It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you become a mason?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This was a bumper sticker used by the grand lodge to let people know how to become masons. Their are a lot of different rules (depending on where you live), but a lot of lodges are starting to except women. If your area does not, then you might want to look into joining a womens group (like eastern star) that is masonic sponcered. The masons don't worship the devil. They are actually jewish based. With their roots going back to the building of king solomen's temple. They used to be very influintial. but any more it's used as a passage to be elideable to join other fraternies (like knights templar,or shriners).

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by only onus
This was a bumper sticker used by the grand lodge to let people know how to become masons. Their are a lot of different rules (depending on where you live), but a lot of lodges are starting to except women. If your area does not, then you might want to look into joining a womens group (like eastern star) that is masonic sponcered. The masons don't worship the devil. They are actually jewish based. With their roots going back to the building of king solomen's temple. They used to be very influintial. but any more it's used as a passage to be elideable to join other fraternies (like knights templar,or shriners).

There are no lodges admitting women. If they do, they are not legal masonic lodges.

And most of Freemasonry's roots are actually in Christianity, which has many roots in Judaism.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Heheh thanks. Actually, masons don't identify themselves AT ALL as masons until they are Master Masons. Not just to the uninitiated, masons are not to wear the s&c until they truly know what it means and why it is the way that it is.

Yeah, I know, and I was certainly not going to wear the square and compass on my person until I became a Master Mason (although there are some fine rings I've been looking at for when that time comes), but I guess I felt an avatar of something masonic wouldn't be too much. I guess I'll look for some EA- and FC-related images for when I make those degrees.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexicon
Yeah, I know, and I was certainly not going to wear the square and compass on my person until I became a Master Mason (although there are some fine rings I've been looking at for when that time comes), but I guess I felt an avatar of something masonic wouldn't be too much. I guess I'll look for some EA- and FC-related images for when I make those degrees.

Hit me up when you do, I have crests like the one on my avatar but for 1st and 2nd degree. The one I have is the 3rd degree crest.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sebatwerk

Hit me up when you do, I have crests like the one on my avatar but for 1st and 2nd degree. The one I have is the 3rd degree crest.

Is that an open invitation? I would glady of course (when I have progressed to that point) be willing to compansate you for your expenses.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Don't bother trying to join, it will take years and years to rise in ranks and most of the Masonic lodges you see around your city are just fake Mason lodges filled with old men reminiscing of the yester-year that only exists in their imagination. Besides, you don't really want to join, that would be a bad idea.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousUserVII
Don't bother trying to join, it will take years and years to rise in ranks and most of the Masonic lodges you see around your city are just fake Mason lodges filled with old men reminiscing of the yester-year that only exists in their imagination. Besides, you don't really want to join, that would be a bad idea.

Please, enlighten us to why it is such a bad idea!

Tell me also, since you seem to be so highly educated on the subject, what is the difference between "fake" Mason lodges and "real" Mason lodges?

I can't wait to hear this...

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Oh no we're back to the hidden agenda thing again. Yes, please enlighten me.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Aside from the fact that I do, in fact, want to join, the two guys who showed me the temple (both past masters) told me that it was really quite easy and quick to gain the degrees of the Scottish Rite, although it also takes a good deal of money. I think they said it would be around $1600 CAD to go up to the 32d degree. The York Rite takes longer, but it also doesn't cost much. But most of the York Rite degrees require you to be a Christian, which I'm not. I'll probably be quite happy with things when I become a Master Mason and won't feel the need to gain any other degrees until I'm somewhat older and hopefully wiser. Anyway, my wife told me there's no way she's going to tolerate me driving around in a little go-kart and wearing a fez at my age.

On the topic of Shriners' go-karts--quite recently in my city someone stole the whole lot from the Shriners. See story here.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexicon
On the topic of Shriners' go-karts--quite recently in my city someone stole the whole lot from the Shriners. See story here.

I read that in the Star, damn sad. Thousands of dollars will be lost in fundraising.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
You believe whatever you want, I've said my piece. Later.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Axeman

I do believe that he avoided your question......what a shocker

You would've thought he'd at least said something about reptillian overlords obsessed with world domination via toilet abuse

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   

You believe whatever you want, I've said my piece. Later.

[YAWN]

True. You have indeed said your "piece" But WHY? You quite OBVIOUSLY have no idea what Masonry is all about (and PLEASE don't quote David Icke or point any of us to freemasonrywatch.com)

You also have no clue as to the time involved in actually receiving the various Degrees.

I'll help you a bit here.

I joined and received the First (Entered Apprentice) Degree in September 1989. I was tested and proven proficient in that degree and in October I received the Second (Fellow Craft) Degree. I proved proficient in that degree and became a Master Mason (Third Degree) in November.

I worked in the Lodge for almost a year and petitioned the York Rite bodies (there are THREE of them) I received the First degree of the Chapter in August 1990. I received the 2nd and 3rd degrees of the Chapter in September and the final (Royal Arch) Degree in October. In November I received the 1st and 2nd Degrees of the Council (Royal Master and Select Master) in early December I recieved the first two Orders of the Commandery (Order of the Red Cross and Order of Knight of Malta) and in late December I received the Order of the Temple (Knight Templar), the terminal degree of the York Rite System.

In May 1991 I petitioned the Scottish Rite and on June 1, 1991 I received the 4th - 32nd Degrees, inclusive. Only the obligatory degrees (4th, 14th, 18th, 30th and 32nd) were actually "conferred" the rest were "communicated" (explained) and it was a LONG day. But if you put all these things into actual DAYS (dates, not 24-hr days), it took TEN, count 'em TEN days to become a Master Mason, a member of the York Rite and a member of the Scottish Rite. I've joined various other Masonic rites and degrees, but those are the two that I consider most important.

Ten days...hardly the "years" you mentioned in the earlier post, huh?

Certainly there's WORK involved, particularly in learning the proficiencies for the three Symbolic Degrees (no memorization required in York or Scottish Rite any more, although there was at one time). But, hey, anything worthwhile is worth working for.

[edit on 28-8-2005 by senrak]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   

??? I was a Master Mason in 1 1/2 months. It takes three days to get the rest of the degrees. You pay the money and go through the degrees in one weekend if you are of a mind to join that club as well.

It doesn't take "years and years" to rise in ranks.

Shoot I am the youngest man to ever be Master of my lodge. It took me 5 years to do that. We now have quite a young gathering of Masons in our lodge, almost every officer is younger than 40 and all are committed to continuing in line. Yes, there are the old guys that reminisce about yesteryear, but there are also a great many active lodges that work in their community to make their surroundings a better place for all who live in it.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Here in Maryland, they still do things the old fashion way. It took me about 15-16 months to complete all three degrees. Made some very good friends since there were about five of us that went through together. All I did to join was email the Grand Lodge and they got me in contact with a local lodge and I filled out my petition and it went from there. Very easy but somewhat time consuming process. My Lodge is filled with a lot of 20 and 30 something members. There's a resurgence in interest about Masonry. Good luck to you.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I have another question about joining.

I heard that Masons conduct background checks. Does this background check include a credit check? I have no criminal history but my credit isn't the best. No bankruptcy, repo's, or foreclosures (nothing major), but late on a few payments here recently.

I would apply but would be embarrassed if I got turned down because of this.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I can't imagine anyone being turned away because of a poor credit history. The only credit history they are interested in is the credit of your personal character. Masons are made up by men from all financial backgrounds, the poor and the rich a like are all ultimately just men.

Now if you had a reputation of being someone who is always asking for money etc, or had conned people, that would deffinately not be good. But I know lots of guys in the lodge who are scraping by at times to make ends meet, that's the nature of the world we live in. If people are looking for a gentlemens club full of wealthy types this is NOT it.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I think they did ask for my SSN on the petition and also about any previous covictions. I did have a bankruptcy on my credit history from about eight years before and nothing was ever said of it. They do interview you and as long as you seem to be a decent person, you have nothing to worry about.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
how long does it take to rise in the degress of the scottish rite?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join