It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a God?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I know where "God" lives. God Lives Underwater

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   

What makes you think that people reject your fairy tale because "bad things happen"?

First it an't no fairy, you only wish it to be a fairy tale. Second not ever one rejects God because things, just alot, if not most. When things are good in life, God is good, but when bad things happen God is evil. Sometimes we have to realize things happen because God wants them to happen, and sometimes thing happen because there is evil in the world.
Come on now, you telling me nothing bad happen in your life has happen. The question is if they did happen are you trying not to believe in God because of it.

Have you never heard the expression "life's not fair"?

Of course life is not fair, but it does not stop the fact, that God is liveing, you can never change that fact ethier.

Your belief is asinine and nonsensical. It's a delusion rooted in childish ways of thinking.

Lol sorry to tell you this, but its not children who made the belief in God. great thinkers and men of God created religion. childish ways of thinking has nothing to do with it. How many five old or 12 year olds do you see trying to bring up a new religon.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Lol sorry to tell you this, but its not children who made the belief in God. great thinkers and men of God created religion. childish ways of thinking has nothing to do with it. How many five old or 12 year olds do you see trying to bring up a new religon.

Exactly, you said it. Men created religion, men of God is debatable. But I would bet that there are more kids than adults that really believe all the OT stories, like Eden, Noah, the lifespans of 900 plus years, etc.
Maybe they were created by parents to answer their kids questions, when they did not know the answer, but needed to get the kid to stop bugging them. So they said what they knew, and embellished it to make it more complete, since the actual story was not totally known. And over the years, the answers expanded to cover adult questions for the same reasons, to give answers to those who needed an answer.
As for kids starting a new religion, I guess Jesus would be one.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
First it an't no fairy, you only wish it to be a fairy tale.

Prove it. Until then, I will continue to state the facts. "God is a fairy tale" is a fact.

Second not ever one rejects God because things, just alot, if not most.

From your personal experience, how many people do you know who don't believe in god, and what fraction of them reject the concept because of bad things? Bad things may cause people to open thier minds, and for some it will cause them to reject god, but from my own dealings with other nonbelievers, most simply find the concepts rediculous, or are former Christians who finally sat down and actually read the Bible.

Come on now, you telling me nothing bad happen in your life has happen. The question is if they did happen are you trying not to believe in God because of it.

Of course bad things happen in my life, but that isn't the reason I find the idea of a magic invisible sky daddy to be rediculous.

Of course life is not fair, but it does not stop the fact, that God is liveing, you can never change that fact ethier.

You're welcome to present a case in support of your imaginary friend. Until then it's assumed to be false. All the assertions you are making are pointless if you don't back them up. You're just beating your chest. Endlessly repeating "god is real" doesn't make it true.

Your belief is asinine and nonsensical. It's a delusion rooted in childish ways of thinking.

Lol sorry to tell you this, but its not children who made the belief in God.

The belief in gods originated in astronomy. Monotheism is rooted in sun worship. The myths have evolved substantially since then.

Children do not typicaly use critical thinking. You are also not using critical thinking. Your failure to provide any form of argument in support of your rediculous assertions is proof of that. You believe because you have not advanced beyond the same way of thinking children use.

great thinkers and men of God created religion.

Fools and charlattans created religion. The thinkers came along later trying to harmonize all the nonsense. We call them 'apologists' today.

childish ways of thinking has nothing to do with it. How many five old or 12 year olds do you see trying to bring up a new religon.

I don't know, but plenty of them believe in imaginary friends, as you do.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
God cannot possibly exist due to the attributes that are given to it. The atttributes given are god is all powerfull, all seeing and all knowing.
1) All powerfull - If this is the case why then did god have to fight rahab/leviathon, why has he no jurisdiction in Hell and why does he have to get man to do his dirty work for him?
2)All seeing i.e god is everywhere - If this is so then why in Exodus did god wait till the last moment to tell moses that his people were worshipping a gold calf. Why does he descend on the tabernacle/temple as a cloud, why does he have to go and look when they are building the tower of babel?
3) All knowing - ties in with 2) also he asks adam and eve why they are hiding from him but the main thing is FATE and FREE WILL, if god made man with free will but then knows exactly what that man will do in his life that would imply that life is predetermined so free will is not an option. Therefore punishing man for his deeds is unfounded as god created that man to do the things he does.
From the above you can see the attributes are wrong so therefore what else is wrong.

G

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Maybe God, (now I'm an agnostic, mind you), is just another word for, existance of existance.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham

I don't care if there is or isn't.
I think you do care.

The fact that you won't settle for some made-up yarns and fairy tales says a lot--at least to me.

But don't shut your own mind off to any possibility, just based on the fabrications that abound--don't let those negative forces blind you to the positive. Both exist but only one gets you anywhere.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The way I see it is there is a possibilty that God exists but the probability is VERY VERY VERY highly unlikely. On saying that though there must have been something at the time to make the people believe whether it be God itself or an advance race of beings (human or not) as why would there be a lot of references to gods in ancient cultures?????

