It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AK-monkey-pumper smack-down

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
A story by Michael Yon about life in Mosul. This snippet is part of a larger story, but I found it interesting by itself. The ingenuity of the soldiers fighting in Iraq is impressive. The lessons learned will affect urban warfare forever.

This article talks about a staged IED attack by the “Duece4” in Mosul to smoke out insurgents and terrorists.

Smack Down

“…The Yarmuk traffic circle is fantastically dangerous. On the first mission I ran in Mosul, we lost two soldiers and an interpreter, all killed by a car bomb. Others were horribly burned, scarred for life. Many of our wounded and killed soldiers got it right here, or in the immediate vicinity. The ISF takes serious losses in this part of town. But it's not entirely one-sided-- the Deuce Four has killed well over 150 terrorists in this neighborhood in the past 10 months. But almost none of those made the news, and those that did had a few key details missing.

Like the time when some ISF were driving and got blasted by an IED, causing numerous casualties and preventing them from recovering the vehicle. The terrorists came out and did their rifle-pumping-in-the-air thing, shooting AKs, dancing around like monkeys. Videos went ‘round the world, making it appear the terrorists were running Mosul, which was pretty much what was being reported at the time.

But that wasn't the whole story. In the Yarmuk neighborhood, only terrorists openly carry AK-47s. The lawyers call this Hostile Intent. The soldiers call this Dead Man Walking.

Deuce Four is an overwhelmingly aggressive and effective unit, and they believe the best defense is a dead enemy. They are constantly thinking up innovative, unique, and effective ways to kill or capture the enemy; proactive not reactive. They planned an operation with snipers, making it appear that an ISF vehicle had been attacked, complete with explosives and flash-bang grenades to simulate the IED. The simulated casualty evacuation of sand dummies completed the ruse.

The Deuce Four soldiers left quickly with the "casualties," "abandoning" the burning truck in the traffic circle. The enemy took the bait. Terrorists came out and started with the AK-rifle-monkey-pump, shooting into the truck, their own video crews capturing the moment of glory. That's when the American snipers opened fire and killed everybody with a weapon. Until now, only insiders knew about the AK-monkey-pumpers smack-down…”

Read the whole thing.

Michael Yon should be required reading for every person who posts in this forum, no question about it. I check this blog every day before I check anything else, and I monitor about 20 sites, this guy is there on the scene seeing it first hand.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Yeah, good find

I'll be adding the address to my favourites

Spacemunkey

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
It’s about time we started to hear about some of the brilliant tactics our commanders and soldiers are using to beat these scumbags. I could read this stuff all day long, but unfortunately this type of thing doesn’t sell newspapers or ad space so the mainstream media stays away from it.

I’m thinking the US should start beheading a few of these knuckleheads on Iraqi TV once and awhile to set a precedent. You read the entire article? They aren’t afraid of being caught because they have it better in prison, and they get released after just a few days. They actually WANT the Americans to catch them.

I think the US soldiers should stop CATCHING as many of them if you know what I mean. I also think we should be able to turn them over to the ISF so they get treated the way they deserve...

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Good find, Skippy. This gets bookmarked.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Since you mentioned Michael Yon in your previous posts, I went ahead and bookmarked it and I now read it daily.

This guy is is on the ground with our soldiers and his insights give a more accurate picture of whats really happening in Mosul.

Its a damn good trick.....an old American truck gets blown up and abandoned, when the Terrorists show up to shoot their Ak's in the air....they get blown away.

Maximu§

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

The most serious terrorists do not fear prison here. Captain Jeff VanAntwerp, who commands Alpha Company, recently told me that Iraqis joke among themselves that they would pay 5,000 Dinar per night to stay at Abu Ghraib prison. It's air conditioned, the showers are good, the food is good, and the water is good. The mother seemed to know this and it curled in contempt behind her smile.

From the same page.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Great post. We could save alot of money and manpower if we just use a TAKE NO PRISONERS policy.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
very ingenius... props to the good guys...
another good read: author of accidental soldier
He is an author and a soldier... he was one of the soldiers you hear about that had to scrounge in the iraqi dumps to get armor plate, and equipment...
as well as many other creative methods of surviving...

it really puts you on the scene... If anyone really wants to know what our guys are going thru over there, it is the perfect book..

