It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Important information on the new servers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The new servers are up and running.

Some people may experience short-term "hard redirects" to the new IP addresses of the server. For example, ATS is 70.86.59.146. This is a temporary solution to force all users to the new system so there are no lost posts in the database.

Even when you're getting the IP address, please try typing in the full www.abovetopsecret.com... URL. The "time out" in our DNS records have been set to a very short period, and propagation of the new server IP addresses should be pretty quick. (It's already working for me).

This new system is our first full-cluster, utilizing a pair of servers for the boards. So our new hardware set-up is as follows:

These two with a direct-connect private network:
> dedicated database-only server (dual-Xeon Raid1)
> dedicated boards-only server (dual-Xeon Raid1)

> Utility server: mail, blogs, images (dual-Xeon SCSI)

> Chat server: also some images (single-Xeon SCSI)

The two-server cluster is capable of scaling with load balancing and new web servers as needed.

So... in some now infamous words... "bring 'em on!"

There will likely be some minor things that have been missed in the move of 2.5 gigabytes of database data and 320 megabytes of PHP files. If you find something we should look at, please post it in this thread.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Wow, I've never seen it so fast. Great stuff!

I don't know if this is to do with the changeover, but the RSS doesn't seem to be working. It says XML parse error.

Edit: It's fixed now, nice one!

[edit on 9-8-2005 by kegs]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This is excellent excellent news. The speed was always an issue here. I dont see that being a problem anymore. Fantastic!

Great work moving it all so quick and accurate.

Forgive me please , it is just my nature I suppose, but on with the error list. I think the list is pretty small. You did really good work.

1. Podcast link gives 404 error.(66.98.176.42...)
2. Chat was giving me Error to load client configuration file then it was back up, now it is giving the error again.
3. Member upload not available. (no error, just a white screen).
4. Main page (www.abovetopsecret.com...) just under the image of the satellite shows the following error: [CaRP] XML error: junk after document element at line 2
5. ATS Weekly tab at the top of the page takes you to the Main Page (www.abovetopsecret.com...)

P.S. It is nice to see the man it tights back.

[edit on 9-8-2005 by makeitso]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Looks like you whittled down my list pretty quick.

Only one or two left.

Chat now loads, but when I press the login button, it flashs logging, and then displays

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Clear your browser cache, and make sure the abovetopsecret.com URL is in your browser's address line.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Understood.

I Thought of that. Did it again per your request.

It did not resolve the issue.

Still great work! One little bugaboo is not a big deal.

You have noted of course that I am not the only one, www.abovetopsecret.com... so I dont think it is my pc. Yes I have the latest flash, and IP to name resolution is working properly. I think the only people logged into chat were in it before the change. (LiquidationOfDiscrepancy - SkepticOverlord - obsidian468)

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I am having the same problem as "makeitso". It is only a small problem. It is good to see that ATS is using clustering-it needs it. When u have a board that deals with enterprise level loads, you need an enterprise level server cluster.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I tried to empty cache and still have the "Unknown Error" problem logging into chat.

I'm using Safari/Mac OS X 10.4.1

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Cleared everything re logged into the site... Chat loads then when I click log in I get "Unknown Error"...

m...

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Good thought djohnsto77, I forgot to let him know my OS and browser.

I'm running Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition without SP2, and IE 6.0, Flash Version 7,0,19,0

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
It works fine for me.

I rebooted the chat server... otherwise, give the DNS a little more time to spread.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Did you try to actually login SO? The window comes up fine, but when you login you get the error. No one is in any room now.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
yep

Logged in and posted just fine.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I think I noticed something.

If I try to log into chat from ATS it gives me the posted unknown error when I press the login button.

If I try chat from BTS it gives me this

Still great work.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
BTS always gave you that error with chat.

I think it's a problem with the connection between the chat server and the authentication database (whose IP I guess changed)...could be a DNS propagation problem as SO suggested.

new topics

top topics

join