It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas Board OKs Evolution Knock by

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Kansas Board OKs Evolution Knock fantasy and myth to take over schools.

It seem that Mr. Bush comments on Aug. 1 did the desirable goal for the pushing of the creation myth as part of the school curriculum at least in Kansas where the debates about Creationism vs Evolution has been heating up.

Not since the Scopes trials of 1925 has been a fight about evolution vs schools systems in this country that will modify the way our children are taught sciences in schools again.

www3.mistral.co.uk...

Now for the delight of creationist all over the nation Kansas fight has come to a decision that will impact the rest of the nation and how science will be taught.

(CBS/AP) The Kansas Board of Education voted 6-4 to include greater criticism of evolution in its school science standards, but it decided to send the standards to an outside academic for review before taking a final vote.

Who should we thank for this decision? Not other that Mr. Bush opinion of how Intelligent design should be part of children education.

This is what we get when “politics get mix with religion”

Kansas has been fighting the teaching of evolution for a long time, the school boards even took from their science books any references to Evolution from their books in 1999. They got ridiculized for that and they later had to reverse it.

The school board and religious rights explain that they are not trying to bring religion in the schools but that they are tying to demonstrate that is more to the natural world that just evolution.

So now we have the “unnatural and magical” to fight the scientific theory of evolution in schools.

I wonder how 4th grades are to take that “Unseen forces may have made the earth and humans” to me this is the “preamble to religious discussion in the schools”

Occurs this statement from Mr. Bush done on Aug 1 may have the desirable effect to start the “reconstruction and challenge” to the Science curriculum and evolution in other states in the nation.

"I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought," Mr. Bush said. "You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes."

``With the president endorsing it, at the very least it makes Americans who have that position more respectable, for lack of a better phrase,'' said Gary Bauer, a Christian conservative leader. ``It's not some backwater view. It's a view held by the majority of Americans.''

Opponents of intelligent design, which a Kansas professor once called ``creationism in a cheap tuxedo,'' say there is no legitimate debate. They see the case increasingly as a political battle that threatens to weaken science teaching in a nation whose students are falling behind.

www.zwire.com...

Bush's comments were ``irresponsible,'' said Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State. He said the president, by suggesting students hear two viewpoints, ``doesn't understand that one is a religious viewpoint and one is a scientific viewpoint.''

Obviously when it comes to division of state and religion Mr. Bush been a born again Christian have not clue of what it means.

www.mercurynews.com...

www.cbsnews.com...

A final vote on the issue will be as early as next month or as later as October or November.

Other ATS related links

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 10-8-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Ah, I can see the kids lining up for the textbooks now:

Adam and Eve: What Darwin didn't want you to know
Flat Earth: Who Need Curves
Fighting Hard Science With Mythology: A Beginners Guide

:shk:

We are seeing the fruits of a concerted campaign by the ultra religious right that becan many years ago. Rebuffed at the polls, a large scale effort has been going on to take over smaller political entitites like scholl boards and the like.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hell the kids will love this, none of them can fail science anymore.

"God did it."

A+++++!!!!

"How does the Theroy of Gravity work?"

"God did it."

A++++++++++++!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser

"God did it."

Actually James, I think they will require a little bit more of an answer than just "God did it."

They will probably use "God holds us to the ground."

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This is indeed a sad moment for our nations school system when our children will forget the "age of reason" and get deep in the fantasy world of the "unseen forces" that did it "all".

The holy spirit will be in high demand.

Science is a field that is constantly open for exploration and experimentation, discoveries to be make and theories to be prove or disprove.

Now is not need for research when all we have to do is credited to God and the holy spirit, ghost, goblins and magic.

I can see the test now.

Children do not need to use their brains anymore.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Well, it's basically going back to what works for the Christian Right (not to mention the Taliban).

The Christian Coalition started off with a great strategy and was quite successful sneaking their candidates onto local school boards. From there, onward and upward!

Nobody likes being put on the wrong side of the "God and Country" issues and the Christian Right has done a masterful job of inventing issues and framing the debates. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Ralph Reed is a genius! I think he's evil and very bad for this country but, hey! what do I know? I'm part of the 48% of this country. And, anything less than 50% means you don't count.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Hell the kids will love this, none of them can fail science anymore.

"God did it."

A+++++!!!!

"God did it."

A++++++++++++!!!!!!

I guess Mr. President might be able to pass his exams on his own now

except his answer might be "God told me".

Seriously though, I can't watch the fallout from this (even though I'm curious to see where else this desicion leads). The school systems are bad enough as it is. Now we are mixing Philosophy with Science. The work could not hold any water in the scientific community because as JTL saids, the answer they have is "God Did it". So they target those who know no better. Rather cowardly and pathetic if you ask me. I have a bad feeling about this road we are starting to walk, and those who are about to grow up on it will be less the wiser.

marg6043
This is indeed a sad moment for our nations school system when our children will forget the "age of reason" and get deep in the fantasy world of the "unseen forces" that did it "all".

Nicely spoken

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The problem with the introduction of religion as is “creationism” in schools is not base on “other creation myth” like Mr. Bush hinted back in August 1 of "other"

But only “Creations or Intelligent design myth" that is found in the Bible.

Nowhere you will find any other accounts of the beginning of the world as in Babylonian, Egyptian, Hindu or Chinese tales, their aim is only the Bible and Christian myth.

When you see the “Creation Research in California” trying to push their “Own version of Biology in class or other Science programs” they had been littler successful.

Evolution is supported by physical evidence, while “Creationist” is supported by believers and the faithful.

