It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Seeks Australian Nuclear Material.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
August 09, 2005

The Federal Government is in talks aimed at selling nuclear material to China.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said the Government was opening talks "on a nuclear co-operation agreement" that would allow China to buy Australian uranium.
He said the deal would "establish safeguards ... to ensure Australian uranium supplied to China is used exclusively for peaceful purposes".

Leading US think-tank Stratfor has warned the plan is likely to face stiff opposition from several quarters.

"Australia is headed for a heated debate pitting an unlikely alliance of anti-nuclear greens and China-phobic nationalists against the Government's desire to assert itself in Asia and to boost its revenue stream in the process," Stratfor said in an analysis today.

"The future of Australia as an Asian nation and the direction of massive Chinese energy consumption hang in the balance."

Article

Given China's secrecy, i fail to see how this agreement can be monitored in the future.

China will sign on the 'dotted line', but once the uranium is delivered, who knows what they have in mind. And Australia will sign too, as the income would/will be huge.

Related ATSNN Article

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
yeah i cant see the harm in it really. china already has plenty of nuclear weapons, sure they might use it to build 2000 more really unnessecary weapons, or they could use it to produce heaps of much needed energy.
either way I really cant see a bad side for australia,

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I think China is developing so quickly that the United States and the rest of the "free world" are affraid of having a new superpower to deal with. The United Sates fills everyones plates as is. Hopefully this doesn't become a problem that CNN can exploit and make everyone worried about.

join