It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Admits Intent to Test Nukes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
kukla - aren't those reactors the ones agreed to by the Clinton administration?

the same ones we were discussing in an agreement made with clinton???? surely you are kidding?

since ive been accused of being nothing but a bush supporter i wasnt about to point this out from fear of MORE accusations of either being a bush supporter otr a clinton hater (neither applies to me, i am merely anti politician PERIOD)

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Why doesn't he just stand in a field and wear a bullseye hat? It'd be so much quicker, and far less people would be killed.... Kim just effectively ended his regime...he simply doesn't realize it yet....

NORTH KOREA-Sunday, September 7th. The leader of North Korea was found dead today of an apparent heart attack....film at 11....

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 02:34 PM
link   
actually i'm not too familiar with the dealings of the reactors. i've just heard that factoid a time or two. if it was part of clinton's agreement, it wouldn't suprise me. i just think its ironic that our secretary of defense had a role in it. didn't mean to fuel the political fires...

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kukla
actually i'm not too familiar with the dealings of the reactors. i've just heard that factoid a time or two. if it was part of clinton's agreement, it wouldn't suprise me. i just think its ironic that our secretary of defense had a role in it. didn't mean to fuel the political fires...

no worries!

although it does keep one thing in persective. it proves rumsfeld isnt JUST a repugnant that at least one person has claimed. no no, he's just an opportunistic jackhole. which is far worse IMO.

[Edited on 28-8-2003 by ThePrankMonkey]

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I kid you not, TPM. Clinton agreed to give NK to lightwater reactors and fuel shipments until the the reactors were complete. These types are supposed to be 'proliferation-proof': nothing to weaponize. kukla's link seems to imply that you can indeed use them for weapons - okay fine - but, the reactors they are using to process those fuel rods aren't THOSE reactors. (in my opinion, that's what that Indy media site is trying to imply).

This though is interesting:
www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Why doesn't he just stand in a field and wear a bullseye hat? It'd be so much quicker, and far less people would be killed.... Kim just effectively ended his regime...he simply doesn't realize it yet....

NORTH KOREA-Sunday, September 7th. The leader of North Korea was found dead today of an apparent heart attack....film at 11....

Hey Gazrok,
have you moved beyond making street lights blink? If not, get a move on...the world is depending on you.

[Edited on 28-8-2003 by Questor]

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
I kid you not, TPM. Clinton agreed to give NK to lightwater reactors and fuel shipments until the the reactors were complete. These types are supposed to be 'proliferation-proof': nothing to weaponize. kukla's link seems to imply that you can indeed use them for weapons - okay fine - but, the reactors they are using to process those fuel rods aren't THOSE reactors. (in my opinion, that's what that Indy media site is trying to imply).

This though is interesting:
www.cnn.com...

well i know from experience in working in a metal shop and having a father who was a machinist i know that if you want to build or convert something bad enough....all it takes is the right tooling.

so this wouldnt surprise me.

the fact we gave/sold them anything to begin with is whats giving me fits. i dont care if ronald mcdonald gave him a nuclear reacter in a happy meal this was wrong and shouldnt have happened PERIOD.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 04:31 PM
link   
the indy article was the first to come up in google. which is strange...didn't they get degoogled from news?

the way i understand is that spent fuel rods from lightwater reactors can be used for reprocessing in a plutonium production reactor. more specifically a graphite-moderated reactor which they already have installed at this facility.

www.globalsecurity.org...

Bill and Donald didn't need to fuel the fire.

Anybody else been thinking how they could use the construction of a hardened bunker for a tax write-off?

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Indy was in Google news? hmm.
kukla - I think if your bunker is 'finished' as living space (wall, floors, etc) you can write that off - but probably pay prop. taxes on it though.

and the Yongbyon reactor is 5mw - I read somewhere the power output from that facility, after it's own power needs, would only produce enough power for a few small villages. (thus the only use for the reactor is weapons)

I think if anyone attacks NK - it's going to come out of the blue - maybe after these current talks if they don't go well?

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 05:19 PM
link   
i doubt anyone is going to actually go after NK. unless lil crazy kim does something incredibly stupid to tip his hand and force others to act on an immediate threat he'll be going home with his tail between his legs after having his bluff called.

we have to keep in mind this is the first communist dynasty on the planet, it has passed from father to son. kim is brainwashed and so firmly believes he is almighty and powerful. he trully thinks america is out to get him. most north koreans are brains washed into believing the same thing and they dont really understand the average american isnt their enemy and doesnt want to hurt them at all. (notice i said the average american, not some frigging politician so keep your flames to yourself people!) they really believe we are blood thirsty savages and that they actually won the korean war and drove us out and blah blah blah.