When Creationist debate their issue they are not giving any specific physical facts, but rather their debate goes on “Playing the Audience” and winning converts.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
“The Religious Equality Amendment”

Currently, there is a bill in Congress called the Religious Equality Amendment, sponsored by Representative Ernest Istook (R-OK), and heavily supported by the Christian Coalition and Pat Robertson. The text of this proposed amendment to the Constitution is the following: "Nothing in this Constitution shall prohibit acknowledgments of the religious heritage, beliefs, or traditions of the people, or prohibit student-sponsored prayer in public schools. Neither the United States nor any State shall compose any official prayer or compel joining in prayer, or discriminate against religious expression or belief."

www.geocities.com...

This bill is also to target our school system in a way that will render any American even more open minded Christian Americans speechless.

If this bill is taken or even given some thought in the Congress it will be the end of Evolution and the welcome of the establishment of theology as interpreted by fundamentalist “Christians” in our country.

Ours schools will not only be invaded by the “Creation Bible Myth” but also Religion will be incorporated in classes as “Religious heritage, beliefs, or traditions”

Plus we tax payers will be paying to support religion even if your Religious believes are not the ones specified.

Like I said the target is not just to allowed Prayer in schools but the goal, is to bring religion into the school curriculum and re-shape public schools system.

This all will be under the Interpretation of “Religious liberties”

The game played here is bringing the issue that under the First Amendment to the Constitution we are guarantee freedom of religion. But religious rights are making the mistake of only favoring one brand of Christianity over other type of religions just like the teaching of “Creationism or intelligent design” in schools only by the Christian bible.

Now will the invasion of religion in schools will include the impact of Christianity in the world? Like the Crusades, inquisition or Salem Witch trials, how about slavery?

So this Religious Equality Amendment will bring a new historical accounts and interpretations to the schools system about our “Christian Roots” as a nation.

[edit on 11-8-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
“The Religious Equality Amendment”

Currently, there is a bill in Congress called the Religious Equality Amendment, sponsored by Representative Ernest Istook (R-OK), and heavily supported by the Christian Coalition and Pat Robertson. The text of this proposed amendment to the Constitution is the following: "Nothing in this Constitution shall prohibit acknowledgments of the religious heritage, beliefs, or traditions of the people, or prohibit student-sponsored prayer in public schools. Neither the United States nor any State shall compose any official prayer or compel joining in prayer, or discriminate against religious expression or belief."

www.geocities.com...

Frivolous authoritarian Dominionist legislators obviously hate our Constitution and the freedoms it provides.

Get your money into the ACLU people and hope the SCOTUS isn't packed with braindead Xtian revisionists when this comes up for judicial review.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Actually until recently as early as the 80’s the issue of separation of church and state was always taken care by the rulings of the Supreme Court, then it was made an issue again with a book called “The Myth Of Separation” by a man name David Barton.

He also has a documentary “America’s Godly Herritage” this man lies, deceptions and his reconstruction and rewriting of history views has been used as the credo of fundamentalist movements, creationist and even the Republican Party.

He may not be in the news but this man is the one that has made an issue the so call “Separation of State and Religion” His challenge to “Thomas Jefferson’s Wall of Separation” doesn’t exist.

Just like creationist questioning science and evolution this man purpose is to challenge the state of mind of our founding fathers.

If you see around a lot of people has not clue of when the issue of how much religion was to be involve in our state and government affairs started.

Occurs Pat Robertson and his Christian Coalition has used the materials from Mr. Barton views to fight for their cause.

You know what is sad born again Christians, the faithful and the believers are buying into it.

Even claiming that most or our founding fathers were “"orthodox, evangelical Christians." When historical the evangelican movement was not started until the 19th century.

And this is what fundamentalist and religious right wants in our schools.

members.tripod.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Hey can I go to college in Kansas? I will be Validvictorian(sp?) when I graduate.

2+2= God Did IT!

Read Chapter 4 of The Testament. What is the name of the new character?
God Did It!

How do flowers spread? God Did It!

10 page Essay by Tuesday. God Did It/copy paste until I have 10 pages.

I swear all you other kids are really staring to fall behind, why can't you be more like JTL? He is such a good kid always gets A's, in fact let's all worship him right now.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

2+2= God Did IT!

Read Chapter 4 of The Testament. What is the name of the new character?
God Did It!

How do flowers spread? God Did It!

10 page Essay by Tuesday. God Did It/copy paste until I have 10 pages.

James, they will want more then just "God Did It!" for answers...

I will probably be more like this...

2+2=God

Read Chapter 4 of The Testament. What is the name of the new character? Doesn't matter what his name is! All that matters is its about God!

How do flowers spread? God duplicates them and puts them in new places.

10 page Essay by Tuesday. God said I don't have to do it.

Now its time for our 5x daily bowing to his might.

[edit on 8/11/2005 by hatchedcross]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
LOL.

There'll be new excuses at school:

Teacher: where is your homework?
Pupil: God ate it

or

Teacher: You appear to have copied this entire essay from the internet
Pupil: No, it is God's word - I was divinely inspired.

And if you are going to bring God into school then Satan can't be too far behind:

Teacher: Who discovered the theory of evolution?
Pupil: SATAN!

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
my feeling on this
is there a will to create a new breed of christian "warriors" to counter the islamic fundamentalism ?
a will to fuel the already growing opposition between north and south, poor and rich , and by that solving economical problems, overpopulation and give the militaro-industrial complex and the opec even more power and money ?
what would be the next step after taking control, drop relations with europe and south america because they are catholics and hence not "true" christians ?
the word scared might be a bit strong but i am definitely very concerned by what has been happeining in the US since a few years

may we all be forever touched by His noodly appendage
behold his noodlyness

new topics

top topics

join