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Yes Ofcourse this Michael Yon is an "Independant" Journalist...

Why is he basicly "Embedded" with the US Forces in Iraq?

If he's independant, he should go around Alone.

And the fact that he is an EX US Army Solider, does NOT add to his Agenda as being "Independant" at all!

In 1982, one month after graduating from high school, Florida native Mike Yon joined the Army to earn tuition money for college. At that time, President Reagan had begun channeling massive amounts of funds into Special Operations units such as the Navy SEALS, Army Rangers, and Special Forces in response to the calamitous failure of a U.S. Special Ops attempt to rescue American hostages in Iran. For a brief time, writes Yon, "the Army allowed kids straight out of their initial military training to try out for Special Forces"--and Yon jumped at the chance. By July of 1983, at the remarkable age of 19, Yon had survived rounds of grueling training and graduated into the Green Berets. One day later, a bizarre encounter in a Maryland bar landed Yon in jail, accused of murdering a fellow patron with his bare hands.

www.amazon.com...

I don't buy this stuff he is selling - it's as if this guy is Writing yet ANOTHER Fictional Novel and not Reporting from the Battlefield.

Not to mention that for an Ex-Army Person, he could be on their paylist, just to write this "Reports".

[edit on 11/8/05 by Souljah]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Of course YOU don’t buy it Souljah, he reports information that goes against your agenda, why would you believe it?

And as far as him being embedded with the troops, that’s 1 billion times better than being "embedded" in a hotel deep in the green zone like your sources....(also protected by US forces I may add)

Almost forgot: Nearly ALL of the "reporters" tucked away in the green zone pay local IRAQI sources to retrieve news and photo's for them. No, thats not biased...

Ill take a story from Micheal Yon as gospel before any other source out there. Embedded or not.

[edit on 11-8-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
"The insurgents left quickly with the "hostages," "abandoning" the burning truck in the traffic circle. The enemy took the bait. Coalition Troops came out and started with the removal of the truck from the street, their own embedded press capturing the moment of glory. That's when the Iraqi snipers opened fire and killed everybody with a uniform. Until now, only insiders knew about the insurgents smack-down…"

Those terrorist bastards and their weak pathetic ambush tatics etc etc.

It's really amazing to read these types of posts when you have no elegence to either side in a battle when you know either way the coin falls, everyone has lost. Makes it easier to see humans as one species rather than different groups seperated by invisable borders, they call that empathy.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheShroudOfMemphis
It's really amazing to read these types of posts when you have no elegence to either side in a battle when you know either way the coin falls, everyone has lost. Makes it easier to see humans as one species rather than different groups seperated by invisable borders, they call that empathy.

OMG!! That’s it! You have nailed it, how have I missed this all these years? Does the President know this? All the world leaders? Memphis, you are a genius to think of this before anybody else in all of human history!!

"Makes it easier to see humans as one species rather than different groups separated by invisible borders, they call that empathy”

That’s brilliant! Can I use that word Memphis? "Empathy"? Or did you invent that?

We need to get on the phone and start spreading the word, we can change the world!! Hurry Hurry!

REVELATION!!! World peace is possible; Memphis the prophet has shown us the light!!

Come on now. But that’s not how real life works Memphis. The USA didn’t invent war or terrorism, but we are in a war and fighting it using whatever methods available to get results. Want to talk to me about peace and empathy? Too late, maybe you should have talked to Mohammad Atta about empathy on 9/10 2001.

Want to preach? Then get yourself a soap box and preach, but I have a feeling nothing you have will be new to any of us...In the mean time, the USA will be spreading its own kind of "empathy" to its enemies.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
The USA didn’t invent war or terrorism, but we are in a war and fighting it using whatever methods available to get results.

Who DID then?

The Iraqi People?

The People of Afganistan?

The War on terrorism or War on terror (in US foreign policy circles, the global war on terrorism or GWOT1 ) was the term originally used by the United States government and its principal allies in its an ongoing campaign to destroy individuals and groups deemed to be "terrorist" and "terrorist-supporting" states and organizations—with a de facto focus on stopping Islamist terrorism committed by radical Islamist groups such as al-Qaeda. Unlike earlier concepts and definitions of war —with defined nations, boundaries, and standing armies and navies—the War on Terrorism has largely been dominated by the use of special forces, intelligence, police and diplomatic forces, to intercept, arrest or kill would-be terrorist attackers.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 11/8/05 by Souljah]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
here we go again..another hi-jacked thread

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Who DID then?