G

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Profound points, Matt--!

great thinkers and men of God created religion.

God did not create religion--God's creations created religion. Not the same thing. All a man can do is point another man toward the right direction. Sometimes religions can do that, but if they become attachments and are given authority over truth, many are misdirected and misled.

childish ways of thinking has nothing to do with it. How many five old or 12 year olds do you see trying to bring up a new religon.

Exactly.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Matthew 5:9 KJV

And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 18:3-4 KJV

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Here are a couple of places to read up on some stuff that might start you thinking on your own ideas about is there or isn't there a God.The Self-Aware Universe

The Fibonacci Sequence

Also, the law of conservation of matter, the second law of thermodynamics, and Bell's theorum all are sound proof (to me) that God is real--and God is not separate from Science--how can that be possible?

God ultimately is MIND.

If you can think (therefore I am) then you should know we're not alone and not just accidental miracles.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
If you can think (therefore I am) then you should know we're not alone and not just accidental miracles.

Non sequitur.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by speight89
Well, science has not been able to find this out, it is all about faith to what you think is right. But some questions still remain, how did plants and animals suddenly show up?

I never knew they suddenly popped up.

I always thought we had transitional fossils...

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Yes there is a God.

Trust this. Know this. You will have your proof soon enough.

But as for this discussion - which I don't often like to get involved in because some peoples hearts are hardened to the truth - the real argument is - is science and religion compatible?

And that breaks down into evolution vs. Genesis in the Bible.

As someone quite educated in Evolutionary Theory and many World Religons, I can only express what I believe - but I assure you it is an answer woth considering.

Evolutionary Theory is not compatible with the first parts of Genesis in a literal sense. You would have to believe that God put in transitional fossils as part of creation, and that goes against Gods character as he is not deceptive in nature.

So should we throw out the Bible as useless, rediculous myth?

Absolutely not - if we understand how parables are often used by teachers/profits in the Bible.

Many theologians believe the story of Job is not literal but rather a parable, and Jesus often used parables to explain things indirectly and simply while retaining their core meaning.

In that light revealing Genesis (the story of creation) to a pre-industrialized people (the Israelites) absolutley required a simplification that kept the core truth while using a parable to describe man and his place in the natural world.

And God will not reveal everything, directly, before our death because he created us to seek him, and to have Free Will.

Otherwise we are "redundant" to him, as he already has creations that don't have true free will (i.e. they have direct proof of his existance)

So once we see that the Creation part of Genesis is indeed most likely a parable, and that Jesus himself used parables in this manner, we can then begin to explore Evolutionary Theory.

When we look into this theory, we see that Evolution allows for the evolution of highly intelligent self awareness is a very short time. (even shorter if you consider most of the time in Evolution was spent going from single to multicellular organisms)

But it amazes me how so many scientists will not say the more obvious truth that - if this is true - and if particles in the universe can interact over vast disconnected distances (which we have proved entangled photons/particles can and do)- then the Universe would inevitably by Evolutionary Theory become self aware itself!

Especially when you understand that this didn't have to occur in the 14+ Billion years since the Big Bang, but could have occured over a much much longer period of unknown length before the Big Bang even occured.

No wonder God knows every hair on one's head - he is every particle that you are made of!

And now you can see the beauty of God's creation - he created the Big Bang using the very principles Steven Wolfram (the creater of Mathematica software) discusses in his latest book "A New Kind of Science"

www.wolframscience.com...

which details how extremely complex phenomena can be created by creating a virtual (or in this case real) universe in which certain established rules (i.e. mathmatical constants) are put into place.

And the end results of starting this process can be predicted and controlled by the proper establishment of initial variables.

So now you know - when God said we were created in his image he was telling the literal truth!

He created us by establishing the starting variables and constants, which led to us evolving physical forms and self awareness, (from his very body - the universe), just as he himself evolved out of the very nature of the Universe.

And that nature (of the Universe) is that it takes as much energy for something to exist as to not exist on an extremely microscopic level.

Therfore particles exist, which evolved self awareness through natural evolutionary processes, which grew until all particles were part of it, which (at some point) created us in its image - a complex and inevitable result of the evolutionary process based on the matematical constants and varible values it manipulated at the beginning of the Big Bang.

And since it is in God's will that we have Free Will, he will never allow us to have direct scientific proof of his existance, a feat easily accomplished by the way he "began" our universe, and the fact that he himself is the universe and therefore cannot be observed seperately from it.

As for evil, he simply allows it to exist because it is the standard by which good is observable and definable.

And he made the Universe in such a way that it allows each of us, his self aware creations, to chose good over evil.

Or to choose to be in ignorance or in the delusion that Science and God are mutually exclusive.