its appaling to see and hear all the things that go in NK. they havre this GIGANTIC bronze statue of "the great leader" they constantly watch over and keep clean and make daily "offerings" of flowers to mourn crazy kim's now rotten corpse of a father. meanwhile his people starve and live in squalor. he boasts of a million man standing army and creates weapons while most of his people are forced to particiapte in military parades to make him look powerful and popular when he's anything but. they are actually forced to wear suits and dresses in public regardless of their job to give the appearance NK is prosperous and successful when its really not. his own people have even the dead because of these government run farms that make little use of the land. they are kept ignorant out of the outside world (literally).

someone needs to kill this no good SOB and fast.

if he does do something stupid if these talks fail all hell is going to break loos and many more lives are going to be lost than necassary because of one crazy psychotic north korean who wants to play russian roulette with a semi automatic pistol. death is a guarantee for him at least. the rest the people are going to suffer needlessly over something that could have been prevented.

but you're right about that reactor, it barely makes enough power to light up a village. its a weapons grade plant plain and simple.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 05:48 PM
link   
NK is building a 50MW reactor in Yongbyon.

[Edited on 30-8-2003 by kukla]

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Hey Gazrok,
have you moved beyond making street lights blink? If not, get a move on...the world is depending on you.

Unfortunately, nope....
I can singe the edge of paper, and move watch hands, etc. but nothing that would stop this whole madness that's bound to occur.....

Only reason I even practice it is in the hopes that maybe my children's children, etc. may be able to do a little bit more, hehe...

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 07:13 PM
link   
dont waste time on useless tactics to dissuade form the truth. the truth asia, next africa, next world.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 07:20 PM
link   
well i'd say test it then we know if you have one, then at that point i don't think France and germany could oppose any action against NK, but they probably would just to smit the USA

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I have a strong feeling that the JSDF may launch a Pearl Harbor II on North Korea in the next week or 2 if this test is successful...

posted on Aug, 29 2003 @ 10:29 AM
link   
dragonrider!!!!!

I hope that you are wrong and there isnt a Pearl Harbour II, the first one was bad enough lov?

That saying "# hit the fan" getting close again?

Blackwidow

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 01:03 PM
link   
North Korea Says It Is Against More Talks

The talks have made us believe that we have no other choice but to strengthen our nuclear deterrent force as a self-defensive means," the spokesman was quoted as saying. "We are not interested at all in this kind of talks and do not have any hopes," for continuing the negotiations, he said.

news.yahoo.com.../nyt/20030830/ts_nyt/northkoreasaysitisagainstmoretalks&printer=1

I wonder if the nuke test will still go forward?????

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
North Korea Says It Is Against More Talks

The talks have made us believe that we have no other choice but to strengthen our nuclear deterrent force as a self-defensive means," the spokesman was quoted as saying. "We are not interested at all in this kind of talks and do not have any hopes," for continuing the negotiations, he said.

news.yahoo.com.../nyt/20030830/ts_nyt/northkoreasaysitisagainstmoretalks&printer=1

I wonder if the nuke test will still go forward?????

they were hoping the US would cave in and give them what they wanted. we didnt cave and they uped the ante. they play a dangerous game but they'll fold eventually, on their own or with some strong armed assistance....

lil kim might want to get use to being told no a lot because its not going to change any time soon. spoiled little brat.

THIS is what happens when you're a communist dictator and you raise your child this way. they turn into an international crybaby brat.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I find it a bit alarming that Kim has changed his stance on this issue. What I mean, is that at one point he was saying that N. Korea would end their nuke program and dismantle what nukes they did have for a non-aggression agreement with the US AND with economic/monatary aid(s).
Now, in regards to the recent meeting, he has changed his stance and hardlined it even more. Either he is again using this for a political manoever or Kim has "something" up his sleeve. Perhaps the dealings his country and Iran are or have been involved in, is giving 'something' to Kim and his nation that is causing him to increase his rhetoric or stance.
Personally, things will only deteriorate more in N. Korea, if not with the surrounding nations and the US if this continues to progress. The US, Russia, Japan, S. Korea are not going to change their hardline stance against Kim or N. Korea till he complys....in whatever form that will take.
China, as par, is the 'wild card' in all this....but from the other news sources I have been reading, I tend to think that China is actually growing weary of Kim's continued manipulations of the issues.
I think this is all going to blossom into a New-Age Cold War. With Iran seeking their own nuke, N. Korea, and those with the nuke capabilities already....the US nor NATO and even the UN won't be able to fully prevent it.
Memories of 'Ronnie' come to mind......

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I think the dispute is who moves first. US demands that NK dismantle before any concessions and NK demands concessions before any disarmament. I don�t think the framework has changed all that much, its just a question of flinches first? That�s why Pritchard�s departure is so important.

A weapons test could easily be a �red-zone� trigger. I�d say a Cold War is a real possibility unless Donald thinks we have the manpower available to sustain a fight in yet another theatre.

Long live Ronnie�

How�s school Seekerof?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join