It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-INDIVIDUALS: Ohio Sniper Pleads Guilty to Inv. Manslaughter, gets 27 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
After dropping his insanity plea the day before, admitted Ohio sniper Charles McCoy, Jr. plead guilty to involuntary manslaughter and other counts in what looks like a deal to avoid another death penalty trial. The first one ended in a mistrial, with insanity and death penalty issues dividing the jury.

www.cbsnews.com
(AP) A mentally ill man pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and 10 other charges Tuesday in a series of Ohio highway shootings and was sentenced to 27 years in prison.

Charles McCoy Jr., 29, had admitted firing the shots over five months in 2003 and 2004 but pleaded innocent by reason of insanity to murder and 23 other counts. His death penalty trial ended in a mistrial.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is an example of the way our legal system works, or doesn't. I would have an easier time with this scenario if McCoy, Jr. were assessed a fine for his crimes covering the cost of his incarceration and care for the next 27 years, and worked it off building sound and bullet-proof walls along Ohio highways to insulate good citizens and protect innocent motorists from whacko nutjobs like him. That would make more sense than caring for him and treating his illness at taxpayer expense for most of the next three decades because he went crazy and shot at cars and killed an innocent lady.

[edit on 10-8-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Working off his sentence? I'd bet our pals at the ACLU would have something to say about that.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
He should have gotten the death penalty for his crimes. insanity :shk: He will be out in 27 years, less if he behaves himself. What a joke

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I think he should have been institutionalized in a mental hospital for the rest of his life, not sent to prison and certainly not executed. In this case, the man had a long history of mental illness, and I think the system let him and the community down by not dealing with it properly. This isn't a case of someone claiming insanity out of nowhere to try to get off...

(wow, I think I just sounded kind of like a liberal
)

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Call it 'victim restitution', not 'working off his sentence'. I thought the ACLU was all about fairness under the Constitution, whats unfair about working to pay restitution?

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
First of all, knowing the people that went to high school with him, he had an accident where he ended up mentally ill. We judge but we don't know the entire story. (I am not excusing his behavior just confirming he was insane BEFORE he shot cars and one person to death) His own family turned him in.

Second, what SANE person would do that? Unless you have emotional detachment disorder it is logical to conclude that one would have to be insane to commit the acts of shooting randomly at cars with people in them. Of course, I am not an expert in this but from my perspective I do see it that way.

Third, it is unconstitutional to execute an insane person.

Fourth topic mentioned in the responses to this piece of news. I wanna know who the heck decided that liberal was a bad word? It is derived from the word liberty which is personal freedom from servitude or confinement or oppression. Guess some like to be told how to run their lives.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Involuntary Manslaughter?? What, he was pointing the gun at people, and it just miraculously went off all by itself? What a joke.

top topics

join