but it just seems pointless unless you are a Body Guard or a Farmer. It is very limited where you can take them anymore and lets say if someone comes up to you with a knife and you shoot them. Your going to go to Jail. Especially if you fire the thing off in a residential area. I just feel that there is to many limitations to make it worthwhile. Just curious on what some of the reasons where.

LOL Not in Georgia. If that situation arises, GA law looks at it like: "Hey don't bring a knife to a gun fight". As far as the location of the incident. Most state laws describe an UNLAWFUL discharge of firearm in a city. If you were LAWFULLY defending yourself, then there is no law broken. Those rules were to stop people from target shooting or celebrating with gun fire.

Also I think you are missing the point. I would venture a guess and say you are not American. I could be wrong, so my apologies if you are. I look at it this way; you ask why. Why do I go to church? Why do I read news from sources that I choose.
Why do I feel free to speak my mind? Because I can!
LOL.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   

. . . lets say if someone comes up to you with a knife and you shoot them. Your going to go to Jail.

To expand a bit on what was already said: Per the normal rules of escalation of force for US LEOs a knife within 21' of you is considered a deadly thread. Basically, someone with a drawn knife can get to you and kill you before they die of the gunshot wounds you could inflict. This is assuming an average person, even, not some doped-up PCP fiend.

Now, that said, the police do have a tendency to pin the initial blame on the person who looks like they were hurt the least. This is beause the attacker, more often than not, wins the fight. Those of us who carry concealed, or who train in self defense, are aware of, and prepared for this fact. Some of us live this way because we were scared by something before, others because they live in an area that makes assults more likely and don't have a viable way to leave, still others are just ornery
. There is a saying, though, that it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   

If someone attacks you with a knife and you use your weapon to kill them, we call that lawful self defence in the US, in the UK you would be going to jail no matter what you used to defend yourself. If anyone can cite a single case where a weapon of any kind was used to kill someone in self defence in that emasculated nation I will concede the point.

Here in Arizona there have been several recent cases of store owners and citizens using handguns to kill attackers, and none of them has gone to jail. The biggest risk is a civil suit, and the smart gun owner takes out insurance with the NRA to protect against this.

I carry - therefore I am.

Molon Labe.

[edit on 11-8-2005 by Winchester Ranger T]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I have no problem with being able to carry a concealed firearm at all, I do have a problem with some people out there carrying though. I think that they should include some type of psyco analysis before issuing a permit. There is an old saying that goes something like "To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail". I think in carrying a weapon certain people almost seek out a situation to use it in

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
To achieve that you would have to have your "pscho-analysis" at the point of purchase, since any fool can carry a weapon illegally.

For the record, statistics have shown that the individuals who apply for, and receive concealed carry permits in the 36 states that allow it, are the most law abiding citizens in any given community.

Concealed permit holders are the good guys and they are variously required to complete compulsary training, fingerprinting, background checks, a written test on firearms law, and a qualification shoot to earn the privilege to carry. They are also very rarely involved in actual shootings, in spite of what the Liberal media wished was the case. Their desire for an out of control unarmed "yob" culture such as that which exists in the UK at the moment is unquenchable.

In the UK, subjects (not citizens) rely on dialing 999 on their mobile so the police can come and collect their body 15 minutes later.

[edit on 11-8-2005 by Winchester Ranger T]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join