It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Illegal immigrants have no right to sue!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
A Federal Appeals Court has refused to stop an Arizona law that will deny some public benefits to illegal immigrants.
The law will deny illegal immigrants the ability to collect such benefits as Food Stamps and Welfare. The Law will also require that voters will have to show proof of citizenship before being allowed to vote.

www.cnn.com
PHOENIX, Arizona (AP) -- A federal appeals court refused Tuesday to block part of an Arizona law that denies some public benefits to illegal immigrants, saying the plaintiffs had no right to sue.

The voter-approved law appeared on Arizona's November election ballot. The portion at issue bars illegal immigrants from getting certain public benefits and makes it a crime for public employees to fail to report undocumented immigrants who seek the benefits.

A separate provision, unaffected by the court challenge, requires people to show proof of citizenship when registering to vote.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a huge blow to such organizations as LULAC as well as The Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund who have, and still do campaign that illegal immigrants not only should have the same rights as American citizens but that they should also be given special treatment. An attempts to stem the influx of illegal border crossings have all been named as racial prejudism.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...'
(submission) Border patrol agent charged with smuggling illegal immigrants!
(submission) (news) Banking on illegal immigrants

[edit on 10-8-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Its a question of resources. Can we already take care of the people already in the country? Not really. Compund this with a huge influx in and it spells long term trouble.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
FredT,
You are correct our resources have been stetched to the breaking point.
such things as our taxes, medical and auto insurance are just a couple of the things that directly impact the american citizen. Then you bring into the forefront the issues of identity theft that is running rampant today. The recent roundup of M-13 gang members in 27 US cities throughout the US and you can start to realize just how big a problem this invasion is.
I call it an invasion since there is no other word to describe the sheer numbers that enter the US illegaly every year. It has been estimated that in excess of 1.5 million people enter the US illegaly every year.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
``

...The federal appeals court refused Tuesday to block
part of an Arizona law...saying the plaintiffs had no right to sue

Good Show!

but at the very least- Their complaints should be heard.
perhaps by adding their names to a class-action suit.

Instead of the charade of justice which individual suits result in,
as the accused are not deported and remain in the sanctuary
of the USA all the while as their suit progresses thru the
overburdened court system- -

the Defense lawyers realize it ammounts to a win-win situation for the illegal immigrants.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
To the person that gave this submission a NO vote as not being right for ATSNN.
Can you please let me know what is wrong with this submission and how it does not fit ATSNN?
Thank you,

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   

A Federal Appeals Court has refused to stop an Arizona law that will deny some public benefits to illegal immigrants. The law will deny illegal immigrants the ability to collect such benefits as Food Stamps and Welfare. The Law will also require that voters will have to show proof of citizenship before being allowed to vote.

It's about time they cut off illegals from sucking our resources dry, they were meant for legal citizens not illegal citizens

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
It's refreshing to see the courts make the right decision, it happens so rarely nowadays.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Uh...actually that might have been me, but not intentionally.

My screen froze twice in quick succession, and it might have inadvertently clicked "no" when I meant to hit "yes".

Sorry

(Can I vote again?)

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
No problem! I was just wondering as I have received votes like that in the past and I am trying to understand the reasoning is all.
Thanks!

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
And this disturbs you why? Why should anyone who is not a US citizen get special treatment? What gave them that right? Ok. Lets give them all the special treatment. Lets tear down the borders. Lets feed them, lets let them drive on our streets, lets clothe them, lets educate them, and lets not forget to medicate them so the SOBs dont feel a ____ thing when they blow themselves up on a train or a bus or in a building that my loved one happens to be in.

I am so proud to be an American! It is an honor I hold dear to my heart. I am so tired of not being able to shop in Kroger wihout hving to turn the label to see what it is in english. We cater way too much already. I work 60 or more hours a week just to make ends meet. I can barely afford to drive to work with gas being $2.40/gallon and they want to feed those who want to gome over here and do nothing to contribute to society? I hope not!
I knew I liked Arizona for a reason!

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Because not every illegal is the same?

Because there are many who eventually do become legal, and contribute to your own state and benefits?

Because there's not every non-citizen is illegal to begin with?
(I'd be one of those legal non-citizens. The ones who pay taxes, etc etc)

Not that it's right that illegals are getting preferential treatment; that's not fair by any means. But it's also unfair to lump together every non-citizen in the same way.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I wonder if the 11th Amendment had anything to do with this:

Amendment XI
The Judicial power of the United States shall not be construed to extend to any suit in law or equity, commenced or prosecuted against one of the United States by Citizens of another State, or by Citizens or Subjects of any Foreign State.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
about time! but i bet there will be only 1 more law like this in teh entire country in the next 5 years, because illigals are this good at keeping us giving them special treatment.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Hey they are here illegaly, as in treaspassing. they drive with no licence,steal SS numbers.They are robbing us blind.In Indiana they get food stamps then go to ohio and get them. Wake up they are the real terroist.They are slowly taking over America.they should get nothing but deported.A friend of mine,a single mother with 3 kids, had went to get heating help and was told all the funding was already gone,the mexicans had already gottin it all.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Because not every illegal is the same?
now read this out loud .anyone crossing the border with out proper paper work is an illegal.their are was to come in this country legaly.I live in a town with a pop of 1900 +or- a few but that does not count the 3000 illegal mexicans

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
it VIOLATES the 14th Amendment to give any kind of government hand out to illegal immigrants.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
And yet, we are baraged daily that it is thier "right" to receive these benefits.
That we should welcome the illegal immigrants with open arms.
Look at the recent news artile where our banking system is now offering illegal immigrants housing loans in spite of their status.
Go to your local emergency rooms, count the numbers of visitors, ask yourself or better yet, ask one of the staff, how many are there who have insurance, who are here legally or not.
look at our prison systems, ask any guard or administrator what the percentage of the inmates are in the US illegally.
As your local police department the number of open warrants they have that are for illegal immigrants.
I applaud the court's ruling as this is a great step toward righting a wrong that our goverment has overlooked for far too long.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I think this is a great step in the right direction. However, I'm hoping it doesn't get taken so far as to remove the basic human rights that everyone should have, legal or otherwise. I mean, emergency medical care, basic legal rights (ie fair trial if necessary), etc. I didn't see anything about education, but I hope that's considered more of a "benefit" than a right; always has been in my book at least. Although I think that people should be able to receive as much education as they want, I don't think that it's fair for citizen tax dollars to buy text books for an illegal immigrant.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
With the national roundup of the MS-13 gang members a couple of weeks ago, this is a breath of fresh air.

I would welcome anyone of any ethnic group into the country if they do so properly.

Anyone coming onto this country without going through the proper procedures should be looked at as a criminal threat.

I know some may not agree with me and that's OK, but you've got to think about it: someone sneeking into this country and trying to bypass the authorities just doesn't look right. From any angle.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Knowing at least one "Coyote", who made good on his/her obtaining citizenship, I am proud to know that person. Having said that, S/he took the chance and made good on it. Alas, the same can not be said for all that come here illegally.

Laws are usually blanket statements that cover everyone, courts are for sorting out the exceptions. I believe the law needs to stand. If you are here illegally, and you get caught, you pay the cost. Seems reasonable to me.

When you take a chance, knowing the rules, and you get caught ...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join