posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 01:21 PM
After jurors deadlocked over it and the judge declared a mistrial the first time around, Charles McCoy, Jr. has dropped his insanity plea to clear the
way for him to plead guilty to murder and terrorism charges and proceed directly to the sentencing phase of his second trial, where he faces decades
in prison mental wards
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- The mentally ill man who admitted committing a series of highway shootings that terrorized central Ohio has agreed to drop his
insanity defense and plead guilty, a judge said Monday.
Charles McCoy Jr.'s plea would avoid a second trial. Jurors could not decide earlier this year whether McCoy was legally insane during the shootings,
which happened over five months in 2003 and 2004. One woman was killed.
Barring a last-minute change of heart by McCoy or prosecutors, McCoy will enter the plea Tuesday afternoon, Judge Charles Schneider said after meeting
with McCoy's attorney Monday.
Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
This should help move the legal process along, if it holds up. The guy is obviously crazy, but the crimes he committed are so heinous, he just needs
to go away for good. However they go about it.