It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

How do you become a mason?

page: 1
0
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I dont understand how you become one, help please.




posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkmonkey14
I dont understand how you become one, help please.


Good question, and like all good questions, it's been answered before...

Utilizing the ATS Search Function can go a long way to providing some (or in this case, a lot) of answers.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Haystack Monkeys, not just for finding needles anymore...



posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
If you know a Brother, then it's as simple as asking to start the process.
If not then locate a lodge near you and give them a call.

After you've spoken with a member of that lodge, should you decide that you wish to continue, you will fill out a petition.
An investigating committee will then sit down with you and learn what kind of person you are,
and also give you the opportunity to ask any questions. The committee will then report back to the
lodge , and the petition will be voted upon.



posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Does anyone have any experience of joniing a lodge in the UK? I have looked at the threads above and it appears that most of the masons posting here are based in north america [with the exception of Leveller - am I correct]. I am very interested in joing the masons for reasons I will outline below.

I first came across the Brotherhood when I saw an photo of a relative dressed in full masonic regalia. I understand that he had been master of a lodge in New Zealand, but this was at the beginning of the 20th Century. He was my great-grandfather - would that still make me a lewis? I also think my uncle is currently a mason, but I do not think I would be able to brooch this topic with him.

From an early age I always had a very inquisitive mind. At junior school I would always read books about unexplained mysteries, ghosts, conspiracies etc - all the leftfield topics. I was also very keen in history, the grail legends and the knights templar. As I grew up my reading branched out in various directions. I read most of RA Wilson, and devoured Manly Hall's "secret teachings of all ages". I have also read a few of Lomas and Knight's books on the craft. Counter-balancing these works I also read Stephen Knight's attack on the craft, and various other writers who seek to tie the craft into any old conspiracy they can think of.

Having taken all this information in my view of the masonry is that it is a fraternal order that seeks to provide some spiritual enlightenment to its members, or at least makes them better persons. I am particularly interested in some of the more esoteric aspects of the craft such as the Societas Rosicruciana in Anglia. I believe that joining the masons would enable me to be a better person.

Given that I have these characteristics would I make a suitable mason, and could anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

ps I am sorry if this is not the most suitable place to start my enquiry, ad for digging up an old thread



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23spy
Does anyone have any experience of joniing a lodge in the UK? I have looked at the threads above and it appears that most of the masons posting here are based in north america [with the exception of Leveller - am I correct]. I am very interested in joing the masons for reasons I will outline below.

I first came across the Brotherhood when I saw an photo of a relative dressed in full masonic regalia. I understand that he had been master of a lodge in New Zealand, but this was at the beginning of the 20th Century. He was my great-grandfather - would that still make me a lewis? I also think my uncle is currently a mason, but I do not think I would be able to brooch this topic with him.

From an early age I always had a very inquisitive mind. At junior school I would always read books about unexplained mysteries, ghosts, conspiracies etc - all the leftfield topics. I was also very keen in history, the grail legends and the knights templar. As I grew up my reading branched out in various directions. I read most of RA Wilson, and devoured Manly Hall's "secret teachings of all ages". I have also read a few of Lomas and Knight's books on the craft. Counter-balancing these works I also read Stephen Knight's attack on the craft, and various other writers who seek to tie the craft into any old conspiracy they can think of.

Having taken all this information in my view of the masonry is that it is a fraternal order that seeks to provide some spiritual enlightenment to its members, or at least makes them better persons. I am particularly interested in some of the more esoteric aspects of the craft such as the Societas Rosicruciana in Anglia. I believe that joining the masons would enable me to be a better person.

Given that I have these characteristics would I make a suitable mason, and could anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

ps I am sorry if this is not the most suitable place to start my enquiry, ad for digging up an old thread


Just like here in the US you need to ask one to become one. What you need to do is talk to men you know to be masons. They may have a rule of a length of time that they must know you. If you do not know any men to be masons you can contact the nearest Masonic lodge, meet a few. After a time you would ask to apply to become a Mason. In some areas they make you ask three different times. You would have to ask, be refused, ask again, be refused, ask one more time get an application.

It all depends on what the Grand Lodge rules are and how closely the Lodge follows certain traditions.



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23spy
Does anyone have any experience of joniing a lodge in the UK? I have looked at the threads above and it appears that most of the masons posting here are based in north america [with the exception of Leveller - am I correct].

Given that I have these characteristics would I make a suitable mason, and could anyone point me in the right direction.

I am an English freemason, 23spy, and would be happy to answer any questions you might have. U2U me.



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I was amazed that we have a lodge here in HK and some of them were local Chinese. I was told that they do alot of charity stuff tho.



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Trinityman

I do not have 20 posts yet so I cannot U2U yet. I only found this out after I spent 10 minutes writing a message to you - oh well!. When I reach 20 posts I will try again. This should not be too long as there are many intersitng threads on this forum to post on.

Thansk



posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I heard that during the intiation they strip you down and make you ride a goat around the lodge. Is any one able to confirm this?



posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I heard they make you dance cheek to cheek with a bearded woman



posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   
No that is the Eagles.



posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by greyHybrid
I heard they make you dance cheek to cheek with a bearded woman


Hmm, I thought women were not allowed to be members. So if I grow a beard am I in????



posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   
not unless you worship the devil



posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Masons worship the devil? Hmmm, guess I will have to set some time aside to read up a little more. Are you sure its just not a standard boys club?



posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
yeah ever seen the order of the eastern star...symbol none other that the pentagram....hmmmmm



posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by No1tovote4
After a time you would ask to apply to become a Mason. In some areas they make you ask three different times. You would have to ask, be refused, ask again, be refused, ask one more time get an application.

It all depends on what the Grand Lodge rules are and how closely the Lodge follows certain traditions.



Dare I ask what the "Please?-No.-Please?-No!-Please?!-Ok,Maybe" is all about? If it's not allowed to be discussed for whatever reason, that's fine; I was just wondering.

Seems to me that I recall reading something about when someone wants to convert to Judaism, they are strongly discouraged by the Rabbi three times but then after that, the Rabbi will no longer try to dissuade them. I don't think the two instances are necessarily related in any way; I just found the similarity to be interesting.

Does anyone know of any other groups that do this is as well, whether it be due to tradition or some other reason?



posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   

After a time you would ask to apply to become a Mason. In some areas they make you ask three different times. You would have to ask, be refused, ask again, be refused, ask one more time get an application.


I have never heard of this at all. Does anyone know anything about this?



posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Interesting, I have done a lot of reading on the subject but have not encountered anything saying you had to request 3 times. I have contacted my local lodge twice and no one ever called me back. Maybe I'll have to try one more time.



posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I can only surmise that if this requirement is in fact real, it is unique to one, or a small number of Grand Lodges. With the current state of affairs, and the declining membership within the fraternity as a whole, I doubt that such an impediment would be prudent. No such rule exists in my Grand lodge (New Mexico), nor have I had the same related to me by any Grand Lodges I’ve visited… I’d be interested to the location of the Grand Lodge if such a rule did exist.

CowboyKnight, if the third time isn't a charm, contact another Lodge.


Three Knocks Monkeys, not just for gaining entrance anymore...



posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Yeah, I pass two on my way to work. So contacting another one wouldn't be problem. But I would perfer to go to the one closer to my house.



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join