It's a mad, mad, mad, mad and crazy (UK) world!

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Here, in the mad old, bad old world that calls itself the (Dis) United Kingdom, our beloved leaders, the Great Labour Government - sorry the Blair Dictatorship, has decided to bring in tough new laws to combat the rising surge of drunken, loutish behaviour.

The fact that they are introducing a law that enables even the most timid of binge drinkers to indulge their 'habit' all day and all night [if need be], seems to have escaped them!

What crazy laws do you have in your country and why?

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Haha, this Law sums up to me what the Governments plan for drunken yobbery and crime is - if you can't beat them, turn them all into extreme versions of themselves and hope they self destruct.

I think I could forgive almost all of this governments faults at some point, except for their child like naievety when it comes to community level crime and the yobbish, "pub culture" society it's bred but can't control.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
What crazy laws do you have in your country and why?

well, my state (RI) is the home of twisted laws...most of which can be found online.
Two that used to bother me that are now not enforced are;
no liquor stores open on Sunday
no car sales on Sunday

at least now they are up to the owners of the business.
so much for separation of church and state.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
In Trenton, NJ it is illegal to discard any half eaten pickles into the street.

My question is what about whole ones?

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Surely, there must be people out there who want to express their views about rules or laws that effect every day of their working life!

Why can't you be bothered to post. Surely you have something to say.

After all, this is supposed to be a page where you can RANT!

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
In Trenton, NJ it is illegal to discard any half eaten pickles into the street.

My question is what about whole ones?

I feel...violated. I should have every right to discard half-eaten pickles.

How do they measure these pickles? What if it's only 1/4 eaten? Or 2/3?

In Fargo, you'll be pleased to know that:

It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on; and

One may be jailed for wearing a hat while dancing, or even for wearing a hat to a function where dancing is taking place. One has to wonder...if one wears a hat whilst dancing, and then falls asleep with shoes still on...is that begging for a life sentence?!

On a more serious note...

With all the past history of drunkenness leading to criminal activity in the UK, this current law is just...insane. I can't think of a word to describe it, really.

Profit always comes before wellbeing of citizens, apparently

Edit: Wait a sec though. Are they trying to simply regulate what's already happening illegally? If so, I can understand the logic, however misguided it may appear. You know?

[edit on 14-8-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
No Tinkle my friend, that is not what's happening.

Here in the crazy world of New Labour in the good old UK, the politicians are or have been lobbied for years about allowing longer drinking hours.

So the fat cat brewery owners have lobbied and lobbied and from 1st August (I think) 24 hour drinking is allowed - provided your club or pub has applied for and been granted a 24 hour permit.

What the New Labour 'Think Tank' has come up with is that as alcohol invariably produces drunken behaviour, then you must pass more laws to stop drunken behaviour.

Now is that mad and bad or what?

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Human Rights Laws and rules and stuff

Fine there ought to be laws to protect the rights of every human however this law is being abused by so many using it as a cover to sue others with. Why should this one law stop schools having sports day, conker matches being played and kids generally having fun without the body or adults that have legal responsibilty being feared of sued therefore they stop the activity (yes that does not make grammatical sense but I cannot be bothered to change it :p). This is behind all the bureaucracy, red tape and health and safety cases.

top topics

join