The choice to believe or not believe is up to you - and the consequences of your choice will be final when you die.

It is in one's best interest to get all the facts before rushing to judgement.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Can something come from nothing?

Rewrite physical laws and you can dispell God, until then your stuck with the Creator.

Whether your ego chooses to believe is another story.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Can something come from nothing?

Rewrite physical laws and you can dispell God, until then your stuck with the Creator.

Whether your ego chooses to believe is another story.

Your own arguement if flawed.

Think about it for a long moment...

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
It's a rhetorical satirical question....you didn't think that long.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthMagnet
Yes there is a God.

Says you.

Trust this. Know this. You will have your proof soon enough.

I have no reason to trust you. You are assumed to be delusional.

But as for this discussion - which I don't often like to get involved in because some peoples hearts are hardened to the truth

...and some people's hearts are heardened toward patent nonsense as well. Let's explore that a bit further...

- the real argument is - is science and religion compatible?

And that breaks down into evolution vs. Genesis in the Bible.

That's right, let's just discount all the other silly creation and reincarnation myths and concentrate on absurd Biblical mythology instead.

Evolutionary Theory is not compatible with the first parts of Genesis in a literal sense.

Agreed. Now which one should be rejected as a fable?

So should we throw out the Bible as useless, rediculous myth?

Yes.

But it amazes me how so many scientists will not say the more obvious truth that - if this is true - and if particles in the universe can interact over vast disconnected distances (which we have proved entangled photons/particles can and do)- then the Universe would inevitably by Evolutionary Theory become self aware itself!

Non sequitur.

which details how extremely complex phenomena can be created by creating a virtual (or in this case real) universe in which certain established rules (i.e. mathmatical constants) are put into place.

Which of course disproves the creationist nonsense that complexity can not arise without an "intelligent designer".

The choice to believe or not believe is up to you - and the consequences of your choice will be final when you die.

You don't have to wait until you die for the consequences to manifest themselves. You're life is ruled by rediculous myths and fables that you refuse to critically investigate. You are wasting your life believing this nonsense. That is your consequence. I laugh at you right now, while you delude yourself that you will laugh at me later. Who is the fool?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Who is the fool?

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, so do the math.
Meanwhile did nothing come before the big bang, do the physics.

Now who's really the fool that gambles with potentials and voids science?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, so do the math.

The math says I have my sanity to lose if I attempt to force myself to believe something rediculous. There are real costs associated with self delusion, including a life time of wasted Sunday mornings, and donations, expectations of puritan behavior, etc.

Meanwhile did nothing come before the big bang, do the physics.

No one knows if there was a 'before the big bang'. But if there was, there is no reason to believe it was a supernatural cause, but if it was, there is no reason to believe that supernatural cause is sentient, but if it is there is no reason to believe the being cares about us, but if it does, there is no reason to believe it is interested in faith, but if it is, there is no reason to believe it is interested in your brand of faith.

Claiming knowledge where knowledge is unattainable makes you foolish, not wise.

Now who's really the fool that gambles with potentials and voids science?

Nothing in science has anything to say about faith.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:40 AM
link   

The math says I have my sanity to lose if I attempt to force myself to believe something rediculous. There are real costs associated with self delusion, including a life time of wasted Sunday mornings, and donations, expectations of puritan behavior, etc.

Buy, consume, obey=your already insane, there's no sane model on Earth.
Let's see, sane is: pay taxes, feed body, excrete waste, buy gadgets, abuse chemicals, pratice self gratification, complain and blame...good sane plan ehh?

Believing in a Creator as nothing to do the human manipulations or perversions of institutionalized religon. Grasping the infininite, lies beyond your limited bi-lateral organic brain. Human fodder making machines are incapable of grasping little more than their own ego, and you assumed that role quite well. Reward for belief in God, if God actually does exist is infinite...on the other hand your reward is finite and nothing, so you lose.

Pascal's Wager...read it

No one knows if there was a 'before the big bang'. But if there was, there is no reason to believe it was a supernatural cause, but if it was, there is no reason to believe that supernatural cause is sentient, but if it is there is no reason to believe the being cares about us, but if it does, there is no reason to believe it is interested in faith, but if it is, there is no reason to believe it is interested in your brand of faith.

Claiming knowledge where knowledge is unattainable makes you foolish, not wise.

No one knows is exactly the point! You throwout statistical probablilities and chopped off your head with that idealism based on lack of knowledge. Your no better than a fundamentalist, same nut, different polarity.

Faith is for luddites that can't handle the world without back pats. I'll go with the odds backed with scientific proof there is order in the cosmos, while you gambled off your potential for egos sake.

As for your numerous labels of supernatural, caring, and sentients, what hat you pull all that crap out of...I said nothing to that effect.

About two-thirds of scientists believe in God, according to a new survey that uncovered stark differences based on the type of research they do.

Your in the minority and considered a deviant in principles of psychology too.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join