The Iraqi People?

The USA is barely 300 years old. Islamic extremism is 1400 years old. Iraqi war a bad target against terrorism or not, the USA didnt start the terror or invent war.

But there is a side "benifit" to the fighting in Iraq: Other terrorists who want to fight Americans are flocking to Iraq in the hopes of killing Americans. And of course, the Americans are more than happy to help them on their way to meet their 72 ho's.

[edit on 11-8-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

The USA didn’t invent war or terrorism, but we are in a war and fighting it using whatever methods available to get results.

Who DID then?

Uh, yeah souljah what rock were you hiding under on 9/11? I guess we must delve into a history lesson for souljah. The Taliban in afghanistan supported osama bin laden who' organization trained the terrorists to fly the planes into the world trade center buildings. And no it wasnt the CIA or Mossad or freakin KGB! IT WAS TERRORISTS FROM AFGHANISTAN!

[edit on 11-8-2005 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheShroudOfMemphis

OMG!! That’s it! You have nailed it, how have I missed this all these years? Does the President know this? All the world leaders? Memphis, you are a genius to think of this before anybody else in all of human history!!

"Makes it easier to see humans as one species rather than different groups separated by invisible borders, they call that empathy”

That’s brilliant! Can I use that word Memphis? "Empathy"? Or did you invent that?

We need to get on the phone and start spreading the word, we can change the world!! Hurry Hurry!

REVELATION!!! World peace is possible; Memphis the prophet has shown us the light!!

Come on now. But that’s not how real life works Memphis. The USA didn’t invent war or terrorism, but we are in a war and fighting it using whatever methods available to get results. Want to talk to me about peace and empathy? Too late, maybe you should have talked to Mohammad Atta about empathy on 9/10 2001.

Want to preach? Then get yourself a soap box and preach, but I have a feeling nothing you have will be new to any of us...In the mean time, the USA will be spreading its own kind of "empathy" to its enemies.

The above message was brought to you by the FDA.
Because Narcissistic Personality Disorder can be treated.

See a doctor Skippy.

As for your classic line:
Want to talk to me about peace and empathy? Too late, maybe you should have talked to Mohammad Atta about empathy on 9/10 2001.

Well actually, that's not who i would talk to at all, thou why it is up to me and not YOUR government is an odd question you pose.

Here's some reading for you to ignore:
www.globalresearch.ca...
www.globalresearch.ca...

external image

Thanks for the calm, rational reply.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Michael Yon will be doing a radio interview this evening, 8/14, beginning at 9PM EST, on WRKO 680AM out of Boston. The interview will also be streamed at www.wrko.com...

This I got from his website, michaelyon.blogspot.com...

It should be an interesting listen.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Thanks J, Im all over that, being 20 miles from the station helps too

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

Who DID then?

Uh, yeah souljah what rock were you hiding under on 9/11? I guess we must delve into a history lesson for souljah. The Taliban in afghanistan supported osama bin laden who' organization trained the terrorists to fly the planes into the world trade center buildings. And no it wasnt the CIA or Mossad or freakin KGB! IT WAS TERRORISTS FROM AFGHANISTAN!

Xphilesphan: You're entitled to your own opinion on who did what, but this is all about semantics right now.

The USA is barely 300 years old. Islamic extremism is 1400 years old. Iraqi war a bad target against terrorism or not, the USA didnt start the terror or invent war.

skippy: Now lets look at 'ice cream.' Did whoever thought up ice cream invent 'ice' AND 'cream' ... no. Similarly we can't look at "the war on terrorism" as 'war' and 'terrorism.'

"The War on Terrorism" was started by the U.S. when Bush started calling it "the war on terror."

Back to the topic on hand...although his background is a bit suspect it shouldn't discredit him entirely. Taking ANY one journalist's words as truth is ignorant since every journalist is flawed with singular perspective. Hopefully his radio interview will be interesting.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join