It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Microsoft Wins $7,000,000 Lawsuit Against 'Spammer'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Bill Gates' US software giant Microsoft has won a $7,000,000 lawsuit against a buisness man considered to be one of the worlds biggest senders of 'spam e-mails'. Scott Richter agreed to pay the sum after Microsoft filed a lawsuit against his internet firm Opt In Real Big.

news.bbc.co.uk
Microsoft alleged Opt In Real Big had sent millions of unsolicited commercial e-mails, using forged sender names and false subject lines.

Microsoft had estimated that Mr Richter's business was sending 38 million spam messages a year.

The software giant said the court settlement was a major step in its battle against spam e-mails, which are notorious for clogging up e-mail inboxes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is this the beginning of the end for spam e-mails...i hope so!

Its so annoying to log on and find 143 and a half e-mails, 95% of them being spam.

I hope other companies that send these e-mails take notice and at least cut down on the amount rubbish that they send us!

[edit on 10/8/2005 by MickeyDee]

[edit on 10/8/2005 by MickeyDee]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
So why are they getting the money. This settlement should be shared with anyone getting spam.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I hate spam as much as the next guy (unless were talking about the beautiful tinned ham spam, mmmmm).

But I've never had that much of a problem with it. Admitedley, I don't rely on my inbox for much, but I check it once a day and it's never much hassle to delete the four or five that announce "VIGRAGRA FORB FREEZ YOU LIKE?" or "*GY$ in the Happy Wahles Turnip Factory", and I certainly never get "tricked" by them. In fact, one spam was so badly written in a "wes mustle harve yo Bacraylay Card munber pleze" style that I was in stitches for minutes, it was wonderful.

I agree that Spam should be stopped as it can disrupt businesses and whatnot, but $7 million dollars? Isn't that a bit extravegant to be throwing about, in light of the crises of our times? (no republican "hippy" abuse, please)

[edit on 10-8-2005 by chebob]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
It probably has to do with it clogging up server space or something. Most people's inboxes wouldn't require the amount of space and memory, I wonder how much it took for them to save each of those 38 million message even one day each! Then think of the people who check their mail once a month...
Not that I think it's totally fair, but their case probably made a point of it costing them to improve systems.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

So why are they getting the money. This settlement should be shared with anyone getting spam.

Microsoft are getting the money to (hopefully) use towards combating the overall problem of spam!

Mic

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Are you implying that Bill "Ionaire" Gates couldn't pull 7 million pounds of his own stash from behind a plant pot or picture frame to fund such a project? I'd probably disagree.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Are you implying that Bill "Ionaire" Gates couldn't pull 7 million pounds of his own stash from behind a plant pot or picture frame to fund such a project? I'd probably disagree.

That would be defeating the whole object though.....

This 'spammer' has been used as an example to every company that sends spam!

Maybe now people will think twice about sending stoopid junk e-mails!

Mic

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I know what your saying, but wouldn't the same effect be had with 3.5 million? or 1.25 million? A billionaire taking 7 million from someone just seems.......inherently wrong.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I know what your saying, but wouldn't the same effect be had with 3.5 million? or 1.25 million? A billionaire taking 7 million from someone just seems.......inherently wrong.

But we dont know how much this man has made from spamming!!!

This man could have made a fortune through these e-mails!

Mic

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Microsoft and AOL are having contests and the prizes are assests they won in law suits against spammers!!!!! Microsoft is giving away a 2003 hummer. That kicks butt.

That's a conspiracy. Build crappy products that make it easy for spammers, then sue them, take all the spammers assets in a settlement, give them away in a contest, make it look like you are "combating" spam. Brilliant!!!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
108 views and 1 'no' vote...

By my counting that should be 107 'yes' votes!

But no.....nobody voting again!

Mic

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
There's a difference between Gates' net worth (mostly in the market) and the money used to fight a cause. Bill Gates isn't Microsoft, and Microsoft isn't Bill Gates; the two don't share an account.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
For once I'm rooting for Microsoft. I'm pretty happy that they're using their massive influence to help out the average consumer for once. Truely a rare case in the corporate world.

Maybe, just maybe this'll give the rest of us a chance to fight spam. Hmm.... but does this make anyone think we may see this in the near future?;

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   

using forged sender names and false subject lines

I bet their suing for using Microsoft on some of the spam subject lines or addresses. Either that or Microsoft owns the Internet.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Well considering how many people use Internet Explorer, along with Windows users, Microsoft practicaly does own the internet. Maybe not legally but we all know Microsoft runs the net behind the scenes.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Oh look.....

168 views, 15 replies, 2 'no' votes and no 'up or down' yet!

Arrrggggghhhhhhhhh!

Mic

join