It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am melting!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2002 @ 01:52 AM
link   
www.worldnetdaily.com...
Today is Constitution Day. How will you celebrate? Did you even know?

On Sept. 17, 1787, the Constitutional Convention, meeting in Philadelphia for four months, agreed on the final draft of this special, inspired document and submitted to the several states for ratification. It was ratified June 21, 1788, when New Hampshire approved it as the ninth state. Congress, acting under the Articles of Confederation, declared the Constitution the law of the land March 4, 1789.

By general assent and resolution of the Congress, Sept. 17 has been designated as Constitution Day ever since � designated, but not necessarily acknowledged or observed.

We celebrate many holidays in America today � Independence Day, presidential birthdays, Veterans Day, Memorial Day. Yet, no one even acknowledges Constitution Day anymore. That's tragic.

America has forgotten the two concepts that made her special as a nation � two unique factors that set her apart from the world from the start.

First, the Founding Fathers wrote a Constitution that strictly limited the role of the federal government in the lives of Americans. The idea that Washington had some role in education, redistribution of wealth, setting minimum wage requirements, nationalizing millions of acres of land, taxing income and subsidizing government-approved artists would have been anathema to the men who fought so valiantly for freedom against an over-reaching foreign tyranny.

Secondly, the framers of that Constitution spoke eloquently about the fact that only a moral people � a nation of Godly people with common spiritual and social values � were capable of self-government. They could not have envisioned the depths of depravity, licentiousness and vice to which our society has fallen � yet they warned about it.

Our current debates about social and government policy seem disconnected from these two critical foundations of the American republic. Politicians will never solve the problems facing the country without acknowledging these two essential precepts. In fact, I'll go further. Politicians will never solve our problems. Period. The more government tries to do, the worse things get.

And that's the beauty of the Constitution. It strictly limits what government can do. The trouble is that Americans have forgotten this. They've been dumbed down by government schools and a government-media complex to believe that Uncle Sam is there to solve all their problems � from how much they get paid, to what they spend on health care, to how they should raise their own children.

We honor the flag in America, but not the Constitution. The flag is a mere symbol. The Constitution is the real thing. We should revere it, and, more importantly, live under it.

While the Constitution is every bit as symbolic as the flag, it is also literally a substantive guidepost to maintaining � or now, perhaps, to recovering � America's freedom. But it can only serve that function if we as a nation abide by it, pay heed to it, live by its code and its spirit.

Which symbol is really worth dying for? The flag is not my pick. After all, it is just a symbol. Symbols, of course, are important. But the Constitution is more. It is both symbol and substance. And its substance is being desecrated by some of those so piously concerned about the symbolic desecration of the flag.

A Portrait of America survey found that less than half of American adults would vote for the Constitution if it were on the ballot today. To that, I say, thank God there is no requirement for a referendum on the Constitution. A more recent poll showed close to half of Americans don't believe in the basic First Amendment guarantees of freedom of speech, assembly, religion and the press.

So, there you see it. The Constitution is being desecrated before our eyes. Here in one document are the guiding principles of our nation succinctly and clearly stated. The Constitution, coupled with the Declaration of Independence, represents more of a national creed than a simple founding document for the nation.

But skeptics are winning the day. Not even the Constitution holds us together as a people any longer. Maybe, instead of reciting the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag in school everyday, that time could be better spent reading the Constitution.

And maybe that would be the best way to celebrate Constitution Day.

[Edited on 17-9-2002 by Constitution]

posted on Sep, 17 2002 @ 06:18 PM
link   
i dont give a airborne fornication about constitution day,
[SIZE=20]ITS MY BIRTHDAY!!!!![/SIZE]

[Edited on 18-9-2002 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Sep, 17 2002 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Happy birthday, you foul-mouthed dirtbag. Yes, I edited two words in your sentence, yet it says the same thing. See how one could at least be creative when being a dirtbag?

BTW, Constitution is not my alter-ego, have another mod compare isp's if you doubt me. It's nice to see another human being in this country that has cracked a book! Hope you stick around, "C".

Seriously, Happy Birthday!

[Edited on 18-9-2002 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Sep, 18 2002 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Happy Birthday to us all necro99! Too bad it's over, at least you probably got more recognition.

Thank you Thomas.
Maybe we could celebrate just a little bit with my favorite song. Like to hear it, here it goes-

Hey, do you know about the U.S.A.?
Do you know about the government?
Can you tell me 'bout the Constitution?
Hey, learn about the U.S.A.

In 1787, I'm told,
Our founding fathers did agree,
To write a list of principles
For keepin' people free.
The U.S.A. was just starting out,
A bold, brand new country.
And so our people spelled it out:
The things that we should be.

We the people,
In order to form a more perfect union,
Establish justice,
Ensure domestic tranquility,
Provide for the common defense,
Promote the general welfare and
Secure the blessings of liberty
To ourselves and our posterity,
Do ordain and establish this Constitution,
For the United States of America.

In 1787, I'm told,
Our founding fathers all sat down
And wrote a list of principles
That's know the world around.
The U.S.A. was just starting out,
A bold, brand new country.
And so our people spelled it out,
They wanted a land of liberty.

We the people,
In order to form a more perfect union,
Establish justice,
Ensure domestic tranquility,
Provide for the common defense,
Promote the general welfare and
Secure the blessings of liberty
To ourselves and our posterity,
Do ordain and establish this Constitution,

courtesy of my pals at school house ROCK!

posted on Oct, 14 2002 @ 09:13 PM
link   
frankly i dont give 2 damns about constitution day. happy birthday necro99.

[Edited on 10-15-2002 by GhostMan]

posted on Oct, 15 2002 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Hey Constitution! I hope you don't think *everybody* has forgotten about our country's first officially-drafted guidelines...Check out xmb.abovetopsecret.com... and take notice that it predates *your* thread here.

However, it's sad to point out, that since I've started the other thread, I've had no useful replies from it yet. Everybody seems to think it's a good idea but no one actually seems to be helping it get along & collect names...I haven't gotten any lists of signatures yet.

So it seems that your first impression of the citizens' concern over our current form of government is right on track...But doesn't include *everybody*.

new topics

top topics

join