It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Admits Intent to Test Nukes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:33 PM
link   
North Korea publicly states intent to test operational nuclear weapons.

Anyone taking bets on how long we have now???

North Korea to carry out Nuclear test

North Korea announced today that it intends to formally declare its possession of nuclear weapons and to carry out a nuclear test, a US official said.

North Korean Deputy Foreign Minister Kim Yong Il also told the six nation summit in Beijing that his country has the means to deliver nuclear weapons, an apparent reference to the North�s highly developed missile programme.

The comments cast a pall over today�s session, which included representatives of the US, South Korea, China, Japan and Russia, in addition to North Korea.

www.examiner.ie...

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This can't be good at all. I doubt very much that the US will stand idle and allow NK to further develop their nuclear technologies. I think this dispute will come to ahead within the next two months with either war or stand down by NK. My money is on the first.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:39 PM
link   
and yet while he wants money for nukes (which he got BTW) his people starve and have been reduced to eating the dead from what i understand.

thanks clinton! (i know he's just a politician but he certainly didnt help giving them materials to do the very thing we are trying to rpevent them from doing)

when is someone going to put a bullet into lil kim's skull?

hell i'd be willing to do it myself!

[Edited on 28-8-2003 by ThePrankMonkey]

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:43 PM
link   
A report by Reuters on July 26, 2003 this possiblity.

The 55th Anniversary of founding of the DPR is on September 9, which is thought to be the day NK will test a nuclear weapon.

Gloabal Security has good page on a possible NK timeline.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I think now would be a good time to invest in a good lead bunker.......with all the distractions for George Bush (Iraq, Iran etc.), Kim has got plenty of time to stew and go crazier......... watch out, nuclear Kim's about!

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I think it more political leaveraging by Kim and N.Korea.
I believe that what Kim is doing is trying to 'scare' those involved with this crisis or situation...Russia, China, US, Japan, and S. Korea.

Even if he does follow through with this, I guess this world is going to have to live with the reprocussions. Proliferation of nukes will continue to be reality and a much greater threat. Kim has no problems of selling nukes to anyone. Technology? No problem...he'll sell that too.

Personally....this world is going to hell in a handbasket anyhow.....The US will be at fault for this also...bet on it!

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   
That's what happens when you allow leaders with bigger egos than brains to run amok.

As long as this continues, I'd hazard a guess that by the end of this year, a good chunk of the world shall be nuked.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I would remind everyone that earlier this year, the Japanese Self Defence Forces publicly stated that if they had any evidence that North Korea planned an attack against Japan, they would NOT HESITATE TO ACT PREEMPTIVELY....

I wonder just what activity would set the JSDF off, and if THEY may well have nuclear weapons?

(I would also remind people of a news article late last year stating that the Japanese nuclear power industry had "lost" over 200 kilos of plutonium "during enrichment processes"....)

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Japan has said they would produce nukes if they thought they needed them. I think the US should loan Japan a few for deterrant 'cause that's one crazy dictator there in NK

And, if they test a nuke at least we would know they have nuke.

DR, I read up that 'lost' plutonium too. Funny how that stuff tends to get lost.

[Edited on 28-8-2003 by Bob88]

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This story now being discussed on the radio, AP newswire... they are saying it is a bluff on the part of the North Koreans in order to get concessions from the US....

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
This story now being discussed on the radio, AP newswire... they are saying it is a bluff on the part of the North Koreans in order to get concessions from the US....

of course it is! thats what this is all about! they're using nuclear testing and development as a means to extort the US government. it isnt going to happen either.

i think lil kim is gonna find out one way or another thats not how things work. not for him anyway. that might work on some peasant he half starves to death but it doesnt work on us.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:47 PM
link   
What it boils down to, is that if they do have them (and I believe they do) they are going to use them. Now, if the US steps in to stop it, we will be the bad guys. But if we don't step in and launch a pre-emtive, and then they test and kill anyone in any other country, the US is still the bad guy.

No matter what, Bush has now got the US back into a position that no matter what we do, no matter how hard we try, we are in a lose-lose as far as our reputation to other countries.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImAlreadyPsycho
What it boils down to, is that if they do have them (and I believe they do) they are going to use them. Now, if the US steps in to stop it, we will be the bad guys. But if we don't step in and launch a pre-emtive, and then they test and kill anyone in any other country, the US is still the bad guy.

No matter what, Bush has now got the US back into a position that no matter what we do, no matter how hard we try, we are in a lose-lose as far as our reputation to other countries.

AHEM!!!

correction, if it were not for someone ELSE providing certain materials to NK then we probably wouldnt be facing this problem.

dont blame bush for this. he only inherited the problem, he didnt create it.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:51 PM
link   
"North Korean Deputy Foreign Minister Kim Yong Il also told the six nation summit in Beijing that his country has the means to deliver nuclear weapons, an apparent reference to the North�s highly developed missile programme."

Lets not carried away.. scud series and it variants hardly count as "highly developed"..

www.fas.org...

www.globalsecurity.org...

NK:s best missile, No Dong has range of 1350-1500km and is in effect a scud..

Here is facts about scud:

www.janes.com...

IOC in 1955 and is a V-2 copy/variant..
Only with last, scud d can we talk about accuracy.. it has CEP 50m as first version had CEP of 3000m..

[Edited on 28-8-2003 by FULCRUM]

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Is anyone crazy enough to call his bluff?

YAH!

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

AHEM!!!

correction, if it were not for someone ELSE providing certain materials to NK then we probably wouldnt be facing this problem.

Actually you're right, we can't blame Bush. Rumsfeld is the one that allowed them to build their two newest reactors.

"Mr Sutherland and Mr Rumsfeld, who work together on several high-level projects, were both board members of a Zurich-based energy company, ABB, which sold two light-water nuclear reactors to the communists in 2000."

houston.indymedia.org...

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Questor
Is anyone crazy enough to call his bluff?

YAH!

its either that or give the extortion artist what he wants. and i SERIOUSLY doubt thats that's going to happen.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 02:05 PM
link   
ThePrankMonkey: You see, it's much easier to blame Bush then to hold a lunatic responsible for their actions -or to fault them for breaking previous agreements. Just blame Bush!

At any rate, I'd say to NK: Go ahead, test a nuke - then we'll know whether or not they're bluffing.

and at what point do we say 'enough is enough' - do they have to show proof they have a nuke? Do they have to test a few missiles to show they can reach the US? They've already shot one over Japan. Where's the line? Or does the world allow NK to keep on going with it's nuke program?

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by kukla

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

AHEM!!!

Actually you're right, we can't blame Bush. Rumsfeld is the one that allowed them to build their two newest reactors.

"Mr Sutherland and Mr Rumsfeld, who work together on several high-level projects, were both board members of a Zurich-based energy company, ABB, which sold two light-water nuclear reactors to the communists in 2000."

houston.indymedia.org...

there ya go then! blame mr hand gestures. at least its more fitting blame.

bob88 yes i know. lil kim made agreements with another president that shouldnt have been made the way they were written and then decided after getting what he wanted in said agreements he reneged on the agreement and then proceeded to extort ANOTHER president who is getting blamed for it all!

whats next? blaming busah for the big bang ot the extintion of dinosaurs? some people know no bounds of their own hatred and cant see it clouds their eye of objectivity.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 02:27 PM
link   
kukla - aren't those reactors the ones agreed to by the Clinton administration?

(also - these aren't the reactors from which they are processing fuel rods - their Yongbyon reactor is one their using for nukes)

[Edited on 28-8-2003 by Bob88]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join