It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret terror courts considered (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Controversial Special courts to be considered by the UK government.

These 'Secret Courts' can decide how long a suspect is detained and rulings would not be revealed to the public until they are tried. This will mean that the Home Secretary can hold a suspect without trial for longer than two weeks and possibly for up to three months. Suspects will also not be able to disclose why they are being charged under the secret court system.

news.bbc.co.uk
Special courts sitting in secret for pre-trial hearings in terror cases are being considered by the Home Office. Judges would weigh up sensitive evidence against suspects before cases went further.

In a separate move, judges may also be asked to oversee plans for detaining terror suspects for longer than two weeks before being charged.

The Home Office said details of how terror cases would be tried were still being worked out, but confirmed a move to judge-only courts was under "active consideration

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Why would you want to have special courts to sit in secret? This is ridiculous! You don't have secret courts in the UK! Maybe the old Soviet Union. What is going on?

The Home Office doesn't seem to be denying these claims.

[edit on 9-8-2005 by nikelbee]

[edit on 9-8-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
You forgot to write your intoductory paragraf. Please correct this.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I initially opposed the extended detention of suspects, but if they are capped at 3 months I believe its acceptable. Maybe institute financial compensation for suspects released after more than 2 weeks with no charge. The financial burden on innocent people held in such a manner will be very real and to not compensate them for injustified detention would be wrong.

With regards to secret hearings to extend a suspects detention without charge ("these are not secret terror courts"), I think it is fine so long as there is a judge present.

Im willing to place the freedom of my fellow citizens in the hands of the judiciary, that would be no different to what it usually has. Where I draw the line is having politicians having power to remove a fellow citizens freedom (i.e. control orders).

join