It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you become a mason?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Three Knocks Monkeys, not just for gaining entrance anymore...

Mirthful.....maybe their GM was just a huge Tony Orlando fan....you know

~/...knock three times.../~

But in all honesty here in the Land O' Lincoln (Illinois) I've not heard of that either....

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trinityman
I have never heard of this at all. Does anyone know anything about this?

I haven't heard of this either. Maybe since I am the third mason to not have heard of it, the next one will?

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I had to ask three times, but it was only a formality (in the keystone state). It is to show that your intent is not just "on a whim"

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by sebatwerk
I haven't heard of this either. Maybe since I am the third mason to not have heard of it, the next one will?

Originally posted by Stoic 1
I had to ask three times, but it was only a formality (in the keystone state). It is to show that your intent is not just "on a whim"

S P O O K Y

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stegosaur

Originally posted by No1tovote4
After a time you would ask to apply to become a Mason. In some areas they make you ask three different times. You would have to ask, be refused, ask again, be refused, ask one more time get an application.

It all depends on what the Grand Lodge rules are and how closely the Lodge follows certain traditions.

Dare I ask what the "Please?-No.-Please?-No!-Please?!-Ok,Maybe" is all about? If it's not allowed to be discussed for whatever reason, that's fine; I was just wondering.

Seems to me that I recall reading something about when someone wants to convert to Judaism, they are strongly discouraged by the Rabbi three times but then after that, the Rabbi will no longer try to dissuade them. I don't think the two instances are necessarily related in any way; I just found the similarity to be interesting.

Does anyone know of any other groups that do this is as well, whether it be due to tradition or some other reason?

It is only done in more Traditional settings. This was to insure that you were not asking to become a Mason because it would be a "lark" or on a whim and that you were truly seriously wanting to be a Mason. Most Lodges and Grand Lodges no longer require this.

In some areas Freemasons are not allowed to ask a friend to be a Freemason, hence you get the Ask1toB1 type of thing. Some are more Liberal on that rule as well and you could actually be approached by a Freemason.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CowboyKnight
Yeah, I pass two on my way to work. So contacting another one wouldn't be problem. But I would perfer to go to the one closer to my house.

I will tell you, you will prefer to go to an active Lodge with membership that is willing and able then simply the one closest to your house. If all it is in the Lodge are the eldest members meeting to tell you about the sickest members you will fast lose interest and miss alot of what Freemasonry has to offer.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I had been told that at one time in Texas it was common to have to ask 3 times. When I joined they had dropped it. Membership was down and the rules in Texas have become more laxed.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost in the midwest
I had been told that at one time in Texas it was common to have to ask 3 times. When I joined they had dropped it. Membership was down and the rules in Texas have become more laxed.

Exactly. This is why I mentioned it. He may need to ask thrice to gain acceptance as they are often more Traditional in the UK than here in the US. They changed that rule long before I became a Mason and there is recent talk of changing the ask rule. They may allow a Freemason to ask a friend if they want to be a member....

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost in the midwest

When I called the secretary of the lodge here, he emailed me a petition the same day.

Are you still in Texas?

[edit on 8/24/05 by The Axeman]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I have asked the Master of my lodge here in Missouri and they no longer have a probition against asking some one if they would like to join.

Not in Texas any more, Kept my home lodge there

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golfie
Mirthful.....maybe their GM was just a huge Tony Orlando fan....you know
~/...knock three times.../~

Apparently wasn't a Dave Edmunds fan-
"I Hear You Knocking (But You Can't Come In)".
That could put a damper on the ol' enrollment.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
If you have ancestors who were freemasons, or you have been involved yourself, you will need deliverance from evil spirits. These spirits have the characteristic of producing a kind of spiritual blindness in people. Its no wonder since the initiation of a first level mason involves the initiate wearing a blindfold. Even those who reach the top of the mountain of freemasonry are told that a cloud obscures the view from the top of the mountain. The connections with spiritual blindness should be obvious enough. For the sake of Christ, reconsider your position and take a stand for Christ. Put your vision and efforts into discipleship in the Kingdom of God and not in the lying system of Freemasonry.
Exodus 23:24 NIV Read this Chapter
Do not bow down before their gods or worship them or follow their practices. You must demolish them and break their sacred stones to pieces.
Leviticus 18:3 NIV Read this Chapter
You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices.
Leviticus 18:30 NIV Read this Chapter
Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them. I am the LORD your God.' "
Leviticus 19:26 NIV Read this Chapter
" 'Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it. " 'Do not practice divination or sorcery.
Deuteronomy 18:9 NIV Read this Chapter
[ Detestable Practices ] When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there.
Deuteronomy 18:10 NIV Read this Chapter
Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in [ Or who makes his son or daughter pass through ] the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft,
Deuteronomy 18:12 NIV Read this Chapter
Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you.
Deuteronomy 18:14 NIV Read this Chapter
[ The Prophet ] The nations you will dispossess listen to those who practice sorcery or divination. But as for you, the LORD your God has not permitted you to do so.
Joshua 13:22 NIV Read this Chapter
In addition to those slain in battle, the Israelites had put to the sword Balaam son of Beor, who practiced divination.
Judges 2:19 NIV Read this Chapter
But when the judge died, the people returned to ways even more corrupt than those of their fathers, following other gods and serving and worshiping them. They refused to give up their evil practices and stubborn ways.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuessWho

If you have ancestors who were freemasons, or you have been involved yourself, you will need deliverance from evil spirits. These spirits have the characteristic of producing a kind of spiritual blindness in people. Its no wonder since the initiation of a first level mason involves the initiate wearing a blindfold. Even those who reach the top of the mountain of freemasonry are told that a cloud obscures the view from the top of the mountain. The connections with spiritual blindness should be obvious enough. For the sake of Christ, reconsider your position and take a stand for Christ. Put your vision and efforts into discipleship in the Kingdom of God and not in the lying system of Freemasonry.
Exodus 23:24 NIV Read this Chapter
Do not bow down before their gods or worship them or follow their practices. You must demolish them and break their sacred stones to pieces.
Leviticus 18:3 NIV Read this Chapter
You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices.
Leviticus 18:30 NIV Read this Chapter
Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them. I am the LORD your God.' "
Leviticus 19:26 NIV Read this Chapter
" 'Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it. " 'Do not practice divination or sorcery.
Deuteronomy 18:9 NIV Read this Chapter
[ Detestable Practices ] When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there.
Deuteronomy 18:10 NIV Read this Chapter
Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in [ Or who makes his son or daughter pass through ] the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft,
Deuteronomy 18:12 NIV Read this Chapter
Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you.
Deuteronomy 18:14 NIV Read this Chapter
[ The Prophet ] The nations you will dispossess listen to those who practice sorcery or divination. But as for you, the LORD your God has not permitted you to do so.
Joshua 13:22 NIV Read this Chapter
In addition to those slain in battle, the Israelites had put to the sword Balaam son of Beor, who practiced divination.
Judges 2:19 NIV Read this Chapter
But when the judge died, the people returned to ways even more corrupt than those of their fathers, following other gods and serving and worshiping them. They refused to give up their evil practices and stubborn ways.

The Freemasons do not ask one to change their religious beliefs. Nobody has asked me to convert or even change the name of the Deity that I believe in, nor would they.

This is simply a disingenuous and largely debunked theory of Freemasonry based on the notion that somehow people who hide secret handshakes poorly must be Satanists. It simply isn't true.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuessWho
If *SNIP* Copy and paste.

GW, are you going to just Spam ATS with copy and pastes from this site:

www.christian-faith.com...

Try contributing your own thoughts, instead of parroting previously created content (read: plagiarism).

Bird Monkeys, not just for “Polly want a cracker” anymore…

[edit on 25/8/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by No1tovote4

I will tell you, you will prefer to go to an active Lodge with membership that is willing and able then simply the one closest to your house. If all it is in the Lodge are the eldest members meeting to tell you about the sickest members you will fast lose interest and miss alot of what Freemasonry has to offer.

Excellent point. I'll knock for the third time and give them a week to get back to me then I'll try knocking on another door.

Thanks for the help.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CowboyKnight

Excellent point. I'll knock for the third time and give them a week to get back to me then I'll try knocking on another door.

Thanks for the help.

Keep us posted!

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

When I called the secretary of the lodge here, he emailed me a petition the same day.

My experience has been the same--I filled out an online form to let the lodge know I was interested and within an hour or two I had an email in response and later that evening I got a call from the secretary to talk a bit about freemasonry and set up a day to go see the temple, ask a few more questions, and fill out an application. Seems that they're still not allowed to invite people to become brothers here, but as soon as one asks they're all over you like white on rice.

Not yet a mason--should hopefully be getting a call soon to go through the interview.

Oh, yeah, hi everyone.

[edit on 25-8-2005 by Lexicon]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexicon
Seems that they're still not allowed to invite people to become brothers here, but as soon as one asks they're all over you like white on rice.

Bah, not exactly. Some lodges, especially my lodge, has still kept its dignity even in the midst of declining membership. The requirements to join my lodge are still incredibly strict, and the brethren must all meet you before you petition. We will not pursure you in any way, ask you to come over for dinner, petition, etc. YOU must ask for EVERYTHING, including to be invited to dinner.

Not yet a mason--should hopefully be getting a call soon to go through the interview.

By the avatar you display, I thought you were a mason. Normally, we don't identify ourselves as masons to the profane until we have been raised as Master Masons

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   

By the avatar you display, I thought you were a mason. Normally, we don't identify ourselves as masons to the profane until we have been raised as Master Masons

How's that?

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexicon

How's that?

Heheh thanks. Actually, masons don't identify themselves AT ALL as masons until they are Master Masons. Not just to the uninitiated, masons are not to wear the s&c until they truly know what it means and why it is the way that it is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join