It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Art and Freemasonry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Im creating this thread to post some nice art that relates to masonry. Feel free to contribute to this thread by adding more artwork.

Here is a painting by William Blake, ''The ancient of days'', that represents the Great architect of the universe at work, Drawing the world with his mighty compass. Blake is said to be a knight templar,

Here is another one, creation as depicted in the Bible Moralisée, Cod. 2554, fol. Iv, Paris, 1. Hälfte des 13. Jahrhunderts: Gott als Weltenschöpfer

The idea of God as a "Great Architect" predates speculative Freemasonry: here reproduced from the Bible Moralisée, circa 1250.

Ascribed to Guercino, this sketch incorporates the compasses as well as themes in Masonic ritual.

Anderson's Constitutions
Frontispiece
TRACING BOARDS HISTORY ILLUSTRATIONS: FIGURE 4
Explanation of the Frontispiece.
The architectural part represents the inside of Free-masons' Hall.The uppermost figure is Truth, holding a mirror, which reflects its rays on divers ornaments of the Hall, and also on the Globes and other Masonic Furniture and Implements of the Lodge. Truth is attended by the three Theological Virtues, Faith, Hope and Charity: under these, the Genius of Masonry, commissioned by Truth and her Attendants, is descending into the Hall, bearing a lighted Torch; she is decorated with some of the Masonic Emblems, and on her arm hangs a ribbon with a Medal pendant, with which she is to invest the Grand Master, in token of the Divine approbation of a Building sacred to Charity and Benevolence.

I like the symbolism in that one. Snake and Eye image reproduced from The Kneph. Official Journal of the Antient and Primitive Rite of Masonry.

Here are some various nice masonic logos.

LOL, this one must be the square and compass version for the 5 star restaurants chefs who also are masons.

Ill post more artwork soon. Masons and non masons alike, feel free to contribute to this thread!!

[edit on 10-8-2005 by moonchild]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Wow those are beautiful. I never knew Blake was a Mason, I thought he in someway influenced Thelema's later views, I figured with your username that might be why you are fond of his work.

Or maybe thats just the name of the OTO Oasis closest to me.

[edit on 10-8-2005 by Baphomet79]

Cug

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Here are some Masonic tracing boards (Whatever they are) painted by Lady Frieda Harris who was an active co-mason.

The reason I know about her is she also painted the Thoth tarot cards for Crowley.. an example of which you can see in my avatar.

1st Degree tracing board

2nd Degree Tracing Board

3nd Degree Tracing Board

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I own the aleister crowley tarot of thot book and cards, and yes Frieda Harris work is fabulous. Now if only i could master them that would be great.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baphomet79
Wow those are beautiful. I never knew Blake was a Mason, I thought he in someway influenced Thelema's later views, I figured with your username that might be why you are fond of his work.

[edit on 10-8-2005 by Baphomet79]

5 bonus points for knowing what a moonchild is

Cug

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
NO fair! I also know what a moonchild is

Baphomet79,

Yep, William Blake is one of Thelema's Gnostic Saints.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Georges Washinton's Masonic apron

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonchild
LOL, this one must be the square and compass version for the 5 star restaurants chefs who also are masons.

That is actually the symbol used to represent the Fork and Knife degree, and can be seen on many chalices and other tableware of old masonic lodges. Look it up, it's actually quite interesting.

Hint: has to do with a table lodge.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Interesting.

from altreligion.about.com...

his tongue-in-cheek emblem, consisting of crossed knives and forks in the shape of a Masonic square and compass, is used to denote a Table Lodge. A Table Lodge is a traditional annual Masonic gathering- a formal fellowship meal (the meal or table are referred to as the "festive board") that follows strict ritual custom, including a series of seven ceremonial toasts by officers of the Lodge.

The table, linens, and implements of the meal are referred to using masonic and old naval terms (spoons are 'trowels;' glasses are 'cannons,' etc.) The Table Lodges were traditionally held on the Feasts of John the Baptist and John the Evangelist (The Solstices), but that tradition has largely fallen out of practice.

The emblem iFreemasonts sometimes used in a joking manner to refer to a "knife and fork" Mason (one who is said to prefer social events to the harder

spiritual work of the Lodge) and is often prointed on novelty items.

i also found a poem on the subject.

it goes :

I do not attend the meetings
for I've not the time to spare.
But every time they have a feast
you will surely find me there.
I cannot help with the degrees
for I do not know the work.
But I can applaud the speakers,
and handle a knife and fork.
I'm so rusty in the ritual,
it seems like Greek to me.
But practice has made me perfect
in the Knife and Fork Degree.

cute no?

tnx seb, i learned something.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonchild
5 bonus points for knowing what a moonchild is

Darn the bad luck. I have no idea what a moonchild is. Do I get any points for knowing what a moonchild is NOT? Hmmm? 'cause I KNOW that answer. For 11 bonus points I'll tell you...and I'll even give you a hint. His avatar is VERY misleading.

11 points!!!

11 points!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Hey, I used to use that as an avatar! Only the colors were inverted...

Oh and check this out:

mastersjewel.com...

Pretty cool:

*raises hand* Senrak! I know, I know!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
*raises hand* Senrak! I know, I know!!!

LOL!

Extra points for you Axeman!

new topics

